Photoes and videos at the same time?

Reaction score
The title says it all.
Is it possible to take a photo while you are recordning?

I thought it was possible, and I thought I had done it before, but now I can`t do it so maybe
I just fooled myself?

Best regards, thanks;)

You know I have the same question... I thought the older app would let you take pic and vids at the same time... but I don't remember or maybe it was a dream?

The title says it all.
Is it possible to take a photo while you are recordning?

I thought it was possible, and I thought I had done it before, but now I can`t do it so maybe
I just fooled myself?

Best regards, thanks;)
That's one of my biggest complaint on P3. When I don't want to stop video, I later capture one frame from footage, but the quality is... I think it's a spec of camera firmware, and hope improved in future.

Most times that this question comes up in the forum, the replies are that you can't take a still photo while recording video but that frame grabs from 4k video are very good. I only have a P3A, so I can't personally speak to the quality of a 4k frame grab. I can however verify that you can not take a still photo from the Phantom while recording video from the same Phantom.

Last edited:
Nothing is impossible. You can take pictures from the ground while your quad is flying. How about that Mr Impossible?

vlcsnap-2015-06-20-02h35m34s910.png
Most times that this question comes up in the forum, the replies are that you can't take a still photo while recording video but that frame grabs from 4k video are very good. I only have a P3A, so I can't personally speak to the quality of a 4k frame grab. I can however verify that you can not take a still photo while recording.

Check this out. Original still from 4K P3P.

Last edited:
While Video is rolling. Press red record button on top left shoulder of RC to Toggle Video recording STOP. Press shutter button on top right shoulder to capture a photo. Press top record button on left shoulder to resume video capture.

I know it's not as convenient as just being able to do a continuous video record and snap some pics at the same time but its a workaround.

:)

1080p 50 or 60 fps will give you a quality screen still. 4k bit more hit and miss as usually 25-30 fps sometimes get blurring

It has to do with the camera sensor being exposed and the shutter being up while the sensor is capturing the 4k video. For a photo to be captured the camera would have to close the shutter and depending on the firmware get the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (can change via the side dial, but can't directly change ISO) then capture the frame and continue in video mode. I'm not sure if a firmware update can take care of this or trick the camera in grabbing a still from the 4k video which is 12M capture and then resuming the video. ...just my understanding on what I've read.

This is really easy do a screenshot of the 1080p vid.
Quality is outstanding
Outstanding? Not really.
The still photo resolution is 4000 x 3000 pixels = 12MP
The resolution from a frame of 1080 video = 1920 x 1080 = 2MP
Then if your video card does not support 1920 x 1080, a screenshot could be less than 2MP.
OK for Facebook but not for quality photos.

It has to do with the camera sensor being exposed and the shutter being up while the sensor is capturing the 4k video. For a photo to be captured the camera would have to close the shutter and depending on the firmware get the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (can change via the side dial, but can't directly change ISO) then capture the frame and continue in video mode. I'm not sure if a firmware update can take care of this or trick the camera in grabbing a still from the 4k video which is 12M capture and then resuming the video. ...just my understanding on what I've read.
Many compact digicams (as somebody mentioned about GoPro), DSLRs with video recording function can capture one frame as still pic. Even video cameras can do. The shutter speed, ISO are the same (also aperture - but P3 has fixed aperture F2.8), in other word, one of the video frames is recorded as still.

Then, as tvckz showed, capturing one frame in the video post-processing software is the same, you may think - if the still is JPEG, it's the same. But I want JPEG+RAW recording while video shooting.
JPEG has only 8 bit depth (256 steps) of brightness for each red/green/blue. Most of the displays + our eyes cannot tell difference of brightness less than 1/256, so it's enough, but only if we don't change TONECURVE (CONTRAST/BRIGHTNESS) afterwards. For the purpose of correct contrast/brightness, or adding HDR effect, I sometimes change tonecurve. Compression is OK, but if expansion (i.e. 1/256 difference of brightness is expanded to 2/256 or more), we can observe ugly colored band at where original picture has wide plane and smoothly gradated - so called "colour banding" effect. This frequently occurs at the picture with sky. And P3 frequently takes picture with sky. :)
http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/D/399685/original/banding.jpg

This maybe solved if P3 camera can "shoot picture" or record the same one frame also as RAW (10 or more bits for each RGB) while shooting footage, the same shutter speed/ISO. And that'll be possible in future firmware, I guess.

+1

i was a bit bummed about this too since I used to do it all the time on my gopro. now i just stop the video, take a pic, and restart the video
And I forgot to restart the video couple of times in this single month... I don't know because I'm nervous while flying :) or while recording still (blue circle rotating) P3 don't accept "start video"...?
By hardware limitation P3 cannot record video/still at the same time, it's OK. Stop video, shoot still, restarting video maybe great help.

And I forgot to restart the video couple of times in this single month... I don't know because I'm nervous while flying :) or while recording still (blue circle rotating) P3 don't accept "start video"...?
By hardware limitation P3 cannot record video/still at the same time, it's OK. Stop video, shoot still, restarting video maybe great help.
You can always clip a frame of a video and covert it to a still-- if you need one and forgot to take it. I have tried this and the stills were good quality. At 30 frames per second, you have a good selection.

You can always clip a frame of a video and covert it to a still-- if you need one and forgot to take it. I have tried this and the stills were good quality. At 30 frames per second, you have a good selection.
I usually do so, if I only need JPEG quality (8+8+8 bit depth) image, in other words, don't do post processing for still pics. But as I wrote above, when I shoot wider dynamic range scene, such as dawn or sunset, I need to shoot RAW. Need to stop video, shoot stills, restart.

It has to do with the camera sensor being exposed and the shutter being up while the sensor is capturing the 4k video. For a photo to be captured the camera would have to close the shutter and depending on the firmware get the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (can change via the side dial, but can't directly change ISO) then capture the frame and continue in video mode.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these cameras, just like the GoPro, and most small digital cameras, do not have a "shutter" or curtain over the sensor. Sensor is wide open. And like the GoPro, the aperture is fixed. No moving parts in these cameras.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20