Picture from my Drone made the News

Reaction score
We had some crazy storms today around Houston with a ton of flooding. So i figured why not get the drone out to check out our Neighborhood. In the back it was pretty bad as three houses where close to flooding. I sent a few pictures to 13 news here in Houston and they aired it a few times today.

2la5un8.jpg

2womb2v.jpg

Nice, did they mention the pics came from a "drone"?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good job

Is that a thumprint or just moisture from the rain.

Great job!

Is that a thumprint or just moisture from the rain.

Looks like a rain drop on the lense. Know that look very well from the GoPro days :)

I often sell pics to local newspapers from my drone. I get about 20$ per shot.
And I get to call myself a freelance photographer! :). With my drone I can get to scenes the news photographers can't access from the ground and get shots they could only dream of getting.
d52c2e467542b7fd0208fce6ff0a4b0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And I get to call myself a freelance photographer! :). With my drone I can get to scenes the news photographers can't access from the ground and get shots they could only dream of getting.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Nightcrawler? Is that you?

While that may be true about being a freelance photog & obtaining pix others cannot as you say. Hopefully, you have the 333 exemption? Otherwise, being paid for those pix could get you in serious trouble while using your quad copter.

I'm sure there must be (at least) a couple of unlicensed shooters out there.
But for all the fuss about Section 333 exemptions, pilot licenses etc, the FAA isn't making very many prosecutions for commercial use without a 333.

You'd think so ... but that might not be correct
Here's the surprising story ...
FAA Says Media Can Use Drone Photos From Citizen Journalists, Not Professionals
FAA Memo on Media Use of FAA

Interesting...hadn't read through the memo before. It does specifically mention selling pictures to media that had been gathered from an noncommissioned amateur flight, citing the unchanged nature of the flight itself given the decision to sell the pictures later. Good to file away.

Any way, good on ya, Matt. I grew up near flood plains and had the opportunity to take a few heli flights over them once in a while. That much water only becomes more striking from the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub