Photographing a large area and stitching together

Reaction score
Hi

New here and just got the p3a.

I have a task that requires a large area to be photographed and I want to do lower level stills and stitch together using widely available software.

I have a couple of questions

Is there any best practices?

Will the p3a's height be stable enough to shoot?

Is there a way I could grid out the area into sections and use waypoints to get more accurate shots?

Hope some one can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in (p3)advance(d)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You need to use a third party app to fly the survey grid and capture the images. (Pix4dCapture, DJI Map Pilot by MME, DroneDeploy or UgCS).
The altitude flown is determined by the desired ground resolution (about 60m for ~1" Ground Sampling Distance with the P3 camera). The amount of overlap required depends on the nature of the site, but 70-80% is a good rule of thumb.

There are dozens of best practices for quality data acquisition and analysis. Depending on your requirements, you can use a cloud service like DroneDeploy or MapsMadeEasy to stitch, or if you need a truly professional product, or advanced measurement tools, you will need something like Pix4dMapper.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. How big an area? 5 acres, 20, 100? What are you trying to learn? Do you just want a color orthograph (map)? Or are you looking for elevation information?

Reactions: MC_

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic