Phantom2/FPV reception issues

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the production Combo from Dronefly. Their webpage says that the FPV system will get from 600-800m on clear LOS. I am nowhere near that at about 150m before the video gets too scratchy to fly safely.
Am I expecting too much from a stock Boscam TS832 600mw antenna setup?

The problem is almost certainly the antennas. Make sure you have a decent cloverleaf on the transmitter, and that you bend it through 90 degrees so it's pointing downwards, not sticking out horizontally.

Thanks Harry. I think I will try the one they offer. The receiver is built into the monitor which has two antennas. Do I need to put one of the cloverleafs on the receiver or just use stock?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Yes, put one of the cloverleafs on the receiver. They're sold in pairs: one for the transmitter, the other for the receiver.

I also have the TS832, may I suggest you watch the first 6-7 minutes of this video, it'll really help you get an idea about antennas and how they work. Also why the "stock" little stick antennas that come with transmitters and receivers are crap and have no range.

once you watch that you should understand why you need a decent quality omnidirectional antenna on the transmitter, a pinwheel or cloverleaf.

on the receiver you have several options, which is nice since you have 2 plugs. You can put a omnidirectional antenna on the receiver, or even go with a helix which is much longer range but you have to keep it pointed at the transmitter (phantom). having 2 antenna plugs means you can do both.

you don't necessarily need 2 antennas on the receiver. If you're on a budget just get a decent set of cloverleafs.
If you have the money for premium antennas, there's a 3 antenna bundle from FPVLR that's pretty much the ultimate for $110. it has 2 pinwheels (1 Tx, 1 Rx) and a helix (Rx).
Here is the part number for Boscam transmitters. Pay close attention to his ***ATTENTION notes in the item, and if you want to order just get in touch via the sales@ email address and confirm which receiver you have and which plugs you need. He's very easy to work with.

Thanks for the great info. I returned my Phantom 2 to Drone fly and they found a defective power supply on the main board. The FPV transmitter was getting low power as was the H3-3D causing it to droop and reinitialize over and over. They called me and told me sorry for your trouble...we are sending you a brand new Production kit combo. Wow....talk about customer service! Anyway, I will try everything out once I get it and will more than likely go with the antenna group you and others have suggested. Thanks again QYV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj