Pilot app for android is a brutal nightmare on Galaxy Tab S

Nope. The Tab S is one of the most powerful tablets on the market. The problem is with the software. DJI should be able to fix it ... sooner than later, I hope.

-- Roger

The problem is the bloat ware that samsung put on their devices and the lack of upgradeability, I gave up waiting for samsung to update the OS to new versions months after the release.

I have been through all this with a 8.4 Tab S. Framerate could be measured in seconds at times. I was on a rooted Lollipop version.

I put it back to stock to find out that Samsung has released Lollipop for the small Tab s now.

So I am running official version now. Only thing that fixes the issue is rolling back the Play Services for me.

Nope. The Tab S is one of the most powerful tablets on the market. The problem is with the software. DJI should be able to fix it ... sooner than later, I hope.

-- Roger
Cannot compare it with a nvidia shield tablet, the gpu beats any Samsung from far... That's the most important part to dji pilot app the gpu and cpu power and the nvidia shield tablet is very powerful.

My iPad Mini 2 worked OK up to about 90º then lagged so bad it was dangerous to fly close to anything, plus the back got real hot. Now I have an Air 2 and it is near perfect, doesn't heat up, even when running Shou along with the pilot app. And the 9.7" screen is HUGE, but not heavy, and fits with my shade (very close). So far I love it, only missing hdmi out, and that is coming soon. On a side note the Shou screen recorder works fine for recording both live feed and Flight recordings.

Cannot compare it with a nvidia shield tablet, the gpu beats any Samsung from far... That's the most important part to dji pilot app the gpu and cpu power and the nvidia shield tablet is very powerful.
Maybe so, but once you rollback play services it works fine with minimal lag and normal framerate....the Tab S screen is without a doubt the brightest screen available for fpv. Bloat can be disabled/deleted....I'm running a debloated custom rom and my Tab S 8.4 and it runs great.

Maybe so, but once you rollback play services it works fine with minimal lag and normal framerate....the Tab S screen is without a doubt the brightest screen available for fpv. Bloat can be disabled/deleted....I'm running a debloated custom rom and my Tab S 8.4 and it runs great.
Mate, which custom rom are you running and can you point me in the right direction for install instructions? Bit over the Samsung bloat and their slow to market updates...

I went to a Galaxy Tab S from an iPad Air 2, and I have never been happier that I did. I have far better display latency, and the picture quality is far superior to what I had on my Air2.
Get somebody to clean yours up ....

Reactions: louforgiveno
The Tab S is one of the most powerful tablets on the market. The problem is with the software. DJI should be able to fix it ... sooner than later, I hope.

Have the Tab S 8.5". Couldn't believe how bad it looked in Pilot App. But once I found this thread - it works now - It's amazing that the users figured this out on their own with Google Play Services upgrade resulting in the lag. It seems like early on they said it was related to the GPS - when in Atti the problem vanished and as more sats linked, the problem worsened. So something to do with that and Google Play. Score one for the users until the next issue crops up. It's a fast tab with amazing AMOLED screen. I wonder if I can just root it to plain old Android without all the Samsung stuff. No carrier.

I tried disabling the Google updater and rolling back updates to it and Maps as suggested in some discussions. Although I have only done limited testing, it seems to have fixed the problems on the Tab S for me.

-- Roger

I tried disabling the Google updater and rolling back updates to it and Maps as suggested in some discussions. Although I have only done limited testing, it seems to have fixed the problems on the Tab S for me.

-- Roger
Yes seems to fix the dji pilot problems.

Reactions: n6vmo
Is this difficult for an amateur software "tech" type of person? Looks tough

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's a wee bit tricky as while the instructions are mostly clear, they are spread out and there are many steps. It will void your warranty too.

Seems to be working well so far though. I like it

I'm pretty good at flashing hardware - that site is not a very good tutorial on rooting a Samsung tab for a beginner - sort of confusing. There is probably a site with a better step by step. Unless you really need to do this, better to simply downgrade Google Play Services as described on the DJI forum.

For just fixing the latency problem with video downlink on Tab S:

Just roll back the Google Play Services and consider the Developer Mode tweaks set after enabling developer mode in Android settings - search on google on how to enable this if you don't know how.... I am doing these too:

Scroll all the way down and set the limit background apps allowed to none. Also set GPU to force 2D rendering.

A task manager app can also help to kill other apps running in the background.

And Again, the main FIrst Step to roll back Google Services as mentioned above:
1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted. ---nothing happened for me like that. It simply disabled. I guess I did not have the updates.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > (or Turned Off) Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services - This re-enables the services in the old version. You need to do this to use the download functionality of the App Store and other Google apps.

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl