Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Pilot OCD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leglessmatt, May 6, 2015.

1. leglessmatt

So, I (used to be, kind of still am) a diver and have this almost OCD thing where I continually check the pressure in my ears - doing the thing where you hold your nose and equalise the inner ear space...

...just wondered if phantom pilots have a similar thing where they are continally checking the wind speed/direction etc. even when not flying or whether Im just going mad.

cheers,
    M

2. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Haha its OCD ;)

leglessmatt and dirkclod like this.
  3. gingerbloke

I have CDO, which is a more severe form of OCD - where the letters are in the correct alphabetical order AS THEY ARE MEANT TO BE.

Mal_PV2_Ireland likes this.
  4. Hughie

Yes they must be in alphabetical order, and they should have their own full stops too.
    C.D.O.
    The full stops increase in size very gradually as well, and that is very, very important. That way you can be sure they are ordered too.
    (Dont look to closely, you wont be able to tell the difference in the sizes on your monitor, but trust me, they are different) ;)

#4 Hughie, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    AmosMoses and IflyinWY like this.
  5. Clipper707

Yeah. I used to be a scout sniper when I was in the Marine Corps. I've been checking wind for years, but it has gotten to the OCD stage with my Phantoms.

Wind is the bane of my existence.

leglessmatt and IflyinWY like this.
  6. kirk2579

I never ever looked at or thought of wind until Jan when I got my first Phantom. And wouldn't you know it , it was a windy long winter....

I found Yahoo weather app and it has a nice complete weather with wind info and hr. by hr. that has shown very accurate here.

I also found myself noticing flags and watching them as I drive..

leglessmatt likes this.
  7. Scampaboy

I'm always looking for cables and objects to film non stop, and yes wind is something i think about all the time.

leglessmatt likes this.
  8. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Don't know if you have come across this website before but it has all the details you need for uav flying in your area. It's pretty reliable
    http://www.uavforecast.com/

leglessmatt likes this.
  9. thestone11

How OCD am I if I tell you I bought a wind meter just for that!

leglessmatt likes this.
  10. IflyinWY

OMG, this is cracking me up. The Phantom doesn't care which direction the wind is coming from. If it's 20 mph, sorry UK folks, or less, it just doesn't care. LOL

I have CRS, can I join the club? :confused:

EDIT:

****, I LOVE THIS SHOW

AmosMoses, leglessmatt and 750r like this.
  11. Ezookiel

Not only do I watch the wind quite obsessively, I now see EVERYTHING in my mind, with a view as to what it might look like filmed from the quad, and where I'd position the quad for best angles and views etc. You never quite view the world the same way again once you get into photography, everything is viewed with what the best light, time of day, and angles would be for it. Start doing AERIAL photography and that just multiplies the number of possible angles by about 360x360

Ti22, leglessmatt and IflyinWY like this.
  12. IflyinWY

Yep, that's very true; and although I may have sounded like I was not considering what Ezookiel said, I have been carrying a camera around for decades, capturing awesome (to me) memories. Life is a journey to be captured in your mind, and now from your Phantom. ;)

13. PishPosh

Riding motorcycles has gotten me constantly checking weather, even when I don't plan to ride.

Ti22 and leglessmatt like this.
  14. RedHotPoker

Motorbikes, Weather? Hahaha, just do what I have done.
    Buy a Can Am SpYder RS-S, and let those clouds try and catch up to you... ;-)

RedHotPoker

15. leglessmatt

i cant stand it when my car stereo is on an odd number...11 and 19 are the worst, 15 is ok as its half way between 10 and 20...may go and see a doc.

terrylowe likes this.
  16. fastsmiles

Can Am, those are the guys that make the motorcycle with the training wheels, right? :)

AmosMoses and dirkclod like this.
  17. RedHotPoker

No, Can Am does not build motorcycles. These are three wheeled roadsters, with seven awesome automotive technologies of features built in...
    Stability Control
    Traction Control
    Anti-Lock Braking (ABS)
    Semi-Automatic Transmission
    Reverse
    Dynamic Power Steering
    Cruise Control
    Yeah, and with the proven Rotax 998cc engines running so smooth and clean. I get over 300km to a full fuel fill. What more do I need?

We look a lot like you regular bikers with the crash helmets, but we are not... Hahaha
    Yeah training wheels. Hey I'll tell you what, if you can keep up to me for one mile, you can have my pink slip, ok... Hahaha, or I get yours, deal?

Another Smart donkey-mule, with no "ballistics". Give me your keys too thanks. J/K Hehehe

RedHotPoker

18. Glassman

Back in my sailing days I would check the wind/weather before my morning coffee and then again almost every hour....I was also into cycling back then, so knowing the weather was a benefit.

Nowadays just about everything is motorized - I went from sailboats to power boats and bicycles to dirt bikes and off-road cars. One thing about the weather in the high desert, if you don't like it, wait a couple of hours...it'll change.

19. Glassman

Well, it all depends on where you live as to whether it's considered a motorcycle or not. The new 3 wheeler from Polaris is testing those waters right now in Texas. I test drove one and it's a blast!
    The newer Spyders have more power, but are closer to being a motorcycle than others due to the way you sit and that you wear a helmet.

Here's more info:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/polaris-slingshot-can-am-spyder-f3-morgan-3-wheeler

Ti22 likes this.
  20. PishPosh

Sounds awesome, I see Can Am once in a while here and it looks fun. I'd definitely like to take one for a spin one day. Here in LA, lane splitting is kind of a necessary maneuver for commuting on a bike (and one of the major perks of doing so) and Can Ams would be a little too wide for that.

Ti22 likes this.