Pimp My FC40....help with upgrades

battman2036 said:
[

Can you explain a bit more on this? I'm getting ready to buy the FPV components and want to make sure I order the right parts.

The transmitters come in different power ratings. Mine is a half watt output, but others are as much as 1 watt output. The stronger the signal is, the further it reaches. I couldn't pass up a transmitter and receiver for less than 60 bucks.

dtviewer said:
Hmmmm...I'm a little disappointed to see you 'only' got about 150 meters with the FPV set up.

Tonight, I set my limit to 300 yards. I also moved the transmitter so that the antenna runs down the rear leg. I took a better antenna off of an old wireless router and put it on my receiver, too. I expect better results tomorrow.

The transmitter package claims 4,000 meters in open space. I think they may be off a little bit!

Who knows, though. It may be something I did wrong installing things.

wattage said:
Try the TP-Link 8dB 2.4GHz antennae on your receiver (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2408CL). Honestly that thing is wicked and should get you out to about a mile easily with a 500MW TX. It's also filth cheap.

Thanks, I just ordered one!

I'll never fly it over 500 yards away. I worry when it gets out of sight! :) I may be more comfortable with a working FPV, though.

500 yards would be more than enough for me as far as the FPV.
But your post said 510 'feet'...I get more than that with the stock fc40 set-up.
Hopefully your next tests will improve on that.

darwin-t said:
battman2036 said:
[

Can you explain a bit more on this? I'm getting ready to buy the FPV components and want to make sure I order the right parts.

The transmitters come in different power ratings. Mine is a half watt output, but others are as much as 1 watt output. The stronger the signal is, the further it reaches. I couldn't pass up a transmitter and receiver for less than 60 bucks.

I was referring to the cables, but that's good information to consider as well.

what are your thoughts on this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-1000mw...ultDomain_0&hash=item540c55d800#ht_695wt_868

I got out over 1000 feet today, just a little static here and there. I also got up to 650 feet, still no problem.

I'm going to test it on the ground, put the receiver and GoPro on the back window of my car and have my GF drive away until I lose the picture.

I repostitioned the transmitter so the antenna runs down the inner side of a rear leg. The one opposite the compass magnet.

Once you're done testing, would you mind giving some insight for connections and how you draw power? Pictures would help as well for some of us who are idiots. I DO appreciate the continual reports on the mods. You're solving the dilemma for a lot of folks.

battman2036 said:
Once you're done testing, would you mind giving some insight for connections and how you draw power? Pictures would help as well for some of us who are idiots. I DO appreciate the continual reports on the mods. You're solving the dilemma for a lot of folks.

Sure. For the transmitter, I used those little red connectors. I ran two sets of wires down from the main board. One for the gimbal, the other for the transmitter.

On the receiver end, I use a 12 volt battery people use to power portable DVD players. A lipo would also work, or any type of 12 volt battery. Just splice the power wires for the receiver into the wires for the monitor. I'll take and share photos of my setup ASAP.

As for antennas, I have heard cloverleaf are better than vertical antennas, but it seems to me that they would be directional, so I haven't gone that way yet. My present setup is more than enough for me.I get nervous when I can't see my quad, or at least know which way it is pointing. With this FPV setup, I can actually see what the camera sees even when I can't see the quad.

darwin-t said:
I got out over 1000 feet today, just a little static here and there. I also got up to 650 feet, still no problem.

I'm going to test it on the ground, put the receiver and GoPro on the back window of my car and have my GF drive away until I lose the picture.

I repostitioned the transmitter so the antenna runs down the inner side of a rear leg. The one opposite the compass magnet.

Much better!!!
Thanks for the update.

Sure. For the transmitter, I used those little red connectors. I ran two sets of wires down from the main board. One for the gimbal, the other for the transmitter.

On the receiver end, I use a 12 volt battery people use to power portable DVD players. A lipo would also work, or any type of 12 volt battery. Just splice the power wires for the receiver into the wires for the monitor. I'll take and share photos of my setup ASAP.

As for antennas, I have heard cloverleaf are better than vertical antennas, but it seems to me that they would be directional, so I haven't gone that way yet. My present setup is more than enough for me.I get nervous when I can't see my quad, or at least know which way it is pointing. With this FPV setup, I can actually see what the camera sees even when I can't see the quad.

Great! I'm interested to see what goes where on the transmitter etc. I'm a little gun shy on directions since I got my Tarot with very little instruction. This forum helped me set it up perfectly.

interested in seeing the connections and what your flight times are. With the standard battery and the tarot/gopro I got about 6 minutes. Not thrilled with that, but I added a lot of weight with those components. I'm going to attack this mod next.

I just upgraded my p1 to a p2 with zenmuse gimbal. I bought a FPV setup today with 1.5w transmitter, antennas, a 7" diversity receiver but want to utilize my sj4000. Any ideas how to get the video to transmit out? I'm thinking I might be able to splice a micro usb cable but not sure how. Any help appreciated.

Ohary said:
I just upgraded my p1 to a p2 with zenmuse gimbal. I bought a FPV setup today with 1.5w transmitter, antennas, a 7" diversity receiver but want to utilize my sj4000. Any ideas how to get the video to transmit out? I'm thinking I might be able to splice a micro usb cable but not sure how. Any help appreciated.

Instructions are here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2285

Here is how I did the wiring on my FPV

The Transmitter

The receiver.

I made the sun shield out of Kydex, along with the case for the transmitter.

The transmitter is held to the top of the extended landing gear with Velcro, the antenna is held to the leg with electricians tape.

I glued a piece of plywood into the monitor clip, then glued the base for the monitor to that. I use clear silicone sealer for glue. It holds really well and you can remove it by running a knife blade between the pieces.

Attachments

• Transmitter.JPG
    Transmitter.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Receiver.JPG
    Receiver.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 325
Great job Darwin!
How is the monitor out in the sun?
My phone is about worthless and is frustrating me more than anything else. Its useless to see what the FC40 cam sees.

dtviewer said:
Great job Darwin!
My phone is about worthless and is frustrating me more than anything else. Its useless to see what the FC40 cam sees.

It isn't bad. The screen is glare free and the shield really helps out. The screen brightness can't be turned up nearly as high as my Kindle Fire was, though.

You can buy glare free screen protectors for phones.

It is easy to make a shield. Get some cardboard, make two folds the width it needs to be. place the phone at the angle it needs to be. Make marks along the bottom of the phone. You'll want to make folds there, but you'll need to cut the extra cardboard away. Velcro or tape to hold it in place.

dtviewer said:
Ohary said:

Instructions are here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2285

Gave it a whirl, but apparently my sj4000 is the older model. Oh well, just ended up going with a GoPro white.

darwin-t said:
dtviewer said:
Great job Darwin!

It isn't bad. The screen is glare free and the shield really helps out. The screen brightness can't be turned up nearly as high as my Kindle Fire was, though.

You can buy glare free screen protectors for phones.

It is easy to make a shield. Get some cardboard, make two folds the width it needs to be. place the phone at the angle it needs to be. Make marks along the bottom of the phone. You'll want to make folds there, but you'll need to cut the extra cardboard away. Velcro or tape to hold it in place.

I tried making a shield for the phone out of black foam board and it really didn't help.
Im going to try my Toshiba tablet as soon as the mounting bracket arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues