Pictures from Phantom Vision 2

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Phantom Vision 2.
I have already seen movies made by people in this forum, but I haven´t seen many pictures.

With a 14megapixel camera it should be able to make quite good pictures and in a high resolution.
I have only seen pictures in 800 x 600. What is the highest resolution it can make picture in and can anyone show some pictures (in highest res.).

Last but not least, is it worth the money or should I consider another quadcopter in the same price range?

Regards

Hi ZonCom,

Thanks! Nice pictures and videos, thought I could not find any pictures in highest resolution.
The resolution of your pictures is 1280 x 960

Can the fish eye view of the pictures be adjusted? If I look at picture #195, it seems you are not very high up, but already there you see the fish eye effect.

Anybody know if the GoPro is doing the same?

Just so we are all clear, I am new to this and it will be my first quadcopter. That why I am asking all these questions :)

Regards

Wolfpack said:
Hi ZonCom,

Thanks! Nice pictures and videos, thought I could not find any pictures in highest resolution.

Can the fish eye view of the pictures be adjusted? If I look at picture #195, it seems you are not very high up, but already there you see the fish eye effect.

Just so we are all clear, I am new to this and it will be my first quadcopter. That why I am asking all these questions :)

Regards

Gopro fisheye is even worse at its widest settings. Gopro has a advantage as GoPro studio software is free and it corrects fisheye in both video and pictures and is a very simple program to use. For the phantom you will need to buy adobe photoshop and use the dji lense profile to remove the fisheye from phantom pics. You can also use a free program called gimp but it crops a lot of the photo when doing so and is little more complicated.

I use Gimp (linux user here) and have to say I find it straightforward to do simple correction, but as you say the result is slightly less polished due to some cropping, so if the full width and height of the image is crucial then this simple filter's not for you. However the software's free and all you need to do is go to Filters>Distorts>Lens Distortion and put the value in "main" to about -55. Job done, and perfectly acceptable for most photos. (Other options to tweak if you want to get more techie).

I use Smugmug for photos and videos as we do Pro Photography & Video. It is about $250 a year.
You can click on a photo to make it fill the screen. Then on the bottom right click on Sizes to get larger version. I don't think I have the Original size available but you can see them pretty good in the X3-Large setting.

You can correct the FISHEYE look in post-production for photo and video. Adobe just released a Camera Profile for Adobe RAW, Lightroom & Photoshop. When you apply this Camera Profile it gets rid of the fisheye distortion. It's not perfect so you still will need to crop the photo a bit but at least you won't have a curved horizon.

Here is a link to a video I did this week. All I did was fix the lens distortion and add a little more saturation.
http://zoncom.smugmug.com/services/...&height=1080&albumId=35277360&albumKey=ZGqdSg

I'm not sure if I'm expecting to much from the camera or it's just not great. I have a worry I have a defect as the left side of my photos seem softer then the center and right. I am very new and so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I've always wanted something to mount my DSLR on but can't afford that. The Vision seemed like a happy medium - anyway here are a few shots I took today http://www.flickr.com/photos/63097412@N ... 705425295/ you can see large sizes on flickr I believe.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.
I think I am convinced and will order within the next week.

Thanks

Cheers,

DJI are aware of the left hand softness on some units. My camera is getting swapped hopefully this week.
There is NO raw converter at the moment. It is only a lens profile which has been developed which isnt great either.
Until the raw converter is available we just do not know if the camera is any good or not but first impressions from the Jpeg files is not promising. there are numerous postings regarding the issues of camera quality on the board.

BenDronePilot said:
GoPro studio software is free and it corrects fisheye in both video and pictures and is a very simple program to use.

I downloaded this today but can't find a way of saving a .jpeg as a .jpeg.....It always wants to save a photo as a movie file....Is this a limitation of the software, or am I doing something wrong?

....Just seems a shame, it lets you correct the fisheye, but then you can't use the file as a .jpeg :(

Wolfpack said:
Hi ZonCom,

Regards

Regarding the fish eye effect and lens correction, I've been using the lens profile DJI issued for photoshop. I've posted and example of a before and after.
Here's the before: http://www.pbase.com/image/153811912

and here's the after: http://www.pbase.com/image/153811939

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers