Picture quality (with 100% crop exemple)

Reaction score
Im new to drones and just bought my phantom 3 Adv 2 weeks ago. Im pretty pleased with the video quality, especially when I turn down the in-camera picture processing and have that done in Final Cut Pro instead.

But when it comes to still images I'm disappointed with the outcome. I know its not a flying DSLR, but the picture lacks a lot of details. Most of the picture is just blurry. I have attached a link to a JPG which is straight out of the camera (I just did a 100% crop in PS, center of picture); ISO 100, 1/200, LOG) Yeah I know that the picture is a bit underexposed, but I wanted to keep the ISO low and shutter speed fast enough.

Is this what you other guys also get from the camera when it comes to still pictures?

Dropbox - 100% crop.jpg

100% crop.jpg

Initially I was also disappointed with P3P, however I've learnt that to get the best out of the files you do need to be quite proficient in your post-processing. I'm wondering if shooting in LOG has given this a murky, soft look? I didn't even realise you could shoot stills in LOG, I thought that was just for video.
This is a gallery of images, mostly P3P, that I have shot over the last few months....
As The Crow Flies - atphoto

You can do a lot in post but at the end of the day it is a small sensor and a low cost lens. I tend not to look at 100% nowadays and even the most striking of pictures including the ones above which are awesome are not that pretty at 100%.

One thing I would suggest is shoot in both JPG and DNG for a while and look at the output from the JPG to get an idea of what DJI get out of that camera and then better it with the DNG in post.

Reactions: villep
And i don't get it why to look pictures at 100% crop? Sure if you can lift camera like phase one etc you can get nice shots to crop, but afterall now we talk camera and lens worth of 500$ or something like that. It is fun and you get pretty nice pictures if you can shoot manual and do post. for me, i amhappy if i can use pictures as wallpaper on my 15" mbp retina. Just have fun and you get better day by day!

ATPhoto: Great pictures! What is your general post process for pictures like these? Yes, I believe the picture is shoot in LOG mode.

MattyDread: Then Im not alone, probably not any error on my camera or strange settings then.

Villep: Nice subjects, nicely composed!! But poor picture quality (maybe thats a result of being compressed when uploading them)
I don't usually look or crop pic at 100%, I just wanted to be clear on what I meant on poor pic quality. Too me, my pictures look kind of rubbish at 50% also. At least on my 27" IPS screen.

sdharris: Yeah, I will shoot in both jpg and DNG from now on. Hopefully I can get the pictures look acceptable after doing some post processing.

ATPhoto: Great pictures! What is your general post process for pictures like these? Yes, I believe the picture is shoot in LOG mode.

MattyDread: Then Im not alone, probably not any error on my camera or strange settings then.

Villep: Nice subjects, nicely composed!! But poor picture quality (maybe thats a result of being compressed when uploading them)
I don't usually look or crop pic at 100%, I just wanted to be clear on what I meant on poor pic quality. Too me, my pictures look kind of rubbish at 50% also. At least on my 27" IPS screen.

sdharris: Yeah, I will shoot in both jpg and DNG from now on. Hopefully I can get the pictures look acceptable after doing some post processing.
Hmmm...in my 2560 screen they are fine...i really don't know what is wrong if they look like compressed or poor quality....:/ i have them in my new flickr account too: ville perttilahti
Imo forest picture is poor beacause of wind

And for sure 27" screen is big, maybe too big for this camera. 24" is fine :)

Last edited:
Initially I was also disappointed with P3P, however I've learnt that to get the best out of the files you do need to be quite proficient in your post-processing. I'm wondering if shooting in LOG has given this a murky, soft look? I didn't even realise you could shoot stills in LOG, I thought that was just for video.
This is a gallery of images, mostly P3P, that I have shot over the last few months....
As The Crow Flies - atphoto
just looked at your photos there are some really great shots in there,very nice work.

Reactions: ATPhoto
I'm used to shooting with my 36MP Nikon D800 but honestly I'm so impressed by the quality of the P3 camera. If you shoot RAW and process in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop you will get fantastic results. Here is a full resolution shot from yesterday at Torrey Pines.
Dropbox - DJI_0459-Edit.jpg

Reactions: villep
I'm used to shooting with my 36MP Nikon D800 but honestly I'm so impressed by the quality of the P3 camera. If you shoot RAW and process in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop you will get fantastic results. Here is a full resolution shot from yesterday at Torrey Pines.

That looks really good! Not blurry and not the noise I get in my pictures. What do you use to get rid of the noise?
If I managed to get that quality on my picture I would be really pleased.

Reactions: Cerone
That looks really good! Not blurry and not the noise I get in my pictures. What do you use to get rid of the noise?
If I managed to get that quality on my picture I would be really pleased.
Your image above is likely blurry due to too slow of a shutter. Make sure you stop moving the phantom and let it hover in place for 2-3 seconds before shooting. Don't shoot images while flying.

Set your ISO to get a properly exposed image from the start. If you shoot at ISO 100 and then push it in post you'll get a noisier image than just shooting ISO 400 from the start. Either way, Lightrooms noise removal is awesome. Definitely worth the $9 a month for Photoshop and Lightroom if you do a lot of photos.

Reactions: SightFlight
This is a picture from mine took today
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443730901.133653.jpg

Hi Anders, I do all my PP work in photoshop. I have been shooting landscape for a long time with high quality cameras and my biggest piece of advice : do lots of practice! You will eventually get better as you learn the program and find out all the different options you have. Look forward to seeing your future images!

It's best to use RAW for still photos - provided you have prior experience of getting the best from this mode on other cameras.
You need suitable software to tweak RAW images and convert them.
Lightroom works well. There are various others and some are free.

The image quality is comparable to a mid-range compact camera or a good mobile phone.
You can get good results.

20733031145_f790c1a0d6_o.jpg

Reactions: Toddzilla and bbfpv
It's best to use RAW for still photos - provided you have prior experience of getting the best from this mode on other cameras.
You need suitable software to tweak RAW images and convert them.
Lightroom works well. There are various others and some are free.
I'm pretty newbish to anything photography past a point and shoot. Can you or anyone point me towards a tutorial, or more info on how to use RAW and post editing, preferably phantom specific? Thanks

I agree. I get great results with this camera and a bit of post production in Adobe.

I also take AEB5 pictures, combine them in Photoshop, and i turn down the sharpness contrast on the app, and these are the result. Keep in mind I'm a bit new to post production

Attachments

• 1443807624513.jpg
    1443807624513.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 1443807644887.jpg
    1443807644887.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 560
  • 1443807668649.jpg
    1443807668649.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 525
  • 1443807735782.jpg
    1443807735782.jpg