Phantom waypoint/mission planner

Reaction score
What options are there for waypoint flights or mission planning pre-flight?

At work, we currently use a service-drone G4 for aerial surveying and topo capture with good success. Flights are planned using simple software, Groundstation. Pre-flight, the area required is defined on a map and the software generates a flight path to capture photographs with enough overlap to create a 3D model.

upload_2016-2-21_11-58-14.png

The UAV will then fly along each line and take photos every 3 seconds and return home on completion.

What we were wondering, can the phantom be made to do this in anyway??

Reactions: Sim597
The Phantom can do this. It would be easiest to use a 3rd party app like Litchi so you can setup your mission from the ground. If you use DJI GO, it'll be tough because you'll need to fly to all of those points to mark them (you cannot setup the mission in the DJI GO app from the ground).

There is a very interesting iOS app for doing just what you are looking to do. The app is called Map Pilot (Maps Made Easy - Home). You can take the images generated by the mapping mission and their online service will turn them into an appropriate map. Service is free for smaller maps and seems reasonably priced for larger maps. There are several YouTube videos describing, in detail, how you would use it and how it works. App is reasonably priced. at $10. I have not bought it yet but I probably will. The apps usage is very specific to mapping.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll look into litchi software and hopefully fly a mission we've done with the G4 to compare results
Biggest plus to the G4 and software is it automatically plans the waypoints and triggers the camera shutter interval to capture photos to cover the area and necessary overlap for creating the 3D model...but at 30 times the cost of a phantom advanced I'd expect it to!

That " autopilot" app looks really involved and to be honest, looks like they've been busting their butt on it. For $29.99 it looks like it's very involved. Although there are other apps more detailed and aimed at farms and those types of missions of mapping, this AutoPilot app looks like something I'd like to try someday, just think they should maybe do special here at the forum, like a 30% off weekend. Then that may get some buzz and more info.

Reactions: terrylowe
That " autopilot" app looks really involved and to be honest, looks like they've been busting their butt on it. For $29.99 it looks like it's very involved. Although there are other apps more detailed and aimed at farms and those types of missions of mapping, this AutoPilot app looks like something I'd like to try someday, just think they should maybe do special here at the forum, like a 30% off weekend. Then that may get some buzz and more info.

I agree....autopilot will easily set this kind of waypoint up.

Reactions: Sim597

At work, we currently use a service-drone G4 for aerial surveying and topo capture with good success. Flights are planned using simple software, Groundstation. Pre-flight, the area required is defined on a map and the software generates a flight path to capture photographs with enough overlap to create a 3D model.

View attachment 44510
The UAV will then fly along each line and take photos every 3 seconds and return home on completion.

Wow, you work in the industry? That's pretty cool! I know these jobs exist but I figured usually colleges and stuff we're still doing the heavy lifting and most of that, really good to see American ppl making a living off of this newer tech.

Have you tried our software - UgCS? Seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Runs on Windows, Mac OS X platforms and supports most DJI autopilots. Missions can be pre-planned or executed in Click-And-Go mode. Camera trigger actions (by time / by distance or at each waypoint) are supported. You are able to create the area scan missions you are looking for. Also - return home command is supported. And I'm sure you'll find much more useful features.

In case you are interested feel free to check it out: www.ugcs.com
Thanks for the post
I see the software can provide waypoints and mission planning but can it trigger the camera at specific intervals as the OP? To date I haven't found anything that will do this. I would like to hear if anyone else knows if this is possible

Wow, you work in the industry? That's pretty cool! I know these jobs exist but I figured usually colleges and stuff we're still doing the heavy lifting and most of that, really good to see American ppl making a living off of this newer tech.

We are using a UAV to fly over sites and produce topographic surveys with good success. Ground control points are surveyed with RTK gps or total station and integrated to flight data, results are very impressive. Hasn't made us surveyors obsolete yet but makes large area surveys much easier :)

I'm not sure what UgSC meant by "depends" on what autopilot" if maybe he thought I meant it as a broad terminology thing, but I meant the actual app called "autopilot"

View attachment 44510

Hey Man,

I'm doing some geomatics here in the Southeast and I am wondering if you ever found a good solution to this thread? I have the same question.

Jay

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20