Phenom3030's Phantom 2 v2.0

Reaction score
Hi all, figured I'd start a thread about my Phantom and its modifications. As a member of a few car forums, I feel these types of threads help others, either with seeing how others do mods or just keeping an overall log of your vehicle. Or in this case our Phantoms.
I'd encourage others to start their own "build threads" if you have any mods you'd like to share. :D

So here's my Phantom 2's stats:

-Phantom 2 v2.0 with H3-3D gimbal bundle
-GoPro Hero 3 Black
-Polar Pro ND filter
-Flytrex Live 3G
-Flytrex Live 3g Fusion Imaging mount
-Taoglas 4mm GPS antenna upgrade (Part # GP.1575.25.4.A.02)

FPV set up:
-ImmersionRC 600mw Tx
-DJI iOSD mini
-PnP cable for iOSD and ImmersionRC Tx
-Black Pearl 7 channel diversity monitor
-ExtremeUAS monitor mount

Current weight is:
Phantom%2B2%2B-%2B1

Supposedly the 2312 960kv motors have a 200g increased max payload per motor. In all the specs and descriptions for the Phantom 2 they all list a max take off weight of <1300g. But with 200g increase per motor, the Phantom 2 v2.0 (or v3 for Vision) supposedly would have a max take off weight of 2100g? Can anyone confirm or link to where that info is listed for the new Phantom versions?

For those curious about the Fusion Imaging Flytrex mount weight:
Phantom%2B2%2B-%2B4

My controller set up:
15%2B-%2B1

MCM Electronics 22 inch black tactical case

MCM Electronics 22 inch black tactical case

Bought this case for about $50 on Amazon to transport my Phantom and gear after reading a few reviews from others saying it was a good, cheaply priced case.

I think its of pretty good quality. It has 3 layers of foam, but only one of which is pick a part style. The lid includes a single layer of egg crate style. My issue with the case is I wish it came with 3 layers of pick a part vs the one. Cutting the other two layers with a new adjustable length box cutter blade was tedious and time consuming. It also left a lot of foam "lint" that stuck to everything.
My other issue is that I'm not a huge fan of the interior dimensions. After reading a few other reviews and even MCM's website shows a photo of a Phantom in this case, I think it is a very close cut for fit. I have to put some pressure on the lid to get it to close the last few inches.

15%2B-%2B1

15%2B-%2B2

So with that said, I have a GoProfessional case on the way. :\ Regretfully I should have used the $50 I spent on this case for the GoProfessional one.

GoProfessional case

spudraleigh said:
Thanks!

ianwood said:
I'm guessing that is your take off weight? What are you carrying on yours?

DJIquadzilla said:
Sweet setup bro :)
Thanks! I'd be interested in seeing a build thread for yours. I see you've added leds to your Phantom. :D

I received my GoProfessional case today. It is a high quality piece to add to your line of Phantom gear! Definitely like it more than the MCM case. Everything fits so nicely!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 875
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 745
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 767
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 775
Re: GoProfessional case

phenom3030 said:
spudraleigh said:
Thanks!

ianwood said:
I'm guessing that is your take off weight? What are you carrying on yours?

DJIquadzilla said:
Sweet setup bro :)
Thanks! I'd be interested in seeing a build thread for yours. I see you've added leds to your Phantom. :D

I received my GoProfessional case today. It is a high quality piece to add your line of Phantom gear! Definitely like it more than the MCM case. Everything fits nicely!

I will see if I can get the pics together and make one :) the led setup was really easy and I chose just to use a 9v supply and not tap into the battery power.

Internal ImmersionRC Transmitter install

Here's a few photos of my internal ImmersionRC 600mw Tx install.
(Inspired by member travel_adam on another thread. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32083#p294443)

Ordered a SMA male to female extension from Amazon for about $5.
15%2B-%2B1

So now the only things on the outside are the gimbal, Flytrex and antenna
15%2B-%2B2

More of these wires coming from the Live 3G will get cleaned up when I receive Flytrex's new CAN-BUS adapter. Leaving only the tiny harness with with orange and red wire.
15%2B-%2B3

Re: Internal ImmersionRC Transmitter install

phenom3030 said:
So now the only things on the outside are the gimbal, Flytrex and antenna
15%2B-%2B2

More of these wires coming from the Live 3G will get cleaned up when I receive Flytrex's new CAN-BUS adapter. Leaving only the tiny harness with with orange and red wire.
15%2B-%2B3

Hey... how is your video signal quality with the antenna there next to the leg. How much does the gimbal/gopro block the signal when flying towards you. The antenna looks nice and and sturdy there. I am looking for the best way to mount antenna. thanks.

Re: Internal ImmersionRC Transmitter install

mendezl said:
Hey... how is your video signal quality with the antenna there next to the leg. How much does the gimbal/gopro block the signal when flying towards you. The antenna looks nice and and sturdy there. I am looking for the best way to mount antenna. thanks.

I'm trying out a different set of antennas right now, picked up a set of blue beam whip's and 5 turn helical (old stock) from Stone Blue Airlines and was receiving some video break up erratically. And a lot closer than the 900m I was able to gain with the stock rubber duck antennas... Next time I fly I think I'll throw on the stock whips and see how they do.
My antenna as generally been placed within the area of the landing gear and i was able to get 900+ meters, so I'd say I get good signal quality.

So I got a custom skin for my Phantom. Purchased from Roc City Design after I noticed a post on one of the FB groups. The skin seems pretty quality. Though it is a bit difficult to apply, I couldn't get away with a few creases. But overall I like the look. I'd recommend Roc City Design, except the customer service was unsatisfactory.

First issue: Requested payment as a gift via paypal. It was only $24 and his website said it was a veteran owned business (Navy emblem) so I figured I'd take the risk. I paid on 19DEC.

Second issue: Informed me Sunday the 21st that he would be emailing me a design proof on Monday the 22nd. Late on the 22nd he says he can't find my order and email. Then tells me that he found it and would start the design and email it tomorrow (the 23rd) Keep in mind this was late on the 22nd. I remind him that he said he would send the design the 22nd. Momentarily I get the design via email...

Third issue: Never communicates the order status or that it has shipped, etc.

Fourth issue: I tell him numerous times that I am in Colorado. He asks for my address on 30DEC. I thought it was part of the paypal transaction but I guess it wasn't so I provide my address.
No contact from him until I inquire on 06JAN. He replies saying my FPO APO address is holding the package up. I reply stating I don't have an FPO address, and remind him just a few messages prior that I gave him my Colorado address. Then he replies that "Wherever ur SHIPPING ADDY was on ur payment from paypal is where my wife mailed it my friend". I reply to him saying that address on paypal is the CO address. Then I ask why would he ask for my paypal address but not use it. His response does not address that question and just says he will send tracking that evening. He also goes on to say that he just wanted me to know and sure. So I send him a screen shot of paypal showing my CO address. He replies, "Great Great i will send track this evening."
He sends a picture of the USPS tracking info 6 hours later. And I ended up receiving it on the 6th.

So... I like the skin. But the service was sub par.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 462
LiLPhantom said:
Scary @ 1400 grams! Thats a tank...

It is on the heftier side! Supposedly the 2312 motors have a 200g increased max payload capacity. Which would bring the v2.0's to a 2100g max take off weight vs the previous 1300g. Not sure if thats completely accurate though since I havent seen anything in DJI advertising about the max weight beside the 1300g or the increased 200g for the 2312.

I'll be grounding my Phantom for now though, just discovered I have the ESC's that don't have a version number on them but do have the 2312 motors... I used the Report a problem form on the DJI Support page today so I'm waiting for a response.

Bummer if I have to return it for warranty work, I'll have to remove the add on's and hopefully can salvage the skin to reapply later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1