Phone died mid-flight then crash: Lessons to learn!

Yes. Without a device you are still able to fly as long as your RC has connection. RTH will still work. Just make sure that you keep it in sight. (LOS)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes. Without a device you are still able to fly as long as your RC has connection. RTH will still work. Just make sure that you keep it in sight. (LOS)

You are "supposed" to be keeping it LOS anyway. Technically.

For those of us using an android phone - yes the RC charges it (does for a nexus 5, oneplusone and samsung tablet). For those using I-crap, I dont think apple allows it to charge from RC.
I crap that has a very good connection with DJI... The box is covered in apple advertisement. Won't surprise me if DJI make android phones work less effectively with the equipment so it makes people buy Apple devices.

Plus these devices are designed with videography and photography in mind and well Macs are what the industry use.

the actual lesson here is to practice for all the situations imaginable so if somthing happens you know what to do to bring your bird home. Learn how to fly it.

I've had DJI GO and Litchi crash during flight and no dramas with RTH activated on remote as well as reopening app and reconnecting mid air on another occasion. I've opened up the SD card and it looks like the data didn't get written. I pulled apart the Gimbal and the yaw arm has bent up into the circuit board and damaged it. The gimbal does not power up so the idea of inserting it to recover the data isn't going to work.

Reactions: lonjsnyder
Thanks champ, very insightful.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound crass. I just think the best practice is to learn how to fly when things go wrong. Some excercises I used were:

Take it out 500 feet turn off the transmitter - auto land
Take it out 500 feet turn off the transmitter - reconnect - cancel RTH - land

Take it out 500 feet turn off the tablet - manually land

Take it out to the limits of VLOS and fly it back using telemetry only - manual land

Then I watched and practiced orienting the copter at distance using the technique in this video..

So hope that was helpful.. didn't mean to be an a$$!

I fly mostly on open fields and if something goes wrong I go to HomeLock mode and pull right lever back and wait for it to arrive.

Does P3 take Intelligent Orientation automaticaly on start so je knows what is front and back in IOC mode or like on P2 I need to pull some trigger ?

I fly mostly on open fields and if something goes wrong I go to HomeLock mode and pull right lever back and wait for it to arrive.

Does P3 take Intelligent Orientation automaticaly on start so je knows what is front and back in IOC mode or like on P2 I need to pull some trigger ?
You wouldn't be able to do that if you lost the phone / tablet. How would you engage IOC without the screen command? The old P1 and P2 had a switch.And I used home lock plenty!

Oh, I thought that it remembers last used F option. I am used to P2, got my P3A yesterday so bear with me :)

Hey All, so this is my first crash after 6 months of owning and using almost daily.

Today my phone ran out of batteries mid flight, the P3A was only 10m away as I knew the phone would die. But I kept flying as I was only at 60% of P3A battery and I had taken off and gone for short test flights without being hooked up to a phone/tablet before. Dumb thing was I pushed the P3A to its extremes as I had always been a filmer so no drastic manurers ever and so now without vision I though what the heck.

During a very tight turn at maximum controller yaw + forward & Left the P3A simply rolled too far then plummeted to the ground from maybe 8m height. The result is a destroyed gimbal but very surprisingly nothing else not even a broken prop, still flies just fine w/o gimbal and just ordered a new one.

Some things that I hadn't expected when the phone died was that
- Camera has stopped recording even tho it was recording previously so no awesome video to upload to YouTube boohoo!
- All flight data stopped recording so I've got nothing to look back at and asses where exactly it when bad.

Lessons
- its not a stunt drone stay away from the extremes
- Just go home if you run out of batteries on the phone/tablet

Funny how these UAVs can be so very stable when used properly but put them into the hands of a twat and they fall out of the skies :)

If you want flight log details you will need to download the DAT file from the A/C. The process is basic. Power everything up as if you were going to fly. Get everything to the point as if you were ready to start the motors. Then open app menu to MC Settings/Advanced Settings/Enter flight data mode/. Power down A/C and Connect the usb port on front of A/C to your pc and Power A/C again. Now select "OK" (2 times) from popup box from the app(the a/c will display audible beeps throughout this process). A box will appear on pc where you select to "view files folder". This will display all DAT flight log files. From the list your Last flight will appear with today's date of accessing the files. From this list download the Largest files size with the most recent date. Once downloaded you can place in your public folder in Dropbox and paste the address link in this thread. done.

At this point I will upload the file and 1st convert it to a CSV format to be viewed using Excel. I will take screen shots of the redflag data and post them in this thread.

when you say too much roll and flying "extreme", I worry you did a CSC. Majority of the "drone fell out of the sky" crashes turn out to be a CSC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik