Pilot-End Mod Complete

itchybeard said:
saao said:
Hey bro saw ur kit lools extreme. I was wondering has any one soldered the rpsma bulkhead connector to the rc 5.8bghz wire. Like cut the dipole and just solder no removing glue or no splicing

Yes, Saao, that is the way that Horizon FPV recommends. The soldering mod for the RC controller is explained in their video. It starts at about 12:50 - see here ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2aZB1bakU

However. I really don't think it is a very good way to do the mod. It's a bodge job and will probably introduce a resistance point into the cable, which would throw out the calculation for wavelength. It could also take the resistance at the RP-SMA connector to more than the required 50 ohms.

Also, I don't think the "soldered splice method" is any easier than the "glue removal method". The coax cable is incredibly thin and stripping it to reveal the centre cable and the shielding and then soldering the delicate wires together would be very difficult even if you had all the right equipment.

Both methods are quite risky and require a delicate touch, but the glue removal method gives you a better connection; a cleaner finish and also allows you to upgrade the cable whenever you want.

The choice is yours. Good luck.
No bro I am talking about this new rpsma bulkhead connector they have on the website he has sent me one so once u cut the dipole antenna instead of splice u just solder the rpsma connector on to the wire and maintain the 50ohms

saao said:
No bro I am talking about this new rpsma bulkhead connector they have on the website he has sent me one so once u cut the dipole antenna instead of splice u just solder the rpsma connector on to the wire and maintain the 50ohms

Yeah, I hear you, Saao.

Oddly enough, I have been having an email conversation with Will at Horizon FPV this evening, and he told me about those connectors, but he didn't send me one with my kit. So I went for the glue removal method instead. Will says that I'm brave to do it that way, but I'm pleased I did, because I can now replace the cable if I want to. The one I'm using at the moment isn't perfect, but it's better than the DJI one. LOL.

There is a company near me that makes military quality RF cable assemblies, so I'm going to get them to make a top quality cable for me that is 'tuned' to my RC controller.

If you feel more comfortable sticking with the glued-on DJI cable and soldering on one of Will's RP-SMA bulkheads then go for it, boss. One of the things I like about customised Phantoms is that they are all different, and every Phantom owner has their own ideas about how mods should be done.

itchybeard said:
saao said:

Yeah, I hear you, Saao.

Oddly enough, I have been having an email conversation with Will at Horizon FPV this evening, and he told me about those connectors, but he didn't send me one with my kit. So I went for the glue removal method instead. Will says that I'm brave to do it that way, but I'm pleased I did, because I can now replace the cable if I want to. The one I'm using at the moment isn't perfect, but it's better than the DJI one. LOL.

There is a company near me that makes military quality RF cable assemblies, so I'm going to get them to make a top quality cable for me that is 'tuned' to my RC controller.

If you feel more comfortable sticking with the glued-on DJI cable and soldering on one of Will's RP-SMA bulkheads then go for it, boss. One of the things I like about customised Phantoms is that they are all different, and every Phantom owner has their own ideas about how mods should be done.

hey thanks bro actually i have asked will as well to upload a mini video on how to solder and connect that bulkhead to the 5.8 rc wire lets c he says its very easy and very effective as well actually he replied on one of the threads to yesterday i guess we both discussed with him so he replied.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9092&start=410

chazz said:
Can I ask where you got the 180mm pigtail? I would like to get one. Thanks

Hi, Chazz

I got mine from Amazon UK ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

Don't expect it to be exactly 180mm though, I have bought 4 of these now and they seem to vary in length a little bit. Not a bad match for 5.8Ghz though; the one in my transmitter gets me out quite a long way.

Hi Itchybeard, like your handle...I have a question, I have a phantom 2 vision plus and I installed the compact extreme on the rc unit and I'm not getting much farther distances from the fpv or controller signal. 1300ft maybe. I was getting 1100 stock. The area I fly has a lot of trees. To get the distances some are getting does it need to be a totally clear line of sight? I thought I may have messed up soldering the two part connector to the RC but connecting the cable to the wifi repeater was pretty much fool prof and I'm not getting much better distance with that either. Will changing the UAV antennas and adding a rf amp help with this issue and get me to 4000ft? or do i just have to get away from the trees? Thank You

chazz said:
Hi Itchybeard, like your handle...I have a question, I have a phantom 2 vision plus and I installed the compact extreme on the rc unit and I'm not getting much farther distances from the fpv or controller signal. 1300ft maybe. I was getting 1100 stock. The area I fly has a lot of trees. To get the distances some are getting does it need to be a totally clear line of sight? I thought I may have messed up soldering the two part connector to the RC but connecting the cable to the wifi repeater was pretty much fool prof and I'm not getting much better distance with that either. Will changing the UAV antennas and adding a rf amp help with this issue and get me to 4000ft? or do i just have to get away from the trees? Thank You

Hi, Chazz

Changing the cable in the RC controller might help (if your soldering job is a bit dodgy), but it means you'll have to take the risk of scraping away the silicone that glues the DJI pigtail to the board. Yes, I did do this myself, but I would not advise anyone else to try it. It requires a lot of patience and a very delicate touch.

If you do decide to try it then the 180mm cable is a better match than most off-the-shelf cables on the market at the moment.

Are you using an Android display device? If you are then use a booster app to increase FPV range.

My display device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and on the test flight where I got out to 4230 feet (yes, it was line-of-sight). I was using PVFlyer's "FPV Booster" app. These days I use Taco RC's "Vision+ Utility Pro" because it allows me to boost the power of the range extender as well as the power of the wi-fi module in the bird.

If you do use Taco Rc's app, don't go mental and crank it all up to 11. Run about 17dBm boost on the range extender and 12bdBm boost on the camera in the bird.

Also, if you are running an Android display device then get a copy of the "WiFi Prioritizer" app, and then put your Phantom's wifi at the top of the list. This will help to stop your device trying to connect to networks with a stronger signal than your Phantom.

You must keep the antennas pointed at the bird as accurately as possible. The radar display can help you do this, but you should calibrate the compass in your display device before every flight so that the app gives you a true heading.

Get a bit of altitude. 400 feet will get you out further than hugging the ground at 150 - 200 feet.

Get away from the trees! Trees soak up an RF signal like a sponge. Also stay away from sources of interference like power lines, cell towers and residential areas. Some people have amplified their wi-fi systems and this can knock out your FPV signal.

I hope this helps

Itchy

thanks for all the info. I have an iphone. I took it out today to an open field, farther away from trees and i got 3600 ft. Seems the trees was the problem. I like your idea of using the radar display to aim the RC. I have the uav antennas and a RF amp for the fpv coming. I also bought the 180mm cable. Ill see how much distance that gives me.

Thanks again

itchybeard said:
chazz said:

Hi, Chazz

Changing the cable in the RC controller might help (if your soldering job is a bit dodgy), but it means you'll have to take the risk of scraping away the silicone that glues the DJI pigtail to the board. Yes, I did do this myself, but I would not advise anyone else to try it. It requires a lot of patience and a very delicate touch.

If you do decide to try it then the 180mm cable is a better match than most off-the-shelf cables on the market at the moment.

Are you using an Android display device? If you are then use a booster app to increase FPV range.

My display device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and on the test flight where I got out to 4230 feet (yes, it was line-of-sight). I was using PVFlyer's "FPV Booster" app. These days I use Taco RC's "Vision+ Utility Pro" because it allows me to boost the power of the range extender as well as the power of the wi-fi module in the bird.

If you do use Taco Rc's app, don't go mental and crank it all up to 11. Run about 17dBm boost on the range extender and 12bdBm boost on the camera in the bird.

Also, if you are running an Android display device then get a copy of the "WiFi Prioritizer" app, and then put your Phantom's wifi at the top of the list. This will help to stop your device trying to connect to networks with a stronger signal than your Phantom.

You must keep the antennas pointed at the bird as accurately as possible. The radar display can help you do this, but you should calibrate the compass in your display device before every flight so that the app gives you a true heading.

Get a bit of altitude. 400 feet will get you out further than hugging the ground at 150 - 200 feet.

Get away from the trees! Trees soak up an RF signal like a sponge. Also stay away from sources of interference like power lines, cell towers and residential areas. Some people have amplified their wi-fi systems and this can knock out your FPV signal.

I hope this helps

Itchy

Hey Itchy I bought a galaxy tab 4 7" and am using the Taco Rc's app and the WiFi Prioritizer. Is there much of a difference between Taco rc vision + utility free and pro version? I didn't have time to test it yet but thanks for all this info.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie