Planefinder

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before :?:

http://planefinder.net/

Found it by accident and after watching for a while and running outside to watch the planes fly over thought it might come in handy :)

I've seen different versions of this (flightaware.com for example). Be aware that it only shows aircraft on IFR flight plans (a fraction of all flights and a tiny fraction of flights close to the ground) so don't expect to use it to keep your P2V out of my props. ;)

I have had it a while now, kinda mind boggling how many planes are in the sky at any one time.

That
saltire said:
I have had it a while now, kinda mind boggling how many planes are in the sky at any one time.

That's what got me when I seen it first time :shock: the air traffic control staff must be stressed

I've got no intentions of going up 35000ft ;) just nice to know where the airline flight paths are

That data is 15 minutes old at the best. AFAIK, you don't have to file a plan for VFR trips. Best bet is to stay low and fly safely.

FSJ Guy said:
That data is 15 minutes old at the best. AFAIK, you don't have to file a plan for VFR trips. Best bet is to stay low and fly safely.

Well I tested it today and every time it said there was a flight passing over my house there was a plane in the sky going in the right direction?, I don't fly here anyways as I believe I'm too close to an airport (10 mile).

My partner thinks I'm going to turn into a plane spotter :)

NEILS said:
FSJ Guy said:

Well I tested it today and every time it said there was a flight passing over my house there was a plane in the sky going in the right direction?, I don't fly here anyways as I believe I'm too close to an airport (10 mile).

In the US at least, flight plans are not required for VFR flight (I haven't filed a VFR flight plan since I was a student). Flights above 18,000 feet must be flown IFR, so you can usually bet that if it's a jet it'll be IFR.

NEILS said:
FSJ Guy said:

You are not too close to an airport if you're at 10 miles !

Awesome app! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20