Pix4d and Sketchfab

Reaction score
I am experimenting with 3d modeling using my drone photos and had my first semi-successful mission the other day in Virginia. Check out the model of the Workhouse Arts Center, a converted prison:
https://sketchfab.com/models/8f4a2785277b43c790af0cb3f455ae32
Barracks by Pix4D SA. - 3D model

I took 150 jpgs of the grounds, including about 75 in a grid pattern with the camera pointed directly down over the site and the remainder oblique shots of the buildings. I did not use any software to fly the flight path--just eyeballed it actually. For that I could have used Pix4d Capture. Next time.
To process the images, I used Pix4d Mapper trial software and it took Pix4d about 1 hour to generate the model, which they place on Sketchfab. The model on Sketchfab is entirely owned by Pix4d.

For those with experience using Pix4d,
  1. What exactly do I need to purchase from Pix4d to make sure that I "own" the models after processing, so I can do things like place on Sketchfab and on other sites in my name? Is the Pix4d mapper? I'm assuming I would need to buy the Pix4d Mapper licence or Pix4d Model license and a high-performance laptop to process the images at home, rather than the cloud.
  2. Is there a market for these models though? I don't want to invest in a gamer laptop and in the Pix4d Mapper software (which is $3,500/year/ monthly $350) and end up using just for a hobby.

Did you make any progress with this? I have a friend who is a town planner .He wants me to try Pix4D on our farm .I think he can process it through his company at no cost to me so I was thinking of trying it out

Did you make any progress with this? I have a friend who is a town planner .He wants me to try Pix4D on our farm .I think he can process it through his company at no cost to me so I was thinking of trying it out
I have made some great models but have not yet sold any. Have reached out to a few historical societies but didn't get any interest.

I post the models on Sketchfab. Fun hobby but without hitting the sales game hard it's difficult to see who would actually pay for the models.

We were just going to experiment with it .My mate is is involved with 3D imaging with his work all the time . I'm not sure what we would use it for yet but it is interesting technology.
Did you end up using the app to fly a set pattern ? I read another post (an old one) that said it would only do 150m x150m at a time and that Maps Made Easy was better for bigger areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan