Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Pitching forward with takeoff

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by Mattsimok, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mattsimok

I've began experiencing an odd inconvenience, I can't confirm when it started occurring, but it was prior to installing my gimbal. Every time I take off from the ground or platform, my craft always pitches forward during take off whether it has a camera attached or not, it always rights itself no problem, but It always makes my heart drop to see it look like its about to take a nose dive. I haven't changed any settings, I have extended landing gear, prop guards, 9450 props, a gimbal attached. Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can correct it?

~Thanks

2. Tallyrver

I had the same issue after installing a gimbal and camera. I went to our favorite camping spot ,eased up on the throttle and bam! Broke my two front props and shredded my prop guards. My issue was the Phantom was front heavy from the added stuff. Once it gets in the air the flight control evens it out. I learned to pull back on the right stick a little and hit the throttle hard until it gets a few feet up. Try that.

Wayne

3. Monte55

I have two P1 quads. They both behave the same. If I just raise throttle to take off, it is very sluggish. It may tip. I have both quads S1 switches set to manual on lowest position. When ready to liftoff, I flip S1 to manual and quad takes off smartly and once up to about 6 feet altitude, immediately flip to GPS or ATTI. Works every time. I would like to have lower position of S1 set to failsafe but I can't have it both ways. Taking off in gps or atti is so slow, it's really iffy if it will take off or tip and have a prop strike.

4. Ramz

The IMU calibration on a level surface helped mine considerably.

5. Mattsimok

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try! Thanks!

I have calibrated my IMU on a level surface numerous times

6. IflyinWY

Not that we want to add any more weight, but maybe for testing purposes, you could put some weight on the *** end and see what happens.

7. jerrymac12000

All of the Phantoms have a center of balance problem. The quad was designed with slightly more weight in the front than in the back of the quad. Therefore, the quad will tend to pitch forward on takeoff. If not throttle is applied on takeoff, the quad will tend to roll on liftoff rather than climb into the air. Place the quad on a flat level surface. Look at it from the side. If the camera or camera/gimbal are installed, you will notice it is forward of the center. If you are using the FC40 camera and mount, the mount can be reversed to make the camera into a more centered position. If you are using a gimbal or different camera mount, many times the mound has an additional screw hole so the mount can be move more toward the center of the craft. If you don't want to change the configuration, just be sure and give max take off power until the quad is in the air.

#7 jerrymac12000, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  8. syotr

#8 syotr, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  9. IflyinWY

Pretty good stuff jerrymac12000. Do you really go to "MAX POWER"? I've used lots, but never max.

10. jerrymac12000

I used the words MAX POWER because many new users don't give the quad enough power on take off. They understand the MAX POWER words. Hopefully, later after a few successful take offs the user will adjust the amount of take off power required.

varangian likes this.
  11. N017RW

While I don't have an FC40 but a P2, I use MAX throttle. No need to worry about 80, 85, 90% or whatever.

12. IflyinWY

Ok, thanks guys, I'm catching on. ;)

13. Phantom owner

I've got the same problem done every calibration I can even updated firmware but still doing any ideas to fix this would be great

14. Phantom owner

Need help I've got the same issue updated firmware an calibration done all I can do any ideas

15. Beario

I usually give full throttle for takeoff.