Phantoms on Southwest Airlines

Reaction score
I want to restart this thread in light of recent FAA rule changes. Has anyone flown SW with a Phantom in a secure travel case that was checked baggage? I am flying cross country (USA) next month. Batteries will be in LiPo bags inside the Pelican case. Thx.

All batteries must be transported in your carry-on bag. If they are not inside of a case that includes individual battery compartments, you'll need to ensure the battery terminals are covered with something.

I want to restart this thread in light of recent FAA rule changes. Has anyone flown SW with a Phantom in a secure travel case that was checked baggage? I am flying cross country (USA) next month. Batteries will be in LiPo bags inside the Pelican case. Thx.
I've flown on South West, United, and Alaska with a carry-on Phantom in my backpack. I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with my cameras.

No lipos are allowed in checked luggage unless they are installed in the device.

This is great info. I'll be flying SW to Phoenix with my Phantom in a back
Pack as a carry on. Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

All rest assured, I fly SWA EVERY week twice. I always carry Maxis in a hardshell carry on. Never an issue.

Passenger Removed from Southwest Airlines
According to his video posted to YouTube, Smith was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight on April 21st, 2016 because his carry-on bag contained a DJI Phantom and its lithium-ion polymer (LiPo) batteries.
However.... and this is a BIG however, Southwest admitted that it was a mistake and made sure he made a follow up flight.

So this video does not state you cannot fly with drone batteries, it only explains that airlines sometimes make a mistake.

I'd also mention that I lot of devices that people carry on everyday (laptops, tablets, chainsaws, etc) have lipo batteries. Those people are let on all of the time. I think the pilot was confused about the size of these batteries (and perhaps ill-informed).

d881bbfc50e2b39c0a3d668b1b4bd68e.jpg
daa9071030b25c6885f650b4c7d7e139.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Flying every week to and from various places I wanted to be sure I could bring my drone. I called TSA there explanation is as follows on Li bats: Li batteries should be "carry on" only so the flight crew has access, should something occur. A lone battery should be kept in the drone itself and extras should be charged, terminals covered and secured during flight. I have flown with my drone dozens of times and never had an issue.

Reactions: Reginald Thomas
Flying every week to and from various places I wanted to be sure I could bring my drone. I called TSA there explanation is as follows on Li bats: Li batteries should be "carry on" only so the flight crew has access, should something occur. A lone battery should be kept in the drone itself and extras should be charged, terminals covered and secured during flight. I have flown with my drone dozens of times and never had an issue.

I've flown Southwest on many occasions with my Phantom as a carry on and never experienced any issues with TSA nor Southwest. Of course I prepared it as prescribed by TSA. I always download and printout the latest TSA carry on (Lipo Batttery) procedures to take with me in the event TSA officials raise any questions .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik