Photographers vest setup, I opted for a MOLLE CIRAS

Reaction score
So, instead of a photographers vest...I opted for a tactical MOLLE vest so I can customize the pouches. I'll set up an Admin pouch for a multi-tool (where a flashlight would go) and I will need a radio pouch for a VHF/UHF transceiver, dump pouch for dumping expended batteries, utility pouch for FPV goggles, small pouches such as pistol mag pouches for FPV goggle batteries but I'm trying to find a pouch for P3 and Inspire 1 batteries. I also need a padded utility pouch for a DSLR, pouch for gopro, etc.

Would double M16 mag pouches fit extra batteries? I'll also need pouches for tablets, a hydration pouch on the back and other stuff. I'm ex-military so the plate carriers and tactical vests are familiar to me like the RRV, CIRAS. I currently use an decent quality airsoft FAST helmet to mount a Gopro to document flights as well as for head protection.

Any other's use photography vests in the field or other military/airsoft gear to hold the number of items we need to carry around as drone pilots?

That's an impressive and possibly intimidating vest :)

We wear t-shirts and if the need arises for "visibility" we have Hi-Viz vests to wear. Like any other aspect of this hobby to each their own.

Reactions: 750r
So, instead of a photographers vest...I opted for a tactical MOLLE vest so I can customize the pouches. I'll set up an Admin pouch for a multi-tool (where a flashlight would go) and I will need a radio pouch for a VHF/UHF transceiver, dump pouch for dumping expended batteries, utility pouch for FPV goggles, small pouches such as pistol mag pouches for FPV goggle batteries but I'm trying to find a pouch for P3 and Inspire 1 batteries. I also need a padded utility pouch for a DSLR, pouch for gopro, etc.

Would double M16 mag pouches fit extra batteries? I'll also need pouches for tablets, a hydration pouch on the back and other stuff. I'm ex-military so the plate carriers and tactical vests are familiar to me like the RRV, CIRAS. I currently use an decent quality airsoft FAST helmet to mount a Gopro to document flights as well as for head protection.

Any other's use photography vests in the field or other military/airsoft gear to hold the number of items we need to carry around as drone pilots?
How about a backpack? Mine fits everything you mentioned.
image.jpg

And, it has the loops as well!
image.jpg

DJI Phantom 3 Backpack Limited Edition Black | GPC, Inc.

Are you going to film a war ?
Even if you where going to hike a mile or so to fly you do not want all the gear strapped to your body back pack or case is what you want . I think you would be a first if you go you way do as you want long as your happy all that matters we just give opinions .

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Ya.. pretty much this ^

I spent seven years lugging LBE a rucksack and my M16/M60. I don't feel the need to gear up to enjoy flying.

To each their own though.

I humped the 249 for 10 years, now I do videography and hump 2 sony camcorders, camera caddy, shoulder rig and a dslr plus 2 drones to alot of events. I was going to go for the traditional photographer's vest but it's just not set up for me to access batteries, tablets, wifi routers, laptop, radio transceivers, headsets w/ boom mics or hand mics and keep everything on my body and not have to hump back and forth to where all my gear is kept, plus having hydration and an ifak kept with me in case of emergencies.

i'm just going with what i'm comfortable with, something that's flexible, able to change out molle pouches and customize a loadout. it's not like i'm carrying plate armor in them, it's just a vest with webbing that i can hang pouches off of.

Are you going to film a war ?
Even if you where going to hike a mile or so to fly you do not want all the gear strapped to your body back pack or case is what you want . I think you would be a first if you go you way do as you want long as your happy all that matters we just give opinions .

I have the Novagear large DSLR backpack that fits everything packed away (my other unmentionable bags are all my used tactical tailor gear from the army) I have already have all the shooting gear i need for the zombie outbreak but adding drones to my videography stuff has pushed my gear loadout to the max.

That's an impressive and possibly intimidating vest :)

We wear t-shirts and if the need arises for "visibility" we have Hi-Viz vests to wear. Like any other aspect of this hobby to each their own.

I never fly without my old ghillie suit and face paint. I think it's really unprofessional to show up in my own videos.

361810576_9b6130c94d_o.jpg

I never fly without my old ghillie suit and face paint. I think it's really unprofessional to show up in my own videos.

View attachment 33043

LOL!

I absolutely HATE being seen in my videos. Some people would be amazed at some of the things I've done to not be in them while doing shots with my quads before I got the P3P. I should of had the wife video me trying to NOT be in the view finder LOL

Reactions: Fplvert
I got you now your phantom is just another pice of your Arsenal . You are a step above most of us we just travel with are birds ;)
Let us know how you work it out you do travel heavy .
Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: dirkclod
I have the Novagear large DSLR backpack that fits everything packed away (my other unmentionable bags are all my used tactical tailor gear from the army) I have already have all the shooting gear i need for the zombie outbreak but adding drones to my videography stuff has pushed my gear loadout to the max.

Now that's the first rational thing you've said ;)

When it comes to the ZA, you can never have too much gear :D

I think you are going to scare the sh!! out of anyone who sees you fly. Might get the cops called on you a few times too.
I try to blend in when I fly.

Edit: If you are a professional on a paid shoot, ignore my opinion above.
If you are a recreational flyer out just video taping for fun, consider my opinion.
:confused:

Last edited:
Does it fit an iPad Air? I'm looking for a case that will
Yes. I've packed my 15" laptop in the compartment under the bird. iPad Air could go there, or in the pouch outside. You can check all the dimensions in the link below.
YES! 5.11 Tactical is just my style! Where can I get the Coyote version? At least I can add utility pouches to the side and front!
The backpacks come in different colors. I'd check our Classifed section, or call GPC to get the one you like.
Bug Out Bag RUSH 72 Hour Backpack | Official 5.11 Site

I think you are going to scare the sh!! out of anyone who sees you fly. Might get the cops called on you a few times too.
I try to blend in when I fly.

Edit: If you are a professional on a paid shoot, ignore my opinion above.
If you are a recreational flyer out just video taping for fun, consider my opinion.
:confused:

Paid professional and I'm having morale patches made up with DRONE PILOT for the front tape and my company name and Airman Reference Number on the back. And I'd only really don my vest when I'm flying because I will need to monitor the VHF air band and my ground crew band so I'll need all the scary looking comms and I protect myself with a FAST helmet becuase I've had multiple occasions with 250 racing quads nearly take my head off and yesterday on my fixed wing training I hit myself landing too close in a very strong crosswind so I take protection seriously. I also wear kneepads coz I'm always on my knees changing batteries or dicking around with equipment.

Paid professional and I'm having morale patches made up with DRONE PILOT for the front tape and my company name and Airman Reference Number on the back. And I'd only really don my vest when I'm flying because I will need to monitor the VHF air band and my ground crew band so I'll need all the scary looking comms.
Ok, you will look a little less frightening with the patches. I know some people (a few in my cul du sac in fact) who would see you and be convinced that you were either a terrorist or you are a hero here to save us from imminent attack from terrorists. Either perception may not be the best for your business model.
But I'm sure you know what you're doing and what will meet your needs.
Good luck with your business!

Reactions: Rrotz
Yes. I've packed my 15" laptop in the compartment under the bird. iPad Air could go there, or in the pouch outside. You can check all the dimensions in the link below.

The backpacks come in different colors. I'd check our Classifed section, or call GPC to get the one you like.
Bug Out Bag RUSH 72 Hour Backpack | Official 5.11 Site

I have the covrt18 and MOAB10, my main 3 day bug out bag is a tactical tailor assault pack in MC and my daily carry is a Maxpedition Sitka. I'm a bit of a gear whore. My shooting chest rig is a SKD PIG with ceramic plates and side soft armor. My videography bag is the Novagear LG as mentioned.

I got the Condor XPCL plate carrier as mentioned in the OP as my drone pilot rig on professional jobs. I'll be getting into industrial and commercial inspections and mining/survey work soon.

I called goprofessional (they haven't arrived here in Australia yet) and ordered the limited edition in black, they don't make the TAN anymore just 511 ghost grey and black.

Is it overkill?

Reactions: Fplvert

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4