Pilots or Flyers?!

Pilots or Flyers?!

• Pilots

• Flyers

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would eat the moon if it were made of ribs.
blank stare.png
OK

I always think of pilots as calm, cool and collected so that's out. I chose flyer.

Knucklehead is probably more appropriate but Mr. Snerd won't let me. :D

I always think of pilots as calm, cool and collected so that's out. I chose flyer.

Knucklehead is probably more appropriate but Mr. Snerd won't let me. :D
Ahaaaa..That's Mr Mortimer Snerd !

Operator, no where near qualified to be a pilot.

Which do you prefer to be called? It seems that "pilots" infers a whole lot more onto the drone's owner. I see mainly flyers here, with a scattering of pilots. Overall, which description do YOU prefer?!

Having never went to flight school and actually flown a real aircraft I'm not really interested in having the title "pilot". I sure do love flight sim games but I'm far from a "pilot" and flying a really expensive toy with a camera attached to it doesn't get me any closer to that title. Just my opinion.

A lot of people I served with in the military had talked about the "pilot" and "flight status" debate quite often. In the Marines we were often around LCAC hover crafts and most never realized that the Navy crew operating those things were classified as being in flight status and frequently considered themselves as pilots. The same debate came up when there was a push to have drone operators overseas rate combat status and flight status while operating drones such as the predator, even though they were far from the actual combat and personally were not in danger. I believe they even pushed to have drone operators receive a special ribbon or medal for being a drone operator overseas. It's been awhile so I stopped keeping up with that stuff :)

The FAA calls us "Operators".

Reactions: snerd
I like to use "operator."

Which do you prefer to be called? It seems that "pilots" infers a whole lot more onto the drone's owner. I see mainly flyers here, with a scattering of pilots. Overall, which description do YOU prefer?!
UAViator?

Curator. That is what I'm gonna call myself now. A Drone Curator. And when I'm flying I'm curating my drone! It fits the definition. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Sitting on your butt in some field and twiddling two sticks is about as much of a "pilot" experience as RC cars being "driving." :p

Every time I think about this issue it reminds me how much money I'm wasting on quads when I could actually be in the air flying my paramotor or paraglider. Actually soaring through the sky with wind blowing through my hair.

And it basically cost less to actually fly since the technology doesn't change twice per year with new stuff coming out. For the cost of Inspire and a few batteries and accessories, you can be paragliding. For a little more, paramotoring. (or an ultralight.)

MadMitch will chime in soon and dispute us being pilots. Ha-ha, that thread got some panties in a wad.

as a real plane pilot, I prefer be called pilot. More professional term.
From looking at the poll #'s looks like 76% that voted agree with ya ! ;)
So far anyway .

MadMitch will chime in soon and dispute us being pilots. Ha-ha, that thread got some panties in a wad.
Naaaa bro ..He be gone :D

Reactions: Fplvert
That funny bro as we posted at the same time an ya beat me now I look like MadDirkclod :eek:
That was a funny thread ..sorta ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl