Photo op disappointment.

Reaction score
So Thursday I went to a local parachute center and talked to the site operator about doing some video. He was cool about it and even said his video guy has a similar unit. So this morning I got all set up, charged, extra blades and off I went. Was there for about 30 min had quite the crowd everyone was having a good time, then it happened. That one guy, the one we all fear. He came up to me and ask, are you a skydiver, I say no I'm a pilot, I fly drones. He lost it, said you can't fly here, no one wants those in the sky your invading our space you need to leave. I told the guy that I had authorization from the site leader, but he did not care.

Well, not wanting any bad mojo and wanting to be able to return in the future, landed my pv2, wrapped everything up thanked the jump center and left.

I have two questions,

1. What would you have done?
2. Do you think they will ever be the norm as the cell phone has become?

I have never been skydiving, but to be honest if I did I sure wouldn't want quads flying around my landing zone. Hate you missed your OP though.

tizzl10 said:
I have never been skydiving, but to be honest if I did I sure wouldn't want quads flying around my landing zone. Hate you missed your OP though.

I am a skydiver and a phantom pilot
I would not for any reason want a phantom in the air were I am flying my parachute
Im moving at 25 -55 mph forward and even faster downward last thing I want coming out of a turn is
a 2 pound phantom with whirling blades in my path.This could not just be a injury but at those speeds could mean death
I know we all have the best intentions but skydivers come into the landing area from every direction and are all fast movers.
Some are very aware others not so much but either way I can tell you it would be darn hard to see and dangerous to avoid

I agree. Usually jumpers at an air show won't even exit the plane before all other aircraft (other than the jump plane) have LANDED and ALL props have stopped turning.

Safety, safety, safety.

FSJ Guy said:
I agree. Usually jumpers at an air show won't even exit the plane before all other aircraft (other than the jump plane) have LANDED and ALL props have stopped turning.

Safety, safety, safety.

I get that, and yes I am ALL for safety, but the guy that does the video for the jumpsite also flys a UAV and does so at the location. They where ok we me doing such. This was a random jumper.

I've done a few jumps and I'm a phantom owner too and while I can understand the want to get nice shots at a jump centre I cant understand why anyone in their right mind would have given you permission to fly there? Would they give permission for you to bring a lawn mower and hold it up in the air with the blades spinning? Parachutists, novices or experts can miss their landing zone and the last thing you want to see while struggling to to get a safe landing is four 9" blades coming at me at speed. I can fully understand "THAT" guys reaction as I probably would have reacted the same and if that centre actually let their camera guy fly a quad there I think they should be reported for safety issues, incompetence and for being down right dumb assholes.

"your invading our space you need to leave" ??? ... from what you have described, i think this was more about his **** size promotional methods than anyone elses safety ..... you might have taken away the attention he seeks, having been there flying a cool camera. FFS sake these things are very controllable and are hardly a huge "out of control" flying hazard especially given the size of the SKY and the small footprint it occupies .... :roll:

Do these guys SHOOT all the birds down that fly in the sky each day before they jump too ... LOL ????

GMANNZ said:
"your invading our space you need to leave" ??? ... from what you have described, i think this was more about his **** size promotional methods than anyone elses safety ..... you might have taken away the attention he seeks, having been there flying a cool camera. FFS sake these things are very controllable and are hardly a huge "out of control" flying hazard especially given the size of the SKY and the small footprint it occupies .... :roll:

Do these guys SHOOT all the birds down that fly in the sky each day before they jump too ... LOL ????

If you cant see the obvious dangers here I'm afraid there is serious legislation needed for irresponsible pilots like yourself that are going to give us a very bad name. Jump onto all four of your phantoms blades while they have full throttle and tell me how harmless it is. Its a jump centre and it is their space and if you pose a serious risk to life and cant see that, they have every right to tell you to leave. Even though the phantom is very controlable parachutes sometimes may not be.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub