Pix4dmapper app on Android

You probably should watch the webinar on this topic. It can be found on the pix4d website. Basically, you create a new project and instead of selecting images, you select multiple projects to be combined.

How many images did you have in your project that took 20 min to process? I processed a project with 109 images on an i5 with 8gb ram and it took around 5 hours.

fillupc said:
You probably should watch the webinar on this topic. It can be found on the pix4d website. Basically, you create a new project and instead of selecting images, you select multiple projects to be combined.

How many images did you have in your project that took 20 min to process? I processed a project with 109 images on an i5 with 8gb ram and it took around 5 hours.

Thanks for the info. I will look for that. As far as my project.. it only consisted of 24 images. As i mentioned I just did a quick little mission so I could see how the software worked.

fillupc said:
I have used the app along with the desktop mapper application to generate a very impressive RGB 3D point cloud and ortho image of entire site. Others above are correct. Multiple flight missions can be combined in one project. Also, the grid size is limited due to battery. A 150m x 150m grid will use 60 to 80 percent of the battery due to phantom moving at 2m/s while collecting images along the grid lines.

The android app has room for improvement, but is a must have to use the desktop app. The app collects much higher accuracy geo reference data for each photo than the phantom stores on the sd card.

So this app doesn't record more detailed data as EXIF info in each JPEG? It's saved as some separate entity?

That is correct. If the images are transferred using the app, EXIF data is much more precise than if the the images are directly copied form the sd card.

The app creates a data file on the phone or tablet that is separate from the jpg folder. It looks like this:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... -32-33.png

Notice that each "image path" shows the "gps alt" which is actually the agl (above ground level).

Edit: I don't understand and maybe someone can help me on this: The PIX4D program asks for the images but doesn't ask for the data file shown above. The program apparently picks up the GPS latitude and longitude coordinates from the JPG's rather than from the data file. There is a small discrepancy between the coordinates from those two sources.
The final image map output is very low resolution and full of holes.
I tried clearing the GPS coordinates from the "Image Properties" screen but that left an even worse final result.
The PIX4D instructions clearly state to not use the jpgs from the SD card because the embedded GPS coordinates are not accurate but then the program apparently does just that---uses the coordinates from the jpgs rather than from the data file. ?????

Edit: I see now that clicking on the *.p4d file prior to opening the PIX4d program will automatically start the process. I assume this then uses the more precise set of geotags.

Tried to use this app today with no success. I manualy flew the phantom to a safe place and then started the mission in the app, but the phantom didn't start the flight plan. Should i wait a little longer for the phantom to start flying by itself?

By the way, after that, i discovered that props and meat don't combine very well together... I catched the phantom by hand and turned off the motors (as i normally do), and when resting him on the ground to try to start a mission from the ground the motors started spinning and hit my hand (i was holding the phantom from above by that time). Guess my quadcopter started the mission in the wrong time...

Attachments

• beware.JPG
    beware.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 423
opassac said:
Tried to use this app today with no success. I manualy flew the phantom to a safe place and then started the mission in the app, but the phantom didn't start the flight plan. Should i wait a little longer for the phantom to start flying by itself?

By the way, after that, i discovered that props and meat don't combine very well together... I catched the phantom by hand and turned off the motors (as i normally do), and when resting him on the ground to try to start a mission from the ground the motors started spinning and hit my hand (i was holding the phantom from above by that time). Guess my quadcopter started the mission in the wrong time...

Ouch! Hope it's not as severe as it looks.
There is a delay in processing the information.
From what I heard today at the pix4d booth, you can always abort mission and take over control by switching the s1 switch back and forth 3 or 4 times.

hionbusa said:
opassac said:

Ouch! Hope it's not as severe as it looks.
There is a delay in processing the information.
From what I heard today at the pix4d booth, you can always abort mission and take over control by switching the s1 switch back and forth 3 or 4 times.

No, not as bad as it looks, but i had to take 3 stitches. It was almost worth it, since the doctor was awsome :cool:
As soon as my hand and the weather allows, will try again, waiting a little longer and/or starting from the ground, i really would like to use this app, even if just for fun...

Wow, an awsome start... years back I use to play in 3d imagery using terrogo and downloaded maps.... eventually lost interest after a computer crash.... I am so excited to get into it again from a uav user, instead of mapping downloads.... Just discovered this app, I cant wait to give it a try....

Just hope I dont lose my Vision + being that it as all Beta. When the weather is decent, I will take it to our police training range, which sits down in a quarry, a few buildings, and a lot of cliffs... will post my results when done.

The latest version of the BETA app seems to be more stable now, and for me has less app crashes and failures. The added features like angle of camera and picture icons broaden the experience so things seem to be improving.
On the 1st video below I used the previous version which the app crashed half way through so I continued it manually.

Here are my latest test examples:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTU_YRoF6lY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1UqM7g1coc[/youtube]

jeppeson2001 said:
The latest version of the BETA app seems to be more stable now, and for me has less app crashes and failures. The added features like angle of camera and picture icons broaden the experience so things seem to be improving.
On the 1st video below I used the previous version which the app crashed half way through so I continued it manually.

Here are my latest test examples:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTU_YRoF6lY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1UqM7g1coc[/youtube]

Pretty awesome!

The app is 100% unusable due to crashing for no apparent reason other than touching the screen. I have emailed support with zero response. I am posting here because it appears that Gabe or whomever monitors the forum from pix4d will answer here rather than direct emails. I would really like to try it out but it simply does not work.

Lucan said:
The app is 100% unusable due to crashing for no apparent reason other than touching the screen. I have emailed support with zero response. I am posting here because it appears that Gabe or whomever monitors the forum from pix4d will answer here rather than direct emails. I would really like to try it out but it simply does not work.

Can you give any specifics? Devices you have tried it on, etc? I have used it successfully on a Samsung Note 2, Note 4, Motorolo Xoom, and Verizon Ellipsis

I am attempting to use it on a new Samsung tab 4. It crashes immediately upon touching screen and constantly reopens and crashes over and over. I have uninstalled and reinstalled countless times. Put in a new SD card just to run the app on. There really are no other specifics to give. I love coffee's dji app runs just fine on the tab 4. I normally use an iPad to run the stock dji app and got the android specifically for pix4d mapper.. at this point I have given up. Would be nice if support would respond or come out with a version for iPad

Lucan said:
I am attempting to use it on a new Samsung tab 4. It crashes immediately upon touching screen and constantly reopens and crashes over and over. I have uninstalled and reinstalled countless times. Put in a new SD card just to run the app on. There really are no other specifics to give. I love coffee's dji app runs just fine on the tab 4. I normally use an iPad to run the stock dji app and got the android specifically for pix4d mapper.. at this point I have given up. Would be nice if support would respond or come out with a version for iPad

I had the same issue too..

I completed a full mission today for the first time. I am using a cheap Lenovo tablet. I haven't had any problems with the app crashing, but during my first two attempts to use the app it did not take any pictures. It simply flew the route and the hovered at the finish point instead of RTH.

I took a quick look at the app. Interesting. Then I looked at some of the pricing for "licenses" and nearly choked. Are you able to do much of anything without selling your car and sending them the money?

Lucan said:

I spoke to him last Saturday at the Los Angeles Drone Expo. He said that he still working on some of the bugs.
Referred to this thread.

I just found this post by chance =). About the crashes that Lucan experiments, it might be due to the hardware acceleration when we draw the map (using MapBox) on some devices. We are investigating into this, but our devices actually work. Stay tuned with the new versions: we are really working tightly with DJI to make the App more stable and compatible with as many devices as possible (and we released a new version last week)! Anyway, for the hardware acceleration problem, it will probably be fixed in a later release, sorry for that.

When it comes to the pricing, you have to be careful: the Discovery license is free, and it allows you to make reconstructions and videos. If you are not a professional, then I thing that this is already quite nice (given that the App is free as well) ;-). You need to pay a license if you want to output the results, which is actually used by professionals.

Cheers

This app keeps Freezing on my s5, or it won't let me click next, even when it is already connected to wifi

And even if i am able to press next, the next screen with the checklist days my s1 switch is wrong and it can't connect to GS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl