Phantom2 with Gimbal. need suggestions on how to equip

Reaction score
Just purchased Phontom2 with Zenmuse Gimbal mount. I have been practicing how to fly it. Now I must equip it.
1.Thinking of getting GoPro Hero 3+ Silver or Black edition. Any suggestions as to which I should buy. Is there an advantage to having the Wi-Fi remote that comes with black edition?
2. I want to be able to see what I am shooting. What are the alternatives. Looking for a reasonably priced solution.
I have been looking at the Fat Shark goggles. There is a good video on how to install at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCTqyJPfH8

The wi-fi remote and wi-fi on the gopro entirely is useless for use on the phantom. The wi-fi will interfere with the communication between the remote and phantom. That would be bad. Not to mention the range from the gopro wouldnt be very good.

If you want to see, definitely set yourself up with a FPV setup. I personally went with:
dji avl58 5.8ghz tx/rx - $210
readymaderc 8" lcd - $100
Tripod - $20
LiPo battery and charger - ? I paid about $70 but Im sure you could find a battery/charger set cheaper

Its actually really easy to setup. Put the lcd on a tripod and plug the receiver in to the lcd and battery. The cable that comes with the avl58 is ready to go, all you need is a 11.1V LiPo battery with a dean connector and some velcro tape.

Dronefly.com has a youtube video with the wiring for the transmitter to the phantom. As long as you can solder, its easy. Ive never really soldered before, but I was very familiar with how it was supposed to be done. I had no problems other than leaving too much cable that needed to then be ziptied to the leg of the phantom.

The range on this set-up is advertised as 1km but on my flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS0kPA3 ... 4-overview
I only got about 300m before the video signal started crapping out (at 4 minutes in), but that may also have been due to line-of sight. Earlier, at 2:40 or so, was as far as I went in the opposite direction, perfect LoS, and no video issues. That was about 260m.

I'm in the same boat. I love the P2 with the gimbal. Very easy to get great video and the platform is awesome. I'm leaning towards a package deal with either a 4" or 7" monitor. osd and FPV are interesting but I'm not sure how badly I'll need them for some work. Still... the AV58 and iosd package are what seems the easiest and most common. Will pull the trigger tomorrow.

HI TonyM,
Thanks for the information. I will certainly consider your suggestions. Are you also using the Gimbal mount? Which camera are you using?
Lost River

Yep, zenmuse h3-2d and the hero 3 + black. I went with the model with the remote because i plan on using it in/on my car from time to time, and the remote or phone app are awesome for that.
Forewarning, the gimbal bracket is really weak. It doesnt take much at all to bend and/or crack it. It looks like replacement brackets just became available with a few retailers and its $75. Crazy replacement cost for something so delicate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl