photographing a point of interest

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone knows if this works.

Am I right in thinking that when you are in homelock and you push the right-hand stick left or right the phantom moves in a circle around the home point?

If so, suppose the home point is something you wish to film, such as a statue. If the camera is facing the statue when you engage homelock and you move the right-hand stick left or right will the camera continue to face the statue during the 360 degrees circular flight around the statue?

nope.

Lets say your phantom is facing north. It will just circle it and remain facing north.
You need to be controlling yaw as you circle.

It's pointless using home lock IOC for small objects/poi as it switches to course lock when less than 10m of home point.
Its best if practice on normal mode and use both sticks.

What if you were to take the camera off and re mount it 90 degrees (say left) then fly multiple waypoints (counterclockwise). you'd have to take the legs off at least on that side because they'd be in the field of view. This way you'd be videoing your POI

That would 'confuse' the gimbal.

It uses internal IMU measurements to correct unwanted motion to maintain stability.

Trick is to move left and right sticks on equal and opposite directions slowly. Just takes a little practice

Mako79 said:
nope.

Lets say your phantom is facing north. It will just circle it and remain facing north.

It's pointless using home lock IOC for small objects/poi as it switches to course lock when less than 10m of home point.

I'm sorry but I have video and experience that contradicts what you stated. I set home point. Flew out 400 meteres, turned around to fim myself and in homelock held the stick. Dji flew a circle around me and I was the focus of the entire arc. No yaw input required.

You are right that under 10 meters you lose the lock...

myvrodrocks said:
Mako79 said:
nope.

I'm sorry but I have video and experience that contradicts what you stated. I set home point. Flew out 400 meteres, turned around to fim myself and in homelock held the stick. Dji flew a circle around me and I was the focus of the entire arc. No yaw input required.

You are right that under 10 meters you lose the lock...
hmm, mine doesn't fly circles. It just keeps going left or right according to my vector

I have specifically run a test to see if this works as it would be very handy. It does fly some type of arc but it does not fly a circle around the home point. The arc appears to be much larger than the distance from home point to the Phantom. It was spiraling out fast enough to be scary.

On the other hand my son, with no practice, flew a circle around himself always pointed inward. Notice that most of the time he is looking at the downlinked video so this could have been around any point. With practice one could get good at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7YVYrs ... ObwC0HUbmg

I can't see how just using the right stick alone can cause the bird to fly in an arc.

Point is, why should it? How would it know whether you want to fly in an arc or not? Suppose I want it to fly in a straight line instead of an arc? What command would I have to give it to fly straight left or right instead of an arc? For instance, I'm at the 50-yard line on the out-of-bounds line of a football field. I fly across to the opposite side then turn the bird around 180°. If I hit stick right or left, the bird should follow the out-of-bounds line, NOT follow an arc around me.

If using just the right stick will cause it to fly in an arc, than how does it determine the arc? Suppose it's facing away from you? Will if fly in an arc and always keep you it it's back? Suppose you fly straight out 100, then turn 90°. What arc will it make while flying towards or away from you?

Sorry, right stick right is straight to the right, stick left is straight to the left.

480sparky said:
I can't see how just using the right stick alone can cause the bird to fly in an arc.

Point is, why should it? How would it know whether you want to fly in an arc or not? Suppose I want it to fly in a straight line instead of an arc? What command would I have to give it to fly straight left or right instead of an arc? For instance, I'm at the 50-yard line on the out-of-bounds line of a football field. I fly across to the opposite side then turn the bird around 180°. If I hit stick right or left, the bird should follow the out-of-bounds line, NOT follow an arc around me.

If using just the right stick will cause it to fly in an arc, than how does it determine the arc? Suppose it's facing away from you? Will if fly in an arc and always keep you it it's back? Suppose you fly straight out 100, then turn 90°. What arc will it make while flying towards or away from you?

Sorry, right stick right is straight to the right, stick left is straight to the left.

With Home Lock enabled and more than 10 meters away from the home point, pushing the right stick left or right will make it fly in an arc with the home point as the center of the arc. The bird can be facing in any direction as it flies, but the arc will not change (theoretically).

The size of the arc flown is determined by the distance from the home point.

With Home Lock disabled, pushing the right stick left or right will make it fly in a straight line.

With Home Lock enabled and more than 10 meters away from the home point, pushing the right stick left or right will make it fly in an arc with the home point as the center of the arc. The bird can be facing in any direction as it flies, but the arc will not change (theoretically).

With Home Lock disabled, pushing the right stick left or right will make it fly in a straight line.

Have you actually tested this?
I tried it earlier hoping it was true but with home lock enabled it did curve but in an ever widening spiral.

John Shaw said:

Have you actually tested this?
I tried it earlier hoping it was true but with home lock enabled it did curve but in an ever widening spiral.

That's why I added "theoretically"! :D

When I do it, it does spiral out about 3/4 of the time, more with higher winds. Other times it does an almost perfect circle. It seems that the faster I fly to the left or right, the faster it spirals out. I've done some slow moves around trees and it does better.

John Shaw said:
I have specifically run a test to see if this works as it would be very handy. It does fly some type of arc but it does not fly a circle around the home point. The arc appears to be much larger than the distance from home point to the Phantom. It was spiraling out fast enough to be scary.

On the other hand my son, with no practice, flew a circle around himself always pointed inward. Notice that most of the time he is looking at the downlinked video so this could have been around any point. With practice one could get good at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7YVYrs ... ObwC0HUbmg

Is your son available to give me lessons? :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie