Phanton Vision does not have a gimbal?

Reaction score
I'm new to flying but have been reading whatever I can get my hands on. Lots of strong opinions on the internet, many of which contradict each other.

Everywhere I read how important it is to have a gimbal to prevent jello-ing.

Then I read the New Vision doesn't have a gimbal?? Why not? Does it still take good video?

Thanks for any help.

Level43 said:
I'm new to flying but have been reading whatever I can get my hands on. Lots of strong opinions on the internet, many of which contradict each other.

Everywhere I read how important it is to have a gimbal to prevent jello-ing.

Then I read the New Vision doesn't have a gimbal?? Why not? Does it still take good video?

Thanks for any help.
It has a gimbal, but just a 1D one that only stabilizes the camera in the vertical axis, not side-to-side like a 2D. Opinions vary widely about the video quality, but a 2D gimbal should always give smoother video than a 1D.

It has what is basically a one-axis gimbal (pitch only). Zemuse and most Phantom-ready gimbals are 2 axis (pitch and roll), which is where the benefits of having a gimbal start to pay off.

The Phantom Vision is a collection of compromises in many areas, for the benefit of providing a single end-to-end solution.

I brought a PV and don't regret it. Yes a two axis gimbal would be awesome but you have to appreciate what the vison does have imparted to other options rather than what it hasn't. Straight out of the box you have the latest Phantom (stable, great battery life, new props, NazaM imu with IOC), you also have a pretty good camera (ok it's not a hero 3 but it's pretty good for stills and ok for fun non serious video). It also has a build in telemetry and on-screen display. Finally if that is not enough to convince you, it sounds like DJI are releasing a firmware update to allow waypoint flight control which would cost you in additional hardware for other models.
So, IMO I think the PV is the most cost efficient FPV multi you can buy when considering its good attributes. Yes, upgrade the gimbal if you want to capture stable video (rotorpixle and dronexpert make vision camera gimbals). If your after high quality (hero 3 standard 4k video) then don't buy the PV, instead buy the P2 and gimbal, telemetry and osd, oh - and of course the $400 camera....

i tell ya... i wish the january announcement was about an advancement in the vision gimbal... i would by that sucker in a heart beat if it had a great gimbal because the wifi / smart phone is ingenius!! maybe the january announcement will be a wifi option via the gopro for the phantom 2? we can all dream!

cc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj