Picture size

Reaction score
Silly question, searched and did not find my answer.

If the camera P3P takes 12 or 16 Megapixels, shouldn't that relate to 12-16 MB picture size?
I see all these awesome photos and mine always look blurry and ugly when you zoom. in. What am I doing wrong? My picture files are 3.4 MBs each.

The resolution of the photos is 4000x3000=12,000,000 pixels. Some call that 12 megapixels although more correctly it is 12 million pixels since a megapixel is 1024x1024 pixels, close to 1.05 million. The size of the compressed JPEG file varies quite a bit depending on content. Mine are typically somewhere around 5MB. The amount of detail and color causes each different photo to be a different size because they are compressed differently. In most cameras (not the P3 though, at least for now) you can change the aggressiveness of the compression, trading off image quality for file size. DJI has picked a reasonable value IMO although I would certainly prefer control over this.

If you were to store the 12 million pixels in an uncompressed format, you would have 12m pixels x 24 bits per pixel / 8 bits per byte = 36 million bytes. JPEG is a good thing for photos! A rule of thumb I use is that >10x compression is too much.

You can read up on stuff like this here: Image file formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Silly question, searched and did not find my answer.
If the camera P3P takes 12 or 16 Megapixels, shouldn't that relate to 12-16 MB picture size?
What am I doing wrong? My picture files are 3.4 MBs each.
Shoot Raw and you'll see much bigger files.
Shoot in JPG (compressed) and you get smaller files.

Shoot Raw and you'll see much bigger files.
Shoot in JPG (compressed) and you get smaller files.
Not entirely true. The file size is a lot bigger in raw, but the pixel dimensions are still 4000px X 3000px. Raw enables a heap more headroom for image manipulation. Any serious shooter will be shooting raw these days.

Not entirely true. The file size is a lot bigger in raw, but the pixel dimensions are still 4000px X 3000px. Raw enables a heap more headroom for image manipulation. Any serious shooter will be shooting raw these days.
Not entirely true ??
Raw = bigger files ... jpg = smaller files
I don't see how that is anything but entirely true.

Pixel dimensions remain the same, Raw or jpeg. You are right the depth of file is huge with 4096 levels of grey as opposed to 256. But dimension remains the same.

Also
Sharpness
Contrast
Saturation
Colour mode (Adobe RGB, sRGB)
White balance
are all floating.

What was being asked is file size and there was nothing incorrect in the information I gave.
The OP doesn't understand or care about all the other details.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
Raw Rules!
Shoot JPG+DNG and compare!
However, I just discovered that you must shoot JPG only, if you want to shoot at either 5 or 7 second intervals for time exposure shots, as both options are grayed out otherwise. Shortest interval is 10 seconds for DNG.
Also, if shooting a 5 image bracketed AE exposures, you have to wait a full 30+ seconds for the first set to be fully processed, before you can shoot another (even though you'll hear 5 shutter sounds that do nothing if you don't wait), and the first AE bracketed shot must be made with the onscreen shutter release, before the transmitter shutter release will work properly for any subsequent AE bracketed shots! :cool: Beware! :eek:

What was being asked is file size and there was nothing incorrect in the information I gave.
The OP doesn't understand or care about all the other details.
The original post is titled "Picture Size". I think we are both aware of the detail, just trying to help others out who don't know. Anyway let's stop the bickering and let others get involved without our noisy selves. [emoji4]

Larger Meg a pixel, the ability to make the picture larger without it getting graine and blown apart. Better editing to end up with a good quality photo. All to do with the end result. RIGHT!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj