Phinal Phight of my Fantom

Reaction score
Well I knew my GPS was not working but I HAD to fly anyway. Well I guess the wind wanted it more than me as I watchedFC40 fly off into the sunset>>>>>>>>> Glad my 450 will be here next week. If anybody has a Phantom 1.1.1 I for sale I want one, also have the Tx for my FC40 that I don't need anymore>

Sorry to hear that. Some kid will flip when he finds it.

I took mine out this weekend to a rural location 2200 feet higher than normal, about 120 miles away. Very rocky hills.

It acquired sats very quickly and I did the compass dance. Everything from there was "downhill" no pun. It was a bit gutsy, but Ive flown in similar winds no problem. It wobbled a lot, wanted to to fly into a tree on its own. I could blame the wind I guess.
But I also have to wonder if this super rocky terrain may have had some odd magnetics. Who know whats under these hills and they are actually ridges next to 350 foot drop canyons...

I wanted to ask, what role does the compass actually play when the quad uses sats to get its bearings? Does the compass just complete the whole orientation scheme?

You don't have to compass dance a handheld GPS or IPhone, and they know North from South.

wow that sucks to hear. Should not of flown if you didnt get a gps lock. But 2014fc40 if you check your s2 and s1 switches with a multi meter. You might find the real cause of the fly away. and erratic flight. if your s1 switch fails and most of the switches seem to fail in real short time it will go in to atti mode on its own even when you want it to be and think its in gps mode and will ride the wind and also depending on how bad the switch is will also not let you put it in to fail safe mode in less it goes out of range and going in to it on its own or turning off the transmitter.

on the other hand if the s2 fails it can cause it to turn cl or hl on and off repeatedly and thats the same as manually rerecording a new home point and if in flight it can make it think its suppoed to land were ever the last spot was that it got rerecorded to think is home.

I put some of those switches you posted a link to. Man, those are some BIG switches. :D

I installed them next to where the original switches were, closer to the center.

I installed them next to where the original switches were, closer to the center.

In retrospect now I wish i had put them in closer to the center so they would of fit instead of putting them in the old holes and having to place them at a angle. At the time I didn't want to have new holes and also the old ones open in case I ever for some silly reason wanted to put it back to original condition. But lol that idea is shot now being I sence have put a hole on the front to mount an antenna rather then hack off the end of were the antenna normally came out then changed my mind when I didn't like it coming out the face of the controller. and so I went and moved it to top and filled in the hole with hot glue and now also have a charging port to plug in to to recharge my battery's with out having to take them out of the tx. So now its not like it would matter if I had moved the switches in some. So they fit better and are up and down again. At this point its already a franking-miter any way.

Are these some super switches? I'd like to see the link.

I hate buying cheapo Rat Shack components.

Are these some super switches? I'd like to see the link.

The ones I used were just some off the shelf 3 position center off single pole toggles from the hardware store all radio shack had were the same crappy ones that came out of the controller and I didnt want to have to replace them again in anther few weeks. The ones I got at the hardware store are big *** huge clunky switches compared to the sub mini ones that were in it already. But they are sort of like these ones ------> http://www.parts-express.com/spdt-heavy ... f--060-562
which I normally use for other projects and usually have a few on hand but was all out and didn't want to wait for a mail order to arrive. But I think the ones from parts express are a tiny big smaller physically then the ones I picked up at the hardware store and might fit in the case better. The also have smaller diameter post to so the holes should not have to be drilled out bigger either. Or if any thing just maybe reamed out a tiny bit. The ones that are in it originally use that top cone nut as a spacer to fit the mini switchs tiny post in the hole So with out the spacer nut they should just fit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub