Pitching forward with takeoff

Reaction score
I've began experiencing an odd inconvenience, I can't confirm when it started occurring, but it was prior to installing my gimbal. Every time I take off from the ground or platform, my craft always pitches forward during take off whether it has a camera attached or not, it always rights itself no problem, but It always makes my heart drop to see it look like its about to take a nose dive. I haven't changed any settings, I have extended landing gear, prop guards, 9450 props, a gimbal attached. Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can correct it?

~Thanks

I had the same issue after installing a gimbal and camera. I went to our favorite camping spot ,eased up on the throttle and bam! Broke my two front props and shredded my prop guards. My issue was the Phantom was front heavy from the added stuff. Once it gets in the air the flight control evens it out. I learned to pull back on the right stick a little and hit the throttle hard until it gets a few feet up. Try that.

Wayne

I have two P1 quads. They both behave the same. If I just raise throttle to take off, it is very sluggish. It may tip. I have both quads S1 switches set to manual on lowest position. When ready to liftoff, I flip S1 to manual and quad takes off smartly and once up to about 6 feet altitude, immediately flip to GPS or ATTI. Works every time. I would like to have lower position of S1 set to failsafe but I can't have it both ways. Taking off in gps or atti is so slow, it's really iffy if it will take off or tip and have a prop strike.

I have two P1 quads. They both behave the same. If I just raise throttle to take off, it is very sluggish. It may tip. I have both quads S1 switches set to manual on lowest position. When ready to liftoff, I flip S1 to manual and quad takes off smartly and once up to about 6 feet altitude, immediately flip to GPS or ATTI. Works every time. I would like to have lower position of S1 set to failsafe but I can't have it both ways. Taking off in gps or atti is so slow, it's really iffy if it will take off or tip and have a prop strike.

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try! Thanks!

I have calibrated my IMU on a level surface numerous times

Not that we want to add any more weight, but maybe for testing purposes, you could put some weight on the *** end and see what happens.

All of the Phantoms have a center of balance problem. The quad was designed with slightly more weight in the front than in the back of the quad. Therefore, the quad will tend to pitch forward on takeoff. If not throttle is applied on takeoff, the quad will tend to roll on liftoff rather than climb into the air. Place the quad on a flat level surface. Look at it from the side. If the camera or camera/gimbal are installed, you will notice it is forward of the center. If you are using the FC40 camera and mount, the mount can be reversed to make the camera into a more centered position. If you are using a gimbal or different camera mount, many times the mound has an additional screw hole so the mount can be move more toward the center of the craft. If you don't want to change the configuration, just be sure and give max take off power until the quad is in the air.

Last edited:
All of the Phantoms have a center of balance problem. The quad was designed with slightly more weight in the front than in the back of the quad. Therefore, the quad will tend to pitch forward on takeoff. If not throttle is applied on takeoff, the quad will tend to roll on liftoff rather than climb into the air. Place the quad on a flat level surface. Look at it from the side. If the camera or camera/gimbal are installed, you will notice it is forward of the center. If you are using the FC40 camera and mount, the mount can be reversed to make the camera into a more centered position. If you are using a gimbal or different camera mount, many times the mound has an additional screw hole so the mount can be move more toward the center of the craft. If you don't want to change the configuration, just be sure and give max take off power until the quad is in the air.

Pretty good stuff jerrymac12000. Do you really go to "MAX POWER"? I've used lots, but never max.

I used the words MAX POWER because many new users don't give the quad enough power on take off. They understand the MAX POWER words. Hopefully, later after a few successful take offs the user will adjust the amount of take off power required.

Reactions: varangian
While I don't have an FC40 but a P2, I use MAX throttle. No need to worry about 80, 85, 90% or whatever.

Ok, thanks guys, I'm catching on. ;)

I've began experiencing an odd inconvenience, I can't confirm when it started occurring, but it was prior to installing my gimbal. Every time I take off from the ground or platform, my craft always pitches forward during take off whether it has a camera attached or not, it always rights itself no problem, but It always makes my heart drop to see it look like its about to take a nose dive. I haven't changed any settings, I have extended landing gear, prop guards, 9450 props, a gimbal attached. Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can correct it?

~Thanks
I've got the same problem done every calibration I can even updated firmware but still doing any ideas to fix this would be great

Also have the same prob. I extended the landing gear with carbon tubes for extra security and i hit full throttle when getting airborn. Prob fixed.

Attachments

• 16406951_10208304925561074_7373932382415695194_n.jpg
    16406951_10208304925561074_7373932382415695194_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 408
I am about to install a DYC 3-axis gimbal on my P1 so I was interested to read about these issues but I was already anticipating C of G issues because of the extra (front loaded) weight I will be adding, especially with a GoPro attached. Having recently switched from 250 sized FPV quads where this issue doesn't really make itself felt (simply because on take-off it's all about gaining forward momentum and not hovering or gaining altitude) I think we all have to accept that forward pitch is always going to be an issue unless extra weight is added behind the gimbal to correct the C of G. So more "Punch" on take-off for me!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik