PL/ND versus ND filters

Reaction score
Hello all,

Being an extremely amateur photographer and a beginner pilot I need some advice on filter selection.

I'm considering the Neewer 4pc PL/ND set (4, 8, 16, 32)

Neewer - NEEWER (4 PACK) ND-PL FILTER SET FOR DJI PHANTOM 3(ND4,8,16,32(MC-12)/PL(MC-12))

And the Taco-RC 4pc ND set (4, 8, 16, 32)

TACO-RC ND filters set (ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Phantom 3 Professional Advance Free Shipping

I need to know what the difference is between the polarized ND's (Neewer) and the non-polarized ND's (Taco-RC). What effect do the polarized filters produce versus the non-polarized? Is there a difference in the perceived color? Which is better? Is it personal choice or are there major differences?

The Neewer PL/ND's are almost $20 cheaper than the Taco-RC ND's which is definitely better for my budget but I'd hate to waste the money if they're the wrong choice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great comparison video! Thanks spooky.

It's interesting that on the ND 8 the non-polarized versions color looked more vibrant than the polarized version but on the ND 16 it was the opposite.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a comparison of the ND 32 as the non-polarized looked a little saturated.

Can anyone attest to Neewer's quality? I've heard good things about Taco-RC but not much about Neewer...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great comparison video! Thanks spooky.

It's interesting that on the ND 8 the non-polarized versions color looked more vibrant than the polarized version but on the ND 16 it was the opposite.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a comparison of the ND 32 as the non-polarized looked a little saturated.

Can anyone attest to Neewer's quality? I've heard good things about Taco-RC but not much about Neewer...

I have not used the Neewer.. so this is not first person opinion..
However, have read multiple comments (past posts here & review comments on Amazon) that Neewer results in a slightly purple tinge on the video/photos.. So be aware of that. Plz do read the reviews on Amazon for Neewer.

I have not used the Neewer.. so this is not first person opinion..
However, have read multiple comments (past posts here & review comments on Amazon) that Neewer results in a slightly purple tinge on the video/photos.. So be aware of that. Plz do read the reviews on Amazon for Neewer.

I read the Amazon reviews (and saw the one about the purple tint) and actually they're not for the 4pc set, they're for the 58mm ND adjustable filter (ND2 through ND400).

The listing for the 4pc set has multiple products (under the color selection) and none of the reviews are for it, mostly the adjustable filter. I hate it when Amazon does that. It's very confusing and I've been burned before by not paying attention to the actual product being reviewed.

I finally have some sun here in South Florida, I will be testing my Neewer later today and I'll post.

I read the Amazon reviews (and saw the one about the purple tint) and actually they're not for the 4pc set, they're for the 58mm ND adjustable filter (ND2 through ND400).

The listing for the 4pc set has multiple products (under the color selection) and none of the reviews are for it, mostly the adjustable filter. I hate it when Amazon does that. It's very confusing and I've been burned before by not paying attention to the actual product being reviewed.

I was going to say the same thing, but I suspect that the seller is re-using a listing in which he/ she already has reviews to publish their new items to make it look like they were reviewed.

I finally have some sun here in South Florida, I will be testing my Neewer later today and I'll post.

Thanks. I look forward to your thoughts. It's gonna rain all weekend up here in central Florida so no flying for me...[emoji36]

image.jpeg

Lol, sorry my bad, that was actually a pic from my house using my iPhone 6 showing the conditions here in Boca Raton, FL. I'm headed out soon and will test it on the golf course. I'll try all of them and post the pics. :)

I like the Polar Pro 3 pack and 6 pack, however I have only tried them in winter lighting conditions, with and without sun and with and without snow.

I "think" I see a very slight tint of red but never have pinned it down definitely.

Hopefully member msinger's testing will tell us which ones tint red/green, etc. and help determine overall quality.

Just updated my thread with some results...there is a purple tint on the ND16 and higher I believe, but this is probably because the Neewer filters have a PL on them and I didn't aim them.

Neewer MC PL-ND 4/8/16/32 Set

Just updated my thread with some results...there is a purple tint on the ND16 and higher I believe, but this is probably because the Neewer filters have a PL on them and I didn't aim them.

Neewer MC PL-ND 4/8/16/32 Set

Thanks.. good input..

Just like
Jcarlson1701
I am also looking at the Neewer set & TacoRc 3pc or 4pc set (Plus a Slip on CPL when required..).. I was more tilted towards TacoRc..

your results with Neewer will be very valuable in making a decision..

Pretty golf course and nice bright day.
Are those low resolution or from the camera?
It must be the filtering but when I enlarge them the detail gets worse up to about the ND16 especially in the center, then settle out some but lose detail as expected somewhat with the 32.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, after reading a bit more about the PL filters, it seems I might have messed up as I didn't notice I had to set the PL level before putting these on. I'll have to make another test. I'm not too happy with the results because I also notice some degradation as Air Ontario did. Band318, I could describe the weight as two of the regular UV lenses of the Phantom 3. It doesn't seem to affect it though.

Thanks everyone, after reading a bit more about the PL filters, it seems I might have messed up as I didn't notice I had to set the PL level before putting these on. I'll have to make another test. I'm not too happy with the results because I also notice some degradation as Air Ontario did. Band318, I could describe the weight as two of the regular UV lenses of the Phantom 3. It doesn't seem to affect it though.

How do you set the PL level?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik