Phantom2 goes into some auto-land mode after 3-4 minutes

Reaction score
I bought the Phantom2 a few months ago and have made maybe about 15 or so full flights with it. I have 3 batteries for it and when I first got it, I ran all 3 down to nothing charged and used again without problem.

3 flights ago I went to a local canyon and took it out as usual. The batteries were charged weeks ago. I checked them both via the battery button which showed 4 bars and via the FPV, which showed 96% when the GPS lights went 'green'. I went for a flight (can post the video if you want). I took it up to about 150m altitude to get a good look around. Suddenly and without my telling it to do so, the drone dropped about 50m. I checked the batt status on the FPV and it said 85% so I thought it was just a down-draft. I then flew it around a bit more, not understanding that something was wrong, but it kept just dropping altitude once in a while. It was completely out of my sight and I was flying FPV all the time. When I became alarmed, I brought it above me to have a look and that's when I noticed that the green lights started to flash red. It continued to drop altitude and due to nearby trees and a power line, it was lucky that I didnt lose the damned thing. By the time it force-landed itself, the battery was still at 72% and when I got my hands on it, the battery itself showed 3 bars.

I have now taken it out 2 more times since with same results. Battery is fully charged. It will fly as usual for 3-4 minutes then start flashing red lights and will drop altitude even if I am pressing UP on the controls. Pressing UP does reduce the rate of decent, but does not stop it. When this happens, the red lights eventually stop flashing at which point it flies just fine, but within seconds, red lights come on again and it drops.

I have never updated anything on it. Never even hooked up the USB cord. It worked fine out of the box and I never had a reason to mess with it. Now it's doing this crap for no apparent reason. I am going to mark my batteries 1, 2 and 3 and test with another battery on as it is possible that I just have a bad one that I used the last 3 times.

In any case, I assume that there is some self-diagnosis software, or something that I can do to figure out why it feels like landing itself for no reason...

Update: I've found the software and updated the firmware on both the done and controller. Will try to replicate problem again, but like I said I doubt that its a firmware issue since I never even connected the USB before and it started doing this...

Your battery is starting to flake out. You are not alone

See this topic : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324#p159001

If your batteries have sat for weeks, wipe the contact points with rubbing alcohol and a Q tip. They get a glaze on them when they sit for long periods of time causing contact issues.

One thing I would do for sure is to do an IMU calibration then do a compass calibration. Out of the box can mean the unit was bounced around during shipping and the sensors are a little out of whack. What does your telementry data show for the number of sattelites when the lights start flashing red? How many doesnitnshow before you take off? Be sure you are getting home lock before take off. That's a key for safe GPS return.

One thing I would do for sure is to do an IMU calibration then do a compass calibration. Out of the box can mean the unit was bounced around during shipping and the sensors are a little out of whack. What does your telementry data show for the number of sattelites when the lights start flashing red? How many doesnitnshow before you take off? Be sure you are getting home lock before take off. That's a key for safe GPS return.

I'd like to know what the IMU cal, compass cal and number of GPS sats has to do with the OP's complaint of autolanding with 72% of battery life. PLEASE IN LIGHTEN ME ON THE SUBJECT.

Cal, Cal, Cal. How unsatisfying is that?
No understanding of the root cause. Just a ritualistic habit.

The P2s have a 'hidden' low-voltage cut-off (LVCO) of 10.65v.

On my P2, my Futaba T10J system has voltage telemetry.
I never trust the % battery data. Voltage is the only reliable parameter.

Most likely your battery is losing capacity and the LVCO is kicking-in.

Cal, Cal, Cal. How unsatisfying is that?
No understanding of the root cause. Just a ritualistic habit.

The P2s have a 'hidden' low-voltage cut-off (LVCO) of 10.65v.

On my P2, my Futaba T10J system has voltage telemetry.
I never trust the % battery data. Voltage is the only reliable parameter.

Most likely your battery is losing capacity and the LVCO is kicking-in.

The real problem here isn't so much about why it auto landed but in poor battery maintenance.

The real problem here isn't so much about why it auto landed but in poor battery maintenance.
Didn't scroll up far enough before replying.
Now see it's 2 years old.

Didn't scroll up far enough before replying.
Now see it's 2 years old.

So you think I didn't that it was a thread from back in 2014. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Non-sequitur?

Your post, quoting mine, makes no sense.
So I suspect you are worried what others think, but, making it clear you have not fallen off a produce truck.

Your post, quoting mine, makes no sense.
So I suspect you are worried what others think, but, making it clear you have not fallen off a produce truck.

This all started with this post. which had nothing to do with the OP's original post July 16, 2014.

Maybe you missed that post I didn't nor my quest to be enlightened. Some only read what they want to read.

For me it started here:

"So you think I didn't that it was a thread from back in 2014. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck."

Don't know what the first sentence means.
The second was a bit clearer.

So I miss typing in a word. And you going to set there make issue of it. What a jerk you can be. Go back out in GODS waiting room for your number to be called.

Not at all.
In post 9 I admit I didn't realize it was an old thread then you get defensive and declare you did and then made it clear you didn't fall off a truck.

Now it's followed by name calling and assumptions based on my geographical location.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic