Phantom with slight tilt/roll

Reaction score
I did my first real flight today and it flew really well. I had no issues controlling it. Before landing I hovered it at about eye level in front of me. I noticed it was leaning to the right a little bit.

I also noticed when I turned (yaw) it wouldn't just spin on a tight axis, it made kind of a circle as it rotated.

I was in GPS mode and I feel like it might drift significantly if it wasn't. It's probably worth mentioning that my first flight was very short and ended in a crash. So I'm partially concerned that something might be a little off.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

If you did not calibrate the compass you should do that as well. I don't have a link to it, but search youtube and you will find some videos on how to calibrate the compass. If you did that already, I don't have any suggestions for you, sorry.

Calibrate the compass as suggested above and if you still have the problem, calibrate the IMU as well. That's my guess.

I did calibrate the compass. Looks like I need to research what the IMU is and figure how how to calibrate. Sorry I'm quite the noob but learning =)

When you first lifted off, was it from a level surface. If you take off from a position where the quad isn't level at take off I think that can mess it up some.

It wasn't quite level. That could be it then. I think I'm going to check the assistant software tonight to make sure I don't have any errors and also check that IMU calibration

Ok, there were no errors but it said my IMU needed calibration. I did the calibration and now I just need some good weather and free time. I'll let you know how it goes

Griggs said:
Ok, there were no errors but it said my IMU needed calibration. I did the calibration and now I just need some good weather and free time. I'll let you know how it goes

When doing IMU cal - I prefer Advanced cal, it takes a minute or so longer but seems to produce better results.

I don't think compass miscalibration would make it tilt\roll; that sounds like that the gyro needs recalibrating (if it's not fighting against the wind), which is what the Advanced IMU recalibratoin does.

I took it out again today. I flew well again. But at a stationary hover it seems to want to drift again. I did the IMU configuration, but maybe not the advanced one (?) I've give that a try and see how it goes.

Griggs said:
I took it out again today. I flew well again. But at a stationary hover it seems to want to drift again. I did the IMU configuration, but maybe not the advanced one (?) I've give that a try and see how it goes.

Drift how? In a pattern or just wandering slightly. If the latter, keep in mind that it's not going to hold it's position perfectly. GPS accuracy will vary based on a number of variables.

The phantoms GPSpsoition hold is accurate to 2.5 metres in the horizontal plane and 90cm vertically.
Bear this in mind. Within those limits it may still compensate for wind by tilting into it.

Ozzyguy said:
The phantoms GPSpsoition hold is accurate to 2.5 metres in the horizontal plane and 90cm vertically.
Bear this in mind. Within those limits it may still compensate for wind by tilting into it.

And that's 2.5 meters in ideal conditions, i.e you've got a good geographical distribution of satellites in order to obtain such accuracy.

You guys might be right. I took it out today and it flew great once again. I did see a bit of tilt but it could be the wind. I'll wait until my flight skills improve a bit before taking it out of GPS mode. Thanks for the advice!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl