Phantom Vision Video Footage

Reaction score
I am a newcomer to DJI and still wondering which Phantom to invest in; Phantom 2 or Phantom Vision?

I notice on the Vision model that even after stabilisation, some footage appears to 'breathe' or 'wobble' (jello) when the on board camera is tilted up or down. Have any of you been able to rectify this?

Also is it possible to rectify the FOV from the WA lens on Phantom Vision video and if so what software is recommended?

I intend to use the Phantom for corporate productions in the UK. I realise I will need to be certified by the CAA for commercial gain but do I need to licence the UAV and myself whilst I am learning to fly/use it?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. MYPADTV

Hi,

Regarding the post-stabilization "wobbles" - this is actually an artefact of some stabilization software, and is caused by the wide field of view of the camera. Some software can't quite cope with the barrel distortion causing changes between frames. The worst culprit is the YouTube stabilizer. The FOV can't be changed in video mode. I believe you can remove the barrel distortion in video using Adobe products (it certainly works for stills) but there will be some image cropping.

If you are going for commercial quality you really need a gimbal - mainly because all your competitors will be using one and if you are only going to rely on software it will never be as good as footage shot with a stabilized camera. If you are keen on the Vision because of the overall package then there are currently two third-party 2 axis gimbals in the pipeline that use the existing Vision camera mounted to a three-axis gimbal. One is about to ship ( http://dronexpert.nl/product/dji-vision-gimbal-2/ ) and is somewhat expensive but ready to go. Another is in development, no price yet but likely cheaper (do a Youtube search for "rotorpixel vision gimbal").

There is no requirement for CAA authorisation if you are not getting "valuable consideration" (i.e. cash or anything in-kind) for what you are doing. Nothing to stop you learning to fly and practice aerial filming otherwise. As soon as there's any money involved then you're breaking the law. There's nothing to stop you taking part one of the BNUC-S (ground school exam) whilst you are still learning though - you can do part 2 at a later date.

Hi

Many thanks for your response and guidance. I have taken the plunge and invested in a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Gimbal, Go Pro Hero 3+ Black and FPV (Monitor not glasses) and fitted a Garmin Tracker for good measure.

I'm very impressed thus far with everything UAV as this is a completely new venture for me and I'm keen to execute it correctly, right down to the last detail.

Whilst in the 'pilot training phase' of my new found hobby, I am still a little unsure about my legal position and wanted to clarify this. It is to my understanding that; Whilst I am learning to fly (even with a camera attached that is capturing video/stills) that I do not require a CAA license so long as I observe the stipulations:

1. I am NOT receiving any monetary gain from my footage commercial or otherwise.
2. I observe the 400ft/500m line of sight rule
3. I don't fly within 30m of any person
4. I don't fly within 150m of any congested area/building/structure
5. I employ a 'spotter' for any FPV flight (does this include monitors as opposed to glasses?)
6. The data protection rule of NOT collecting images of any individual(s) or privacy
7. I must obtain the permission of the owner of any private land I fly my UAV on
8. My UAV does not weigh any more than 7KG
9. I observe at all times a common sense attitude to safe and sensible flight

I think it would be a really good idea for newcomers (and even seasoned UAV pilots) to have at hand a recognised statement that could help in any potential situation of conflict with the public and/or the law. Is there one already in existence and is it downloadable? This would be an essential piece of kit to have available.

Finally, can you or anyone recommend a suitable insurance company/policy that covers UAV's and their operation commercially?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Mypad

1. Correct.
2. No such legal limits if not operating commercially under a CAA Permission.
3. Not under your control, correct.
4. Over or within a congested area, within 50m of a structure not under your control.
5. Spotters are required for immersive FPV - see fpvuk.org for the full exemption they have won for FPV flights.
6. For personal flights it's the same as for land-based photographers. For commercial flights it depends on the use and whether individuals are identifiable - might be worth taking up with the Data Protection Commissioner. But in essence whatever rules pro land-based photographers have to follow on DP, so will you.
7. Yes, for taking off or landing.
8. Above 7kg adds additional restrictions/training requirements I believe.
9. Always!

Bottom line if you are training and not accepting any form of payment in cash or in kind then the rules for you are the same for me - the ANO s167 - small unmanned surveillance aircraft (unless you take the cameras off, in which case it's s166).

I haven't look seriously into operating commercially in the UK beyond reading up for interest, so haven't any info on commercial insurers. I'm sure there must be a forum somewhere for commercial operators in the UK... try here as a start point: http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php/board,62.0.html

Have just bought a P-2 with the included gyro and am fitting a GoPro 3+.

How good is the footage likely to be? Will I see any vibration. Will it have wobble? Will be shooting at 60p so I can smooth things. I am after a "professional look." Footage will be edited in FCP X with several plug ins that enhance and correct Go Pro footage, but I don't have anything to deal with wobble.

Also am wondering if you think some of this footage was shot with a copter. It is very steady!

http://youtu.be/ryphy3RA4CM

greytail said:
Have just bought a P-2 with the included gyro and am fitting a GoPro 3+.

How good is the footage likely to be? Will I see any vibration. Will it have wobble? Will be shooting at 60p so I can smooth things. I am after a "professional look." Footage will be edited in FCP X with several plug ins that enhance and correct Go Pro footage, but I don't have anything to deal with wobble.

Also am wondering if you think some of this footage was shot with a copter. It is very steady!

http://youtu.be/ryphy3RA4CM

Hello, go to the "Video" section of this site and have a look what others with the same setup are doing...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj