Pimp My FC40....help with upgrades

Reaction score
After posting this in the 'regrets' thread, I have been doing some looking into what it would take to make the FC40 what I want or if I should upgrade to a P2+:
'I love the FC40, but....I am starting to regret a little bit not just getting the Plus from the beginning.
The biggest downsides to the 40, IMO, are the reduced range, the shorter flight times, and most of all, the lack of a gimbal and lack of any way to tilt the camera while flying.
Today I was out at the local waterfront park. As usual I was sending it out over the water and I was following some boats and jet skis. Not being able to control the camera angle really makes it hard to track an object.
I would also love the extended video range the more expensive phantom offers'

So...what do I need to achieve the above?
I will start with the easier ones.
4000mah battery for extending the flight times.
Walkera Gimbal. Leaning to the Walkera because it weighs 120grams, the lightest I have found.
SJ4000 camera. I own a GoPro 2, but am looking at an sj4000 camera for my Phantom instead of buying a 3+ Black.

That mostly leaves the video feed. I will be using my Galaxy s3 and or a kindle fire.
So what do I need to get long range video from the sj4000 to the kindle that will be mounted to my transmitter?

Any suggestions? Any changes that should be made to the above?

Darwin, that looks fantastic! I didn't know this could be done so reasonably.

If I follow your plan I am looking at:
$55 for the transmitter receiver combo you posted.
$3 for the cable.
$86 for a SJ4000.
$100 for a gimbal.
$7 for the tilt lever.
Then my choice of monitor and I'm into long range video feed for about $250-$275.
Not bad even taking into account the $500 for the FC40 purchase. Still less than a P2+ and I think I will be satisfied.

Quick question....how do you power the transmitter on the phantom?

This thread caught my attention. The parts listed are very reasonable, price wise.

I will be anxiously watching to see how you like it. I have all of the parts either in my cart or watch list.

Thanks for posting the links.

dtviewer said:
Darwin, that looks fantastic! I didn't know this could be done so reasonably.

If I follow your plan I am looking at:
$55 for the transmitter receiver combo you posted.
$3 for the cable.
$86 for a SJ4000.
$100 for a gimbal.
$7 for the tilt lever.
Then my choice of monitor and I'm into long range video feed for about $250-$275.
Not bad even taking into account the $500 for the FC40 purchase. Still less than a P2+ and I think I will be satisfied.

Quick question....how do you power the transmitter on the phantom?

My FC40 isn't here yet, but I will be following this thread. Please update if you go this route and let us know how it works out.

Which gimbal are you looking at for the $100? I just picked up a Tarot 2d ($100) for use with my Gopro 3 white (came with FC40 in place of original camera) and am now looking for the FPV components. I have the landing gear extensions and the tilt lever ($15). My concern is flight time. I talked with an ebay seller today (in person oddly enough "uctopfpv") who told me I'll be down to about 5 minutes flight time. He's pricing the 2.4 combo for me, and seeing the monitors on amazon, I'm thinking I can have this thing complete by next week. Which is awesome.

Tarot: 200g
Gopro Hero 3 white: 74g
the combo: 130g

Check the SJ4000 outputs video to a transmitter while recording. I don't think it does. Möbius action can does but that doesn't fit in the Walkera G-2D.

I power my 2.4GHz video transmitter from one of the cells of my flight battery using a modified balance lead as 2.4gHz TXs usually handle between 3.3/5v - works no problem at all as it's only drawing a tiny amount.

With the G-2D and video TX both running off the main battery I get a consistent 9 minutes from the stock battery.

I have all of my FPV stuff except the cable for the GoPro. With my 2700 Mah battery, the weight is up to 1400 grams, though.

I have 9" props.

I'll post here with my results as soon as I get to test it out.

wattage said:
Check the SJ4000 outputs video to a transmitter while recording. I don't think it does. Möbius action can does but that doesn't fit in the Walkera G-2D.

I power my 2.4GHz video transmitter from one of the cells of my flight battery using a modified balance lead as 2.4gHz TXs usually handle between 3.3/5v - works no problem at all as it's only drawing a tiny amount.

With the G-2D and video TX both running off the main battery I get a consistent 9 minutes from the stock battery.

Already checked.
Theres a thread over at rcgroups showing how to wire the output cable from the sj4000 so it outputs video while recording.
Very easy.

dtviewer said:
wattage said:

Already checked.
Theres a thread over at rcgroups showing how to wire the output cable from the sj4000 so it outputs video while recording.
Very easy.

Definitely while recording and not just idle?

wattage said:
dtviewer said:
wattage said:

Already checked.
Very easy.

Definitely while recording and not just idle?

Yep!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2285

I tested my FPV setup today.

I have a 500 mW Boscam transmitter and matching receiver. Stock antennas.

The cable I posted a link for did NOT fit. It had only 2 connectors, the transmitter has 4. I just removed the pins from both connectors and switched them.

I have my maximum range set pretty low, forgot to reset it.

Flytrex says the maximum distance was 510 feet. The picture started to get static and break up at that distance. It reconnected automatically when it got closer.

When I got home, I moved my transmitter to run the antenna down the rear leg - opposite the compass magnet.The camera and gimbal blocked it when the FC40 was facing me.

I may also move my receiver. It is attached to the bottom of my transmitter. It's antenna is about 3 inches from my transmitter's antenna and is under my monitor.

I'm also going to look for a directional antenna for the receiver.

It is NICE being able to see exactly what my GoPro sees, including when I tilt the camera.

Hmmmm...I'm a little disappointed to see you 'only' got about 150 meters with the FPV set up.

darwin-t said:
Flytrex says the maximum distance was 510 feet. The picture started to get static and break up at that distance. It reconnected automatically when it got closer.

When I got home, I moved my transmitter to run the antenna down the rear leg - opposite the compass magnet.The camera and gimbal blocked it when the FC40 was facing me.

I may also move my receiver. It is attached to the bottom of my transmitter. It's antenna is about 3 inches from my transmitter's antenna and is under my monitor.

I'm also going to look for a directional antenna for the receiver.

Try the TP-Link 8dB 2.4GHz antennae on your receiver (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2408CL). Honestly that thing is wicked and should get you out to about a mile easily with a 500MW TX. It's also filth cheap.

darwin-t said:
I tested my FPV setup today.

I have a 500 mW Boscam transmitter and matching receiver. Stock antennas. The cable I posted a link for did NOT fit. It had only 2 connectors, the transmitter has 4. I just removed the pins from both connectors and switched them.

Can you explain a bit more on this? I'm getting ready to buy the FPV components and want to make sure I order the right parts.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20