Phoenix Arizona area.

I fly in the desert when I can get out and over my yard to practice. Want to get out to some sights to video. Found some canyons outside Superior that are nice.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I fly in the desert when I can get out and over my yard to practice. Want to get out to some sights to video. Found some canyons outside Superior that are nice.

I was out at queen valley a few weeks ago and stop by the south side of the superstitions.

Last edited:
Nice clear shots, what video software did you use?

I have been involved in Radio Controlled sports since 1970. Actually started off with control line then did some fixed wing then international high speed model boat racing.
On Fathers Day this year my daughter bought me a drone and x5c that I really liked. So much so that I decided to buy a Phantom 3 Advance.
Today is the first day that I have flown it and did so in my backyard.
The flights went really well and I am amazed by the Phantom.
Now I want to move out of my backyard and do some more flying that utilizes the features provided by the Phantom. I believe that we should follow the rules laid down by authorities otherwise it gives people that have similar interests a bad reputation and makes authorities put more restrictions in place. So I started looking around and in Fountain Hills where I live all the parks have ordinances that say "NO DRONES". So then I started looking at other possibilities like some of the Phoenix parks and although they don't say "NO DRONES" they do say No engine powered models or toys. I have sent them an e-mail to clarify what this means.
I have registered with the FAA and have joined the AMA to get the $1 million insurance.
So bottomline is "Where can I fly?"
I am interested in hearing what ideas people come up with. Remember the places that are offered up need to not break any rules :)

Thanks All

Check out State Trust Land. There is some off the 303 and Happy Valley I fly on all the time as well as BLM land North of Morristown on the Little San Domingo area. Wide open spaces there and plenty of mountains to practice on. Just need to get a State Trust Land permit for $15. Have to have that just be on STL

I have been involved in Radio Controlled sports since 1970. Actually started off with control line then did some fixed wing then international high speed model boat racing.
On Fathers Day this year my daughter bought me a drone and x5c that I really liked. So much so that I decided to buy a Phantom 3 Advance.
Today is the first day that I have flown it and did so in my backyard.
The flights went really well and I am amazed by the Phantom.
Now I want to move out of my backyard and do some more flying that utilizes the features provided by the Phantom. I believe that we should follow the rules laid down by authorities otherwise it gives people that have similar interests a bad reputation and makes authorities put more restrictions in place. So I started looking around and in Fountain Hills where I live all the parks have ordinances that say "NO DRONES". So then I started looking at other possibilities like some of the Phoenix parks and although they don't say "NO DRONES" they do say No engine powered models or toys. I have sent them an e-mail to clarify what this means.
I have registered with the FAA and have joined the AMA to get the $1 million insurance.
So bottomline is "Where can I fly?"
I am interested in hearing what ideas people come up with. Remember the places that are offered up need to not break any rules :)

Thanks All
Hello and welcome to the forum . I live in Chandler, along with other friends we have gone out by Sugar loaf mtns. Or Four peaks. We had not any problems flying out ther besides the heat.

Check out State Trust Land. There is some off the 303 and Happy Valley I fly on all the time as well as BLM land North of Morristown on the Little San Domingo area. Wide open spaces there and plenty of mountains to practice on. Just need to get a State Trust Land permit for $15. Have to have that just be on STL

Great Idea I will check it out

Hello and welcome to the forum . I live in Chandler, along with other friends we have gone out by Sugar loaf mtns. Or Four peaks. We had not any problems flying out ther besides the heat.

Great ideas. Speaking of Four Peaks here is a picture I just took with the Drone. Looks like some weather coming in.

DJI_0009.JPG

Reactions: phxbird57
I have a P2 V+ and a Phantom 3a like yours. you can get a real good signal and range out there. I've been flying my P2v+ out there and breaking all my record of distance. Just one word of warning cell signal is bad. So if you like flying with google map. make sure to have it loaded before you head out. It some what freaked us out the first time. Not seeing the map. You still have compress & GPS. Watch the temperature. Start an account at healthy Drone and so you can down load the data and see what your temp is on the battery and other info. I just do the free version or you can buy the membership.

I have a P2 V+ and a Phantom 3a like yours. you can get a real good signal and range out there. I've been flying my P2v+ out there and breaking all my record of distance. Just one word of warning cell signal is bad. So if you like flying with google map. make sure to have it loaded before you head out. It some what freaked us out the first time. Not seeing the map. You still have compress & GPS. Watch the temperature. Start an account at healthy Drone and so you can down load the data and see what your temp is on the battery and other info. I just do the free version or you can buy the membership.

Amazing.

Now how do you get the P3A to play music like that :)

One problem I have had is the iPad overheats after about 15 minutes. Well I guess it was 108 outside :)

The motors do seem a little warm after a 15 minute run.

Have you ever sent the P3A out about a mile or so then pressed the home button to get it back?

Also I have been landing on the dirt in my backyard is that not a good idea? Should I be landing on a wood panel or something to avoid dust being blown up by the props and getting into the gimbals and motors?

Thanks this stuff is great

Amazing.

Now how do you get the P3A to play music like that :)

One problem I have had is the iPad overheats after about 15 minutes. Well I guess it was 108 outside :)

The motors do seem a little warm after a 15 minute run.

Have you ever sent the P3A out about a mile or so then pressed the home button to get it back?

Also I have been landing on the dirt in my backyard is that not a good idea? Should I be landing on a wood panel or something to avoid dust being blown up by the props and getting into the gimbals and motors?

Thanks this stuff is great
We were out about 2 weeks ago and my brother had the same problem with his ipad.
Music is add after ward though my video software.
I've been hand catching lately but had landed on the dirt. get a can of air and blow the dust out of the motors. We also use a 2 1/2 ft square sheet of cardboard to take off and land.
as for the P3a ,
You can do the math. With full controller.
I have used the RTH. more on my P2V+this is my P2v+ I edited to show in B/W and the waves in the video was from a prop out of balance. these was a record for my P2v+ 9000 ft. With still full control just was losing my video. It would fly 300 to 400 before update I was was getting in the hills.

We were out about 2 weeks ago and my brother had the same problem with his ipad.
Music is add after ward though my video software.
I've been hand catching lately but had landed on the dirt. get a can of air and blow the dust out of the motors. We also use a 2 1/2 ft square sheet of cardboard to take off and land.
as for the P3a ,
You can do the math. With full controller.
I have used the RTH. more on my P2V+this is my P2v+ I edited to show in B/W and the waves in the video was from a prop out of balance. these was a record for my P2v+ 9000 ft. With still full control just was losing my video. It would fly 300 to 400 before update I was was getting in the hills.

Very cool long flights.
I guess with the new line of sight rule from the FAA these would be out of the question now.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Just ran across this thread. I'm out in the east valley. Been flying for about 2 months with a P4.
Have some of my flights at

Gary Oglesby

Just ran across this thread. I'm out in the east valley. Been flying for about 2 months with a P4.
Have some of my flights at

Gary Oglesby
Welcome Gary
Looks like you have flown allot of places I have also. A friend of mine and I did Fountain Hills a few times. someone said it's posted that you can't fly there any more I'm not sure. You need to go south of Chandler and fly over the Gila Bend memorial airport. It's closed down now

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4