Photo Question

Reaction score
New to the Forum. I have a question for an issue I have been running into lately with some photos. I have a Phantom 3 Advance and have shot a few photos that are showing White & Blue dots in the photos. Can someone help me with this? This is probably an easy fix but they only show up with new nd filters. Polarize, ND 4 & ND 8 . All show white and blue dots in photos?

Attachments

• DJI_0079.JPG
    DJI_0079.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 571
If this was occurring without the filters, my first thought would be bad pixels in the sensor array. But since you say they are only with the filters, you could have bad filters. Not sure if dust particles would cause this or not, but try giving them a good cleaning first and see what happens.

If this was occurring without the filters, my first thought would be bad pixels in the sensor array. But since you say they are only with the filters, you could have bad filters. Not sure if dust particles would cause this or not, but try giving them a good cleaning first and see what happens.
Thanks for the response. So far I have never had the issues until I put the Filters on. I have installed the original and am about to take some more photos to make sure it is in deed the filters.

It could still be the sensor. Bad pixels sometimes (actually, mostly) will not show up until you push the sensor. So if there's plenty of light, then you see no bad pixels, but put on a filter to lengthen the exposure, you might push the sensor to produce the bad pixels.

There are no pixels on a filter, after all.

Josh, can you post the camera settings for a shot without the filter, then one with the filter that shows the bad pixels? This info is in the EXIF data of the JPGs, which you can see with some photo apps. Alternatively, if you provide links to the original files sitting on a hosting site, one of us can extract the data.

The setting most likely relative to bad pixels would be ISO, and I would expect a bad-pixel image to have a much higher number than the image without bad pixels. If not, then I'm at a loss.

Jumping ahead: if it is bad pixels at high ISO, then it is likely that you have a bad sensor in the camera and in my mind, this is a good case for a warranty repair (replace the camera).

Chris

Chris,Thanks for the input. Sounds like you know more about photography than I know period! I am going to go take some shots without the filter and with all filters and compare. I will post the settings and photos as soon as I can. I appreciate the help man!

Well I am beginning to think I have done something when I changed over these filters. I honestly am at a loss. I am no photographer I just want to go out and take simple pictures, edit them and enjoy myself. So I took some shots downtown where I live yesterday and all were taken without the filters on, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to switch them out. Now every single photo sill show these lines, some worse than others but nonetheless in every photo you will see this. I honestly don't understand. I will attach photos and let you guys look. I will also attach what my settings were from my drone.
Single Shot
Size - 4:3
Format - J-Peg
White Balance - Custom 5000
Style -2 , -3 , -2
Color - D Log

Chris I don't know if you need some more info or not but if you do I will get it to you.One thing I have noticed is in the videos this thing does take it shows these same lines bouncing up and down all over the place as it moves and records the scene, sort of like Moire, but not exactly. When I figure out how to upload a video ill put one up I think that may help with figuring a solution.

This has not happened in the 7 months I have been using this drone and now no matter what it is happening in all photos.

Attachments

• DJI_0184.JPG
    DJI_0184.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 394
  • DJI_0192.JPG
    DJI_0192.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 402
  • DJI_0194.JPG
    DJI_0194.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 387
  • DJI_0196.JPG
    DJI_0196.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 387
  • DJI_0208.JPG
    DJI_0208.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 321
Are your filters and lenses clean? This is the first doubt I have.

Take few pictures in absolutely dark environment keeping the same settings and check the picture quality for white dots in the same area.

I have no clue what this is, but I do have a question. If this were bad pixels on the sensor, wouldn't the pattern be the same in every picture? Zooming in on each shot, the pattern appears different in each. Granted, I'm looking at them on an iPhone screen, but I would expect to see the spots in the same location relative to the frame. Again, no idea of the cause but I am curious. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have no clue what this is, but I do have a question. If this were bad pixels on the sensor, wouldn't the pattern be the same in every picture? Zooming in on each shot, the pattern appears different in each. Granted, I'm looking at them on an iPhone screen, but I would expect to see the spots in the same location relative to the frame. Again, no idea of the cause but I am curious. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes that's why I had said check for white spots in the same area ( of frame)

Reactions: EddieM
Are your filters and lenses clean? This is the first doubt I have.

Take few pictures in absolutely dark environment keeping the same settings and check the picture quality for white dots in the same area.
I made sure to clean my lense before flight, so to me I thought it was spotless. I will take some photos in a dark setting and see what they look like.
I have noticed that they are never in the same area of the pictures (from what I can tell) I know in videos they are everywhere and bounce up and down.
I am going to upload a video and let you see what it looks like.

Thanks for the help.

Well I have went back through some past trips with my drone and it started before I had the ND Filters, it was so minimal I never noticed it though. I mean like some photos had a few white dots in a small area. Then on a video it had quite a bit I just never watched it. So it appears like it is getting worse for some reason.

This may be a stupid question but how do I upload a video, I really think that will help show what it is doin when I record a video cause it shows up everywhere.

Ok so I am trying everything I know to do right now. So I changed my memory card in the drone back to the one it came with. I took some photos and lots of videos. In the photos now there is no white or blue dots but when you zoom into the photos there are black line that show up all over the place.

Ill post a picture to show what I mean. You may have to coom in to see them but they are there, some pics worse than others.

Attachments

• DJI_0020.JPG
    DJI_0020.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 386
Is your o-ring still present? It looks like dust on the actual lens. The dust could me moving in flight due to air getting in or, if this is possible, a static charge causing the dust to move and group.... I have no clue, just throwing out some thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is your o-ring still present? It looks like dust on the actual lens. The dust could me moving in flight due to air getting in or, if this is possible, a static charge causing the dust to move and group.... I have no clue, just throwing out some thoughts.

All thoughts/ideas are welcome my friend. I am a Noob at this and have been trying everything I can to find some results. I know that sometimes it is really bad other times it is minimal. Do you know how to upload a video on here?

But yes my o-ring is still on there.

Last edited:
Just a shot in the dark but have you tried DJI_DNG_Cleaner with the offending images?

I guess it should zero bad pixels caused by the camera sensor? Do you have .dng raw files or only .jpg?

Should the o-ring be removed to have the actual lens exposed? Still new to my P3P...

Just a shot in the dark but have you tried DJI_DNG_Cleaner with the offending images?

I guess it should zero bad pixels caused by the camera sensor? Do you have .dng raw files or only .jpg?

Usually I have shot in Jpeg and not Raw. But the other day I shot some in DNG. After I ran through it was still the same.

Ok so I am trying everything I know to do right now. So I changed my memory card in the drone back to the one it came with. I took some photos and lots of videos. In the photos now there is no white or blue dots but when you zoom into the photos there are black line that show up all over the place.

Ill post a picture to show what I mean. You may have to coom in to see them but they are there, some pics worse than others.

Sorry, with respect to the other posters, this doesn't look like dust to me at all. I don't know what it is, a bad sensor or perhaps mold in the system much closer to the sensor than the filter; but I would send it in for inspection, especially if you are still under warranty.

If you open an RMA with DJI on this, I would mention that you found that the problem has existed for awhile (evidence of it being on older shots that you just recently discovered it on).

As for posting a video, you have to host it somewhere else. I pay a yearly fee to be a member of a hosting site, which I could upload to and then post a link here. There may be free hosting sites, but someone else would have to chime in about those.

Chris

Sorry, with respect to the other posters, this doesn't look like dust to me at all. I don't know what it is, a bad sensor or perhaps mold in the system much closer to the sensor than the filter; but I would send it in for inspection, especially if you are still under warranty.

If you open an RMA with DJI on this, I would mention that you found that the problem has existed for awhile (evidence of it being on older shots that you just recently discovered it on).

As for posting a video, you have to host it somewhere else. I pay a yearly fee to be a member of a hosting site, which I could upload to and then post a link here. There may be free hosting sites, but someone else would have to chime in about those.

Chris

I agree Chris, but I am open to all suggestions. I am going to try and figure out how to get a video so it can be viewed because it is crazy what it looks like when I shoot videos.

I mean it looks like dancing blue and white lines all over the place. I have noticed it is the worst around trees, roof tops, the sides of houses,/buildings.

Here goes. I don't know if you guys will be able to view. I watched it and it is so faint in the video but I think you will catch what I am seeing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik