Pilot App Differences

Reaction score
UNCLASSIFIED

I have shortlisted my Tablet HW to either the Ipad mini 2 or Shield. I have read on the forum there is differences in the Pilot App depending on whether it’s an IOS or Android version, depending upon any variations this may sway me one way or the other.

Can anybody shed light on this? And if so what features/functions are missing

I have an iPad mini 2 and a Galaxy s6 and this is what I've found:

Android: (v 1.2.0)
- doesn't have the flight simulator
- in the camera view, it has both the map and the radar. The map can be minimized into the corner and hidden
- doesn't show the camera settings in camera view
- from what I have read in reviews, iOS appears to be more stable
(I have not actually flown with android as I just got the phone yesterday)

IOS: (v 1.1.2)
- you have to switch between the map and radar in the bottom left and cannot have both displayed an the same time while in FPV
- in my experience, "Director" crashes 2-3 times on average when editing a short clip using the templates (haven't tested android)
- I have had one experience out of 9 flights where it said "Disconnected" and lost the camera feed. Luckily it was 10ft away so I landed it immediately. With my iPad mini 2 on a hot day (30deg C) it would lag pretty bad once the app was running for 5-10 min, and the ipad was quite hot. I was only doing 50% battery flights so it was manageable. On cooler days I have not had this problem.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435810314.440671.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435810330.689884.jpg

That's not the current version of the iOS app. It's at 1.2.0 now.

In the latest version, the map is in the lower right and the radar is in the lower left, like your Android screenshot.

The height, distance, and speed indicators are consolidated in a denser gauge layout near the radar in the latest version too, unlike your Android screenshot.

anyone have ipa 1.1.2 ? 1.2.0 is very buggy, I get signal issues like crazy even when I'm close by. I did 3.2 miles on 1.1.2 and my stupid ipad did an auto update...

UNCLASSIFIED

I have shortlisted my Tablet HW to either the Ipad mini 2 or Shield. I have read on the forum there is differences in the Pilot App depending on whether it’s an IOS or Android version, depending upon any variations this may sway me one way or the other.

Can anybody shed light on this? And if so what features/functions are missing
I have had zero problems with the Nvidia Shield. Don't have an IOS device, but you can read the problems that others have had above.

I have had zero problems with the Nvidia Shield. Don't have an IOS device, but you can read the problems that others have had above.

A firm 2nd for the shield. No issues, cheap price, port for hdmi FPV goggles.

My mistake! Sorry for the inaccurate information regarding the camera settings showing on android. They must show up when the phone is connected to the R/C - I hadn't had a chance to test this yet so thanks to Meta4 for the correction.

Thanks for the update on IOS 1.2.0 Dave Ward. I hadn't updated my app yet and might hold off on the update considering it has been working fine for me and some users are reporting problems with v1.2.0.

I have an iPad mini 2 and a Galaxy s6 and this is what I've found:

Android: (v 1.2.0)
- doesn't have the flight simulator
- in the camera view, it has both the map and the radar. The map can be minimized into the corner and hidden
- doesn't show the camera settings in camera view
- from what I have read in reviews, iOS appears to be more stable
(I have not actually flown with android as I just got the phone yesterday)

IOS: (v 1.1.2)
- you have to switch between the map and radar in the bottom left and cannot have both displayed an the same time while in FPV
- in my experience, "Director" crashes 2-3 times on average when editing a short clip using the templates (haven't tested android)
- I have had one experience out of 9 flights where it said "Disconnected" and lost the camera feed. Luckily it was 10ft away so I landed it immediately. With my iPad mini 2 on a hot day (30deg C) it would lag pretty bad once the app was running for 5-10 min, and the ipad was quite hot. I was only doing 50% battery flights so it was manageable. On cooler days I have not had this problem.
View attachment 23660
View attachment 23661
Just an FYI since you haven't flown the S6..app layout excluded my S6 works perfectly, zero lag.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic