Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Pilot from North Carolina

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Archerm, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Archerm

Hey everyone Just want to say hello from central NC. I have transitioned from flying RC planes to Quads. I really enjoy flying the Quads vs flying planes. I flew a friends and I was hooked. I have read a lot of great information here on this website though I was not registered. Hopefully I will be able to contribute a little to this forum. Mark

2. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome Mark. Multirotors are a blast to fly but I'm weird in that I enjoy my planes much more LOL!

3. ryantrax

Welcome to the Phantom Pilots Family Mark! I also got my start flying RC Planes, then went to Helicopters now quads / hex. My planes and helis haven't gotten much use since starting with multirotors about 3 years ago.

4. Archerm

Thanks for the welcome guys. Working on getting a phone number to notify a heliport at a hospital down the road so I can fly on some acreage behind the house. No one has a clue as to who to notify!

5. ryantrax

I've had to notify some hospitals doing some filming jobs. Just call the main number and ask for Care Flight (that's what it's called here anyway). Let them know exactly where you will be flying and what times.

6. Archerm

Yes I finally got a phone number today. It is not a manned helipad but found out who is in charge of the flights in and out of the hospital. It just opened last year. At first they said I could not fly in the 5 mile radius but I was very nice and I quoted the FAA law and they were good with that.They gave me a number to notify them when I fly. They are based in Raleigh 2 hours away. They told me that the NC law was no flying quads within the five mile radius according to NCDOT?? They pointed me to this site. NCDOT: Recreational Operators

off NCDOT site for rec fliers.
    • Always fly below an altitude of 400 feet, and fly within your direct line of sight.
    • Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport, near stadiums or other public events. (The notification of flight for airports etc part is left out)
    • Do not fly for compensation.
    • Do not fly at night.
    • Do not fly a UAS/drone that weighs more than 55 pounds.

BigAl07 likes this.