Phantom Will Not Hover In Same Spot

Reaction score
I took my FC40 out for the first time today, calibrated compass (turning FC40 360 degrees etc) and found that it would not hover in the same spot. But rather it would drift approximately 10 feet or so. Realistically how close to one spot should I expect the FC40 to hover. Or should I ask what is an reasonable allowance for the FC40 to drift once I stop it?

Cheers!
TSF

Specs are about 7.5 feet in GPS mode.

But if you don't have GPS lock then it could be a LONG way.

I believe after flying mine last evening in blustery wind conditions that mine will hold to that spec even in those conditions. I am quite impressed. Gotta have the gps lock and 6+ sats though.

There is a soar storm going on. These interfere with the GPS signals. I don't plan on flying today or tomorrow. The app I use says the Kp-Index is 6 today, predicted o be 7 tomorrow and 5 on Sunday.

I have read that anything over 4 is not good.

They do move around some. If the GPS isn't locking, it will drift in one direction without correcting.

One way you can test it is while it is hovering, grab the landing gear and drag it somewhere else. It should go back to where it was hovering.

OK that's good news, it was hovering within the 7.5 spec.

Good trick on grabbing the landing gear will give that a try and never even thought of the solar storm...

Thanks!

That's the one thing i don't like of the phantom. Hovering is all over the place, 7 feet is a LOT.
I was used to the AR drone, that uses a camera to lock into the ground. that was pretty steady hovering. only downfall of that, it works up to 3 meter.

Musicman said:
That's the one thing i don't like of the phantom. Hovering is all over the place, 7 feet is a LOT.
I was used to the AR drone, that uses a camera to lock into the ground. that was pretty steady hovering. only downfall of that, it works up to 3 meter.

I started out with that piece of crap, too. I wouldn't fly it with ANY wind, because if you got up high (high being 100 feet to me with that), if the wind tokk it, it was gone.

And then there was that whole "If it tilts too much, like when you are traveling laterally and stop, it just shuts the motors off. I crashed that thing just about every day I flew it.

I did the math on that bottom camera. The higher it got, the larger area was covered by each pixel. What was that camera, 320 x 240?

No idea.
Just know that i used it to start my hobby, for 1.5 years. Never really crashed, flew with normal winds and stronger winds never had the tilt warning.
Maybe it was because i used a PS3 controller, dunno.
Thing is, it hovered like a motherfucker. Mine did, anyway.
In all the other things the phantom is miles ahead ofcourse. Just not the hovering . No biggie :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl