Pissed Off DJI Dealers Over P4

The last place I do business with is Apple. They have a culture of arrogance that goes back to S Jobs. They do so much business with their phones and tablets not just because they work, but they are designed for a well trained bear to use. I will always pay a few bucks more to do business with a local vender if they can provide good service. Keeps the bucks at home, somwhat...
I also use an iPad Air 2 128gb. Just wish I had purchased the cellular model. Really a shame the GPS functionality is only included in the cellular version. I am using a Garmin external GPS unit to provide this service.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ohhh... Wait, what?
giphy.gif

I was curious so I jumped on the Apple Store app. You can preorder the P4 on there and if you choose expedited shipping it says you will receive it in 1-2 weeks. That's before the 15th. DJI says they start shipping on the 15th in payment sequence right? I know Apple gets priority over other dealers. But are they getting priority over DJI as well?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Depending how you look at it, it's a win win for both Apple and DJI. You come into the store and you want to buy a phone or iPad. The sales person says hey, did you give it any thought about taking selfes from the air. We've got just the right thing right here. A Phantom 4. And look it's white and matches with your phone!

It is a little creepy how much the P4 looks like a bloated iPhone with 4 props :eek:

Apple has gone from pockets to hands and is trying to capture roads followed by air :)

Not sure how Amazon handles returning drones but I recently received and installed a defective power steering unit for a classic car ($350). Got on line, noted the defect and printed out a return label. Two days later a new pump arrived. Two weeks later I removed the defective pump, put in the box and mailed it back. My point is they replaced it before they even had the bad one. I was impressed.

I am not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE about this, but everyone I have dealt with online, such as Amazon Exedra, Has taken me for my Word, because I have Maintained a FLAWLESS REPUTATION with them. I would HOPE that They use Common Sense, and only Trust People that Have Proven themselves to be Honest, Or atleast Have a NEW relationship with online Dealings in General. Computerized personal tracking isn't perfect, but it's definitely a start. Honestly I don't know how places like that can afford to sell something so expensive without any knowledge of how it works, and how to identify signs of pilot error?? You MUST dig into the flight data inorder to find out what really happened in the event of a crash, malfunction Exedra. It makes you wonder if people Deliberately purchase these from uneducated dealers for unethical reasons. I miss having a person to person connection with the Hobbie Shop like the old Days!! These things are not like a TV, or PlayStation. An internally damage unit could Really be dangerous. We could probably buy everything for atleast 25% less if there wasn't so many improper refunds issued. It's probably been factored into the price, or WILL BE when the Phantom 4 Hits all of the uneducated Dealers. If these things sell like they think the price Will Go UP. Just wanted to put My 2-1/2 cents out there. Good luck Fellas, and HAPPY FLYING!!!

Reactions: Richard Walker
The independent UAV dealer is still the best option for those intending on professional use, at least until/unless FAA "N" registration (8050) does not require the notarized sales receipt with the serial number. There is still added value with the personal relationship that is not possible with Amazon, Best Buy or Apple, that is often worth every cent of the very minor added cost. Personally, I would also not buy from a dealer that is not authorized to do repairs, just on general principles.

Reactions: Jack1926
My dealer will have the 4 on April 1st. I'm waiting to order from him.... Like others have said, I prefer a relationship with a person I can call and speak with... And who will call me back if I leave a message.

GREAT change.

Maybe the rinky dinky dealers are not happy, but this is great for customers. We actually get a great dealer with amazing service - Apple - instead of fly by night shops who put up some Youtube videos and pretend to be big.

Also, keep in mind DJI history. DJI China and DJI USA had legal problems and at one point, there was a chance that DJI sales would have to be suspended in the USA because of lawsuits. (And the whole Colin Quinn fiasco) In anticipation of that, DJI wanted to have their own sales channel, straight from abroad, instead of relying on DJI USA.

Apple isn't doing repair. Apple is sending units back to DJI to get fixed or contracting with a third party. Even B&H isn't fixing Phantoms internally - they're using a third party. Which can be good or bad.

If you are in the SE of the UK . Go to the Geeks of Crawley the after sales is excellent.IMO

Yeah, kills dealers. Drones Plus in Orange County California already went out of business after 6 months. Owner said DJI was going to squash the independents out of the loop. I think with the marriage with Apple, he may be right. As easy as these are to set up and fly, it doesn't take an RC genius anymore.

It's sorta like the push toward self-driving cars. Drones in the classic sense of honeybees are the otherwise useless bees whose only purpose is to mate with the queen. Likewise, drone cars' only purpose is to get you from Point A to Point B. No fun involved.

Good for the sheeple who just want get to work. Not so good for anyone with a brain in use.

I prefer this, from 2013:
Full-screen with headphones best.

Amazing day with NISMO Peformance Academy. Of course, I was only 72 at the time.

The last place I do business with is Apple. They have a culture of arrogance that goes back to S Jobs. They do so much business with their phones and tablets not just because they work, but they are designed for a well trained bear to use. I will always pay a few bucks more to do business with a local vender if they can provide good service. Keeps the bucks at home, somwhat...

You should really try doing business with Apple. Their customer service is worlds better than any other company out there. I've already chatted with them about p4 order volume and shipping expectations and I'm set to receive mine anywhere from the 10th to the 15th. And they confirmed that it is likely I get it before the 15th. Good luck getting anything out of dji. They are generous with returns and always help the customer when they can. I have many instances of their customer service saving me and helping me out when I need it. Mom and pop shops should always be supported before corporations but don't avoid Apple because of preconceived notions.

GREAT change.

Maybe the rinky dinky dealers are not happy, but this is great for customers. We actually get a great dealer with amazing service - Apple - instead of fly by night shops who put up some Youtube videos and pretend to be big.

Also, keep in mind DJI history. DJI China and DJI USA had legal problems and at one point, there was a chance that DJI sales would have to be suspended in the USA because of lawsuits. (And the whole Colin Quinn fiasco) In anticipation of that, DJI wanted to have their own sales channel, straight from abroad, instead of relying on DJI USA.

I would class as a rinky dinky dealer. Have you ever tried to ask an Apple genius about anything? their answer to everything is format and update. (reset and restore) You will end up back on the forum getting advice from users and dealer like me who actually know this product. We will know the answers to: how many drop pins come installed, why wont my apple device connect to the controller, how do i calibrate, when should i calibrate, and the list goes on. Apple genius' are not going to know any of this. And DJI isnt Apple, they are trying to copy it, poorly, with a product that doesnt create as much demand or hype as an apple product.

Do you think apple would launch their phone saying it will do x y z, and then take an additional 6 months, to implement certain features promised at launch, have countless failures and malfunctions because of firmware glitches? They put out a good product thats why they can run the way they do.

Reactions: dirtdummy
You should really try doing business with Apple. Their customer service is worlds better than any other company out there. I've already chatted with them about p4 order volume and shipping expectations and I'm set to receive mine anywhere from the 10th to the 15th. And they confirmed that it is likely I get it before the 15th. Good luck getting anything out of dji. They are generous with returns and always help the customer when they can. I have many instances of their customer service saving me and helping me out when I need it. Mom and pop shops should always be supported before corporations but don't avoid Apple because of preconceived notions.
I do use their products but only if there is not a comperable product. The reason for my negative viewpoint is that I made my living as a programmer and IOS for small devices is missing so many features to make usability more rich. Also... Examples related to iPad; no USB, no memory slots, no battery access, no pointing device support (mouse up, mouse down, etc). Devices supporting Windows and Android operating systems support most of these features. I use the Autopilot app for DJI and they currently only run on IOS devices. I like Litchi app also but the features on IOS devices are not mature yet. I like my iPad Air 2 128gb but is over priced considering lack of features. I use a Samsung Note 4 for a phone on which I can add memory, change the battery and it has a USB port.

Reactions: dirtdummy
I do use their products but only if there is not a comperable product. The reason for my negative viewpoint is that I made my living as a programmer and IOS for small devices is missing so many features to make usability more rich. Also... Examples related to iPad; no USB, no memory slots, no battery access, no pointing device support (mouse up, mouse down, etc). Devices supporting Windows and Android operating systems support most of these features. I use the Autopilot app for DJI and they currently only run on IOS devices. I like Litchi app also but the features on IOS devices are not mature yet. I like my iPad Air 2 128gb but is over priced considering lack of features. I use a Samsung Note 4 for a phone on which I can add memory, change the battery and it has a USB port.

If you are a programmer than you should understand the inherent benefits of the ios ecosystem. Ever tried to create an android app that runs smoothly on all devices? It's a nightmare. That's why the best apps exist on iOS. It's not just larger, more primed-to-spend user base. It's because it's easier. To each their own of course, but there is a reason Apple devices are industry standards across many fields, including this one.

If you are a programmer than you should understand the inherent benefits of the ios ecosystem. Ever tried to create an android app that runs smoothly on all devices? It's a nightmare. That's why the best apps exist on iOS. It's not just larger, more primed-to-spend user base. It's because it's easier. To each their own of course, but there is a reason Apple devices are industry standards across many fields, including this one.
Points to ponder... If Microsoft would not allow Windows to be licensed on hardware other than that built by Microsoft, what do you think would happen to them? Just think of the market share Apple would gain if they allowed other hardware manufactures to run their operating systems. Would that drive down the price of IOS hardware? Not a mystery why Apple does not license their OS for other hardware manufactures.

Points to ponder... If Microsoft would not allow Windows to be licensed on hardware other than that built by Microsoft, what do you think would happen to them? Just think of the market share Apple would gain if they allowed other hardware manufactures to run their operating systems. Would that drive down the price of IOS hardware? Not a mystery why Apple does not license their OS for other hardware manufactures.
I have been a virus free Apple user since 1982 thank you. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it in a spectacular way. They also have more integrity that Microsoft or it's founder. Keep up the great work Apple!

Do you think apple would launch their phone saying it will do x y z, and then take an additional 6 months, to implement certain features promised at launch, have countless failures and malfunctions because of firmware glitches? They put out a good product thats why they can run the way they do.
You sir must not have owned the original iPhone. We didn't get MMS texting or stereo bluetooth for the longest time when others had it for months. :D

Yes, but most dealers don't sell that many and it only takes a few immoral Amazon.com deals to wipe out profits.

For example, in 1 Amazon return there was no drone, just a note about how the drone flew away.

In another example, just after the release of the P3 this company received dozens of P3 returns, only problem, the boxes where returned with P2 Visions.

DJI, certainly is making money, no question there but dealers, especially the smaller ones, not so much.
Lol man that's rough.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj