Plane Pilots claiming near misses with drones at 4000ft????

i saw that report yesterday... under the title of "drones are a nuisance" on the BBC.... :mad:

They cant possibly be talking about the phantom 2 or 3 ... at 4k feet the 737 would have been well on its way to 250-300 mph

probably a fixed wing drone of some kind

Reactions: movius
Whether or not in theses instances it's true or not, it beggars belief that anyone would fly a drone, model aircraft, helicopter or even a Chinese paper lantern within a few miles of an airport or under its approach or holding paths. This type of action and the negative publicity it creates, can only act to restrict still further the opportunities for flying either for fun or commercially.

We all know that being able to fly doesn't necessarily mean we should. Commonsense as well as experience has to play a huge part in safe flying. As a new and inexperienced flyer I visit this forum, and others like it, for guidance, help, advice and, importantly, some light hearted banter. I've never been disappointed. However, you can't learn commonsense, you've either got it you haven't.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I, personally think it's just a blatant lie made up by an organisation trying to influence public opinion.

AMA investigated these more than 700 "close calls" and found that only about 20 were real.

Pilots see UFOS also, but guess what, we don't really have any evidence of that either....

Reactions: 185EZ
Not sure why pilots would lie, the paperwork involved in reporting near misses is, I understand, onerous. Also, BBC use drones so they are effectively shooting themselves in the head if they are trying to influence the CAA to crack down on pilots. There has to be something to these reports but of course, they don't necessarily mean they were drones. A plane flying at 4000 ft has got to be doing over 200+ miles an hour so the "in contact" time for a 1 - 2 foot drone is probably about 2 seconds or less. In that time the pilot has to aquire it (see it), figure out what it is, access the danger and react. Likely not possible in most cases.

Whatever the facts, "news" such as this has dubious value and only serves to tighten restrictions on how, when and where we can fly.

Not sure why pilots would lie, the paperwork involved in reporting near misses is, I understand, onerous.
Back in the 70s pilots reported seeing lots of UFOs and people though many must be alien spacecraft.
Nowdays pilots are being bombarded with news stories telling them that there is a plague of drones and the FAA is begging pilots to report them.
Pilots are still seeing things they can't identify but with the constant focus on drones, some are thinking the small bright blur they see out of the corner of their eye at speed must be a drone.
Have a look at just a few of the many very dubious incidents from the FAA's database to see what you think.
i-hMKvcBR-L.jpg

Reactions: movius
I tend to believe just the report where police arrested a man for flying near the Washington Monument. Not at all sure about any of the reports citing drones above 4000 ft. Great post Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic