Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Pitch, Roll and Yaw settings?

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by AgentOrange2015, Mar 19, 2015.

1. AgentOrange2015

I have been flying with the default settings and know there has to be better settings for recording video. My Phantom 2 responds very quickly, as I would imagine most do, but there has to be a way to slow down the transition when turning the Phantom around while hovering at height. It does not have to be at height, but just slow it down so that everything stays in focus and I have a smooth looking video when turning around, either right or left. Right now, I barely have to touch my control and the Phantom will whip around very quickly, but if I am recording, that makes for an unacceptable movement. Your suggestions as to improved settings for pitch, roll and yaw would be very much appreciated by yours truly.

K.M.Harp
    100% Disabled Nam Vet 71-72
    In Arkansas :p

2. loganboyd

My science teacher in high school flew F4 Phantoms with AgentOrange!

You can try a couple of things. The YAW Gains are under basic settings and I believe that is only for the Phantom to maintain it's attitude and is not for stick inputs. I do not believe that changing those will have any effect on your yaw input. The stick input Gains are the Pitch and Roll gains settings not labelled BASIC.

Some people try taping popsicle sticks or use rubberbands to limit the yaw motion.

You can also upgrade a much better transmitter that would have exponential settings that would allow you to tame the yaw movement.

3. jerrymac12000

Go to the search box. Type in "better yaw control mod". That will give you the basic information to take care of the problems.

4. jason

5. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

6. IflyinWY

7. AgentOrange2015

Thanks Guys for all the input and suggestions, I normally fly in Naza mode and not Phantom. Will check out the reads and info you posted.
    As for an F-4 Phantom Pilot flying or spraying Agent Orange, I think that might be off. Most of it was sprayed by Helicopters and retrofitted Cargo Planes. My reason for choosing that handle was because in 2001 I was diagnosed with cancer caused by Agent Orange and have lived longer than any other Vietnam Veteran who had it. That was because I took part in an Experimental Treatment Program back then and it put the cancer in remission. So I was the first Vietnam Vet to ever survive that form of cancer. You can say and I believe that "God" stepped in and saved my life back then.

Regards,
    K.M.Harp :p

8. loganboyd

Yes, I believe he both flew F4's and had developed side effects from Agent Orange. Probably not the best practice to spray things from a really fast jet! May the world never have to go through anything like Vietnam ever again. Thank you for your service and congrats on living through and beyond your cancer!

9. Andrey320

Wasn't Steve supposed to make a kit for this?
    Paging Steve!

10. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

He forgot ;)

11. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

:D Thank You for your service sir and I believe you are right you did have someone by your side and hope he continues to bless you !!

12. jason

He was correct that F4's were used to spray AgentOrange in a test to see if high speed spraying would work. There were 9 or 10 tests performed.

13. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Really not sure what you were quoting there Jason but since you were there too and know this I thank you for your service also :D
    Now this has really got OT as it started about Pitch, Roll and Yaw settings and really should have been posted in GD but why don't we just do as Jacob asked us ? ;)

Not saying you are not right....just saying

Attached Files:

14. Tallyrver

Just got back from Radio Shack with a few goodies... A toggle switch and some resistors .I'll report back soon. It's raining so no flying,just tinkering :mrgreen:

15. jason

If you care to read the declassified reports for the use of F4's in 9 missions to spray Agent Orange here's the link. To repeat my statement without quotes. He was correct in his statement that F 4's were used. Always pays to do some research on the subject K.M.H. :eek: :roll:
    http://c123kcancer.blogspot.com/2014/01/agent-orange-sprayed-by-usaf-f4s-during.html

And I served before Nam.

16. Tallyrver

Well,it was raining today..so I went to Radio Shack.
    I did the yaw switch mod with variable resistors ,that way you can adjust the speed if you like.
    Put it back together and put her up in the air. :mrgreen:
    Can't Waite to shoot some video

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jason

Yes but you have to open up the RC if you want to make adjustments in speed. With the other setup there no adjustments other then how much yaw you give it. Either way you did a nice job.

18. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

And I stand corrected ;)
    And I thank you too sir for your service !

19. Tallyrver

I believe it's the same mod,just updated . There's a new link in the YouTube video showing how to use the adjustable resistors ,I went into the Naza assistant and adjusted the settings so when I flipped the switch,full yaw left or right only went to about 30 % . With the fixed resistor you cannot do that unless you change resistors.

20. jason

I believe it's the same mod,just updated . There's a new link in the YouTube video showing how to use the adjustable resistors ,I went into the Naza assistant and adjusted the settings so when I flipped the switch,full yaw left or right only went to about 30 % . With the fixed resistor you cannot do that unless you change resistors.[/quote]

With the fixed resistors it depends in how much control you give it.