phantom wont stay on ground

Reaction score
Hey im new to the forum and new to the phantoms i recently had a crash that broke an arm on my fc40 right in front of one of the motors after i replaced the body i took it outside and did a test flight to see how it was flyin took off good and flew good but when i go to land i pull down on the jooystick to make it idle on the ground i hot it for a couple seconds and let go but the motors gain power slowly and it falls over i hooked it up to my computer and in my imu calibrations the compass aint showin anything can any body help me with my problem thanks?????????????????

If you let it idle the motors will spool back up.... Not enough to take off but enough to turn over. If you want to idle it a bit, first shut the motors down and then start it back up without throttling up...it'll sit there and idle as long as you want. Hope this helps !

Maybe it's not supposed to rev back up, but it does. Idle before flights, not after.

Did you do the advanced IMU calibration and then the compass dance after you put it back together? It's helped me with issues, but you can't reprogram that rev up thing. It's just going to do it.

Oh yea,
Welcome aboard. :cool:

i recalibrated the compass but it kept tellin me my mcu was to hot unplug and let cool down for 5 mins and try again i tried it and it said the same thing and when u land ur suppost to be able to hold the joy stick down for like a second or two and it will go into idle mode after landing from flight mine did till i ran mine into the side of a building and glad to be a part of the drone community :twisted:

Yep, the IMU (NOT the MCU) will tell you it's too hot to run the program... IT'S NOT. I've done it at 50 degrees F, and it told me the same thing. It's one of those glitches (like revving up and tipping over after landing) in the system that the Phantom acquires as it passes through the Bermuda Triangle when it's being shipped to the states. That's really true, the voices in my head told me so. :lol: Just try it again in a minute, and again and again if you have to. It's pretty important to do the advanced calibration, if you ask me.

The joy stick you hold down is the throttle. I think it takes up to 3 seconds at the full bottom position to shut it down. I don't know of a "second or two" hold down to enter into "idle mode".

Sounds like you need to do one of three things.
A) Accomplish the Advanced IMU calibration, or
B) Run into the same building at the same time of day, but hit the exact opposite side of your bird on the building.
C) Sell me your bird for 40 bucks and buy a new one

Now this is some serious stuff. Oh wait, no it isn't, I'm just goofing off, except for the IMU thing.

Take pics & vids and share them. We will live vicariously through your efforts to become an experienced PhantomPilot. Or maybe we'll just laugh with you at the crazie stuff that we go through trying to fly. If it's not fun; don't do it.

sry if i get the name of something wrong like i said im new to all this right now it kinda seems like a money pit............. i tried to calibrate 10 to 15 times and nothing it wont let me..maybe i messed up the imu when i hit the building idk.and for the idle it use to idle after landing my buddy has the same quad and his does it just fine but idk

If you can't calibrate it then obviously your crash caused more damage then you initially thought. Not sure that an IMU issue would effect the craft the way yours is effected though. You've calibrated your transmitter right? If not, try that. I don't have an FC40. I have a Vision Plus. I think they're similar though. If so, you'll have a program for calibrating your transmitter and you can also calibrate it in the Phantoms assistant software. This may mean opening up your transmitter though (For the transmitter program) to access the mini USB port on it. Maybe in the software you can change the gains (If you can do that. I can in my Vision Plus assistant software)

Good luck and welcome!

Make sure the top switches are in the upper position. If both switches are in the bottom position, the quad will pick up speed and take off by itself. This takes between 10-20 seconds. I know this true because it has happened to me. The quad was in perfect working condition.

After a manual landing, if you don't tell the Phantom that it's landed (by switching off the motors), it will assume it has to maintain it's altitude, even when it's on the ground. So it will spin up to hover power and tip over, or take off a few feet (if you're lucky).
Only after a Fail Safe auto landing, the quad will stop its motors by itself. Mind you that even after a low battery landing, the motors will keep spinning and if you don't switch them off, it will use its last power to try to hover again, tipping over as a result.

Always shut down the engines after a landing, unless you want to practice touch down and goes.

It is supposed and fully intended to act like this.

To elaborate on that further, using pure logic abduction (I admit), I know that in a Fail Safe situation, the Phantom (any multirotor that uses Naza actually) will turn off the motors only after it has sensed no change in altitude for a while, and it will assume it has landed, because it intended to do so. In a manual landing situation, there's nothing that tells the Phantom that it is actually landing, it is just descending. When it doesn't sense a change in altitude, it still doesn't consider it a landing, because it might be in a downward draft with the same negative vertical velocity as the Phantom while descending. So YOU always have to tell it that it has landed by shutting down the engines.

I just try to make sense of it, and this is what I come up with. Interesting matter, for sure.

The point I am making is that IF you have the top two switches in the lower (bottom) position AND you start the quad after 20 seconds or so, it will become airborne. By the way, the transmitter is ON all the time.

jerrymac12000 said:
The point I am making is that IF you have the top two switches in the lower (bottom) position AND you start the quad after 20 seconds or so, it will become airborne. By the way, the transmitter is ON all the time.

Only if the right hand switch is set to Fail Safe (Return to Home, RTH) in the Assistant software, it will indeed carry out a Fail Safe procedure. Even when idling on the ground it will raise to at least 20 meters (or the height you set in the software) and come down again, if the GPS is locked, otherwise it will take off to China. The left IOC switch will always be overridden by the Fail Safe procedure, so it doesn't matter in which position that one is. Never start up your quad with the Fail Safe switched on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj