Pics of Vision+ fpv mods

Reaction score
Range Extender:
This is the inside of the range extender

These are the various adapter cables you will need for modding different aspects of the flight experience of your Vision+

The first three from the left are u.fl to rp-sma adapters. They are used for modding your range extender as well as your controller. The first two are made with RG178 cables, which are better in quality than the third one, which is made with RF113 cables. You will want to get the RG178 ones for better range and stability. The longer one (about 15cm) is what you need for the controller mod whereas the shorter one (10 cm) will suffice for the range extender mod. The second last one from the right is the mmcx to rp-sma adapter, which is what you need for modding the fpv transmitter inside your copter. Depending on where you are going to fit your 2.4GHz pinwheel antennas, cables of 20cm to 25cm long will do.

The following is the fpv transmitter of your Vision+. Just disconnect the original antennas and connect the adapters to the fpv transmitter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,441
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,342
Pics showing one of my favourite fpv setups

Pilot end:

Copter end:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,480
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,458
Awesome, thanks for doing this! What booster is that? So you're running both FPV transmitter antennas through a booster

I was thinking about just boosting with SUNHANS 2.5W but it would only boost one of the antennas, would that OK? For example, I ordered just a stage1 from FPVLR.com and was going to do that mod and eventually boost the 1/2 dome antenna thinking I didn't also need to boost the pinwheel.

At this point you're still using stock 5.8? I watched your 3.3km flight, was that with only the FPV moded? Thanks a bunch ben, you're helping us out a lot!

jdvmi00 said:
Awesome, thanks for doing this! What booster is that? So you're running both FPV transmitter antennas through a booster

I was thinking about just boosting with SUNHANS 2.5W but it would only boost one of the antennas, would that OK? For example, I ordered just a stage1 from FPVLR.com and was going to do that mod and eventually boost the 1/2 dome antenna thinking I didn't also need to boost the pinwheel.

At this point you're still using stock 5.8? I watched your 3.3km flight, was that with only the FPV moded? Thanks a bunch ben, you're helping us out a lot!
That is a 1W dual-in, dual-out 2.4GHz MIMO booster. I use it to boost the (receiving) range extender, not the transmitting end. I previously used a 2.5W Sunhans but thought it was a little excessive in terms of power output. Some people use one helical and one pinwheel on the range extender, as they believe this would give them best of both worlds--helical for longer range and pinwheel for 360-degree close-in. However. I prefer two helical antennas and I have never experienced wifi signal cutoffs when closing in! That's why I opt for my current dual-helical boosted setup.

For the 5.8GHz control, I am currently using a small 14dBi patch antenna, which seems to suffice for the fpv range I am getting now :D

bentwng said:
jdvmi00 said:

That is a 1W dual-in, dual-out 2.4GHz MIMO booster. I use it to boost the (receiving) range extender, not the transmitting end. I previously used a 2.5W Sunhans but thought it was a little excessive in terms of power output. Some people use one helical and one pinwheel on the range extender, as they believe this would give them best of both worlds--helical for longer range and pinwheel for 360-degree close-in. However. I prefer two helical antennas and I have never experienced wifi signal cutoffs when closing in! That's why I opt for my current dual-helical boosted setup.

For the 5.8GHz control, I am currently using a small 14dBi patch antenna, which seems to suffice for the fpv range I am getting now :D

hold on..so you are getting those control distances on a non-amplified 14dBi patch antenna? can you post a link to this patch antenna?

Great thanks, sorry for all my questions, the reason I'm confused is because the kits coming out of FPVLR.com are a different setup. Are both pinwheels on the phantom side hooked to the FPV or is one hooked to the 5.8? I know FPVLR stage 2 only has one pinwheel for the FPV so I'm not sure if I should stick with one or add another.

Right now I'm thinking my setup will be FPVLR stage 2 without the 5.8 mod on the phantom. Then eventually boosting the helical antenna with maybe a 1W booster to stay "legal".
- Thoughts on this setup?
- Will dual helical antennas on the range extender help, or will one be fine?
- So if I understand you correctly you have the 1W booster in the Phantom? If so, how is it powered? Any pics?
- Should I put 2 pinwheel antennas hooked up to the phantom side FPV or will one be fine?

tizzl10 said:
bentwng said:
jdvmi00 said:

hold on..so you are getting those control distances on a non-amplified 14dBi patch antenna? can you post a link to this patch antenna?
I am using this patch antenna for control:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 1,208
jdvmi00 said:
Great thanks, sorry for all my questions, the reason I'm confused is because the kits coming out of FPVLR.com are a different setup. Are both pinwheels on the phantom side hooked to the FPV or is one hooked to the 5.8? I know FPVLR stage 2 only has one pinwheel for the FPV so I'm not sure if I should stick with one or add another.

Right now I'm thinking my setup will be FPVLR stage 2 without the 5.8 mod on the phantom. Then eventually boosting the helical antenna with maybe a 1W booster to stay "legal".
- Thoughts on this setup?
- Will dual helical antennas on the range extender help, or will one be fine?
- So if I understand you correctly you have the 1W booster in the Phantom? If so, how is it powered? Any pics?
- Should I put 2 pinwheel antennas hooked up to the phantom side FPV or will one be fine?
Both my pinwheels are 2.4GHz for fpv. I haven't changed the 5.8GHz antenna on my Vision+ simply because this would involve soldering, which I am not particularly good at.

It must be pointed out that the purpose of adding pinwheels for fpv is not to extend its range, since the original antennas are believed to be more powerful than the pinwheels in terms of range. The reason why one would like to add one, or even two, pinwheel to the copter side fpv is that it allows better reception of wifi signals, regardless of the copter's orientation, allowing one to yaw without losing fpv.

For your case, I think you may start with one 2.4GHz helical on the extender and see what range you get. If you are not satisfied, then it's always possible and easy to add another one.

My 1W booster is for the range extender, boosting the power of signal received, rather than for boosting the wifi signal transmitted from the copter! It is powered by a small 12V lipo battery pack, like the one below:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 509
Thanks FPVLR, I appreciate all your info, I have to say I'm so confused now. I've already placed two orders with you and now I'm thinking I've ordered all the wrong stuff. I would be fine with a 3-4km range and staying "legal" with 1W booster. My problem is I've placed orders because the booster comes from Japan so now I already have a SANHAUN 2.5W on the way and now I think I actually need the 1W with that 3 antenna you just showed. Are you saying that just that 3 Antenna config with a 1W booster and nothing on the phantom would give me 3-4km range on the vision+

Alib said:
very ugly and bulky compared to the fpvlr antenna's

Actually the 6.5 turn helical is an FPVLR antenna, granted it's one of the more bulky ones it will provided the best range. The most popular FPVLR antennas are the Parastic Helix and Half Dome do to their compact size.

bentwng said:
It must be pointed out that the purpose of adding pinwheels for fpv is not to extend its range, since the original antennas are believed to be more powerful than the pinwheels in terms of range. The reason why one would like to add one, or even two, pinwheel to the copter side fpv is that it allows better reception of wifi signals, regardless of the copter's orientation, allowing one to yaw without losing fpv.

I'd say the answer to that is yes and no. Going with 2dbi pinwheels you are getting more gain overall than the built in antennas on the Phantom 2 Vision or Vision Plus, but it's omni directional instead of directional. So with a pair of correctly placed Skew Planer or Cloverleaf antennas you'll get similar range give or take as the Phantom would have only been able to do flying sideway towards you.

In the wifi extender are both rf ports tx and RX or is there a dedicated one for TX and other for RX?

If dedicated can you I'd the TX one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

antonbdp said:
In the wifi extender are both rf ports tx and RX or is there a dedicated one for TX and other for RX?

If dedicated can you I'd the TX one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is no specific port for Rx and tx they are the same. Tho some people have better results with one over the other as the build quality of the range extenders vary.

waiting on my 14dbi panel antenna to come in the mail. can anybody tell me the expected control distances with this antenna?

Attachments

• sku_304984_4.jpg
    sku_304984_4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 343

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1