Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantoms on Southwest Airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill S, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Bill S

I want to restart this thread in light of recent FAA rule changes. Has anyone flown SW with a Phantom in a secure travel case that was checked baggage? I am flying cross country (USA) next month. Batteries will be in LiPo bags inside the Pelican case. Thx.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

All batteries must be transported in your carry-on bag. If they are not inside of a case that includes individual battery compartments, you'll need to ensure the battery terminals are covered with something.

3. Fplvert

I've flown on South West, United, and Alaska with a carry-on Phantom in my backpack. I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with my cameras.

No lipos are allowed in checked luggage unless they are installed in the device.

4. Reginald Thomas

This is great info. I'll be flying SW to Phoenix with my Phantom in a back
    Pack as a carry on. Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. RocketBrew

Passenger Removed from Southwest Airlines
    According to his video posted to YouTube, Smith was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight on April 21st, 2016 because his carry-on bag contained a DJI Phantom and its lithium-ion polymer (LiPo) batteries.

6. maxis

All rest assured, I fly SWA EVERY week twice. I always carry Maxis in a hardshell carry on. Never an issue.

7. tcope

However.... and this is a BIG however, Southwest admitted that it was a mistake and made sure he made a follow up flight.

So this video does not state you cannot fly with drone batteries, it only explains that airlines sometimes make a mistake.

I'd also mention that I lot of devices that people carry on everyday (laptops, tablets, chainsaws, etc) have lipo batteries. Those people are let on all of the time. I think the pilot was confused about the size of these batteries (and perhaps ill-informed).

8. captainmilehigh

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

9. maxis

Flying every week to and from various places I wanted to be sure I could bring my drone. I called TSA there explanation is as follows on Li bats: Li batteries should be "carry on" only so the flight crew has access, should something occur. A lone battery should be kept in the drone itself and extras should be charged, terminals covered and secured during flight. I have flown with my drone dozens of times and never had an issue.

Reginald Thomas likes this.
  10. Reginald Thomas

I've flown Southwest on many occasions with my Phantom as a carry on and never experienced any issues with TSA nor Southwest. Of course I prepared it as prescribed by TSA. I always download and printout the latest TSA carry on (Lipo Batttery) procedures to take with me in the event TSA officials raise any questions .