Phantom Vision to use Li-On?

Reaction score
Another picture shows information on the battery and indicates it is a lithium polymer.

But if that's the case, the amount of lithium in the Phantom Vision battery would exceed the allowable limit with regard to taking the battery on airplanes in both the U.S. and Canada; here's an earlier comment I posted on this subject some time ago:

So this site http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html states that a 100 Wh battery has the equivalent of 8 grams of lithium, so the Phantom battery has about 2 grams of lithium, which means it should be legal.

I understand the Phantom Vision will carry a 4400 mAh battery, which means it will have 4 grams of lithium and would be illegal to take onto an airplane in either the U.S. or Canada.

So is it possible that they have been forced to move to a Li-On battery because of this restriction?

Lithium Ion is also much lighter then lipo, its quite likely a 4400mah li io will be quite similar in weight to a 2200mah lipo. This can explain how they get such long flight times yet only doubling capacity. If you use a 4400mah lipo even the best batteries will nearly be double the weight of the stock phantom battery.

If they can get a lithium ion battery tha can discharge at the needed rate at close to 200g that woukd be a huge boost. This could make the vision still be around the 1000g mark with dou ke the battery and so the flight times start to make a bit more sense.

I think I would be getting a new lower shell and battery if thats the case for sure. This way the phantom would be all I need for quite a bit longer.

Interesting stuff. I was thinking along similar lines regards weight but I never imagined such a fast discharge rate through a Li-io without murdering the internals. Maybe they have cracked it and managed it. I wonder what it will do to charge times if that is the case.

Actually the vision battery will be around 5200mah lipo :) I flewñ the vision yesterday and I love it

Wheels said:
Actually the vision battery will be around 5200mah lipo :) I flewñ the vision yesterday and I love it

Excellent! 5200mah.... I'd ask what kind of flight time you got but I'm guessing all will be revealed in a video of yours pretty soon?

martcerv said:
Lithium Ion is also much lighter then lipo, its quite likely a 4400mah li io will be quite similar in weight to a 2200mah lipo. This can explain how they get such long flight times yet only doubling capacity. If you use a 4400mah lipo even the best batteries will nearly be double the weight of the stock phantom battery.

If they can get a lithium ion battery tha can discharge at the needed rate at close to 200g that woukd be a huge boost. This could make the vision still be around the 1000g mark with dou ke the battery and so the flight times start to make a bit more sense.

I think I would be getting a new lower shell and battery if thats the case for sure. This way the phantom would be all I need for quite a bit longer.

Sorry - wrong way round, Li- Po batteries ARE LIGHTER than Lithium Ion per given capacity/discharge ability. It's the two main reasons they have been adopted in RC models...
1. They are lighter
2. They are able to provide huge amounts of current very quickly

Seems wheels AKA HPiGuy has answered my question already.... nice work my friend!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDQ5KT2abE[/youtube]

Suffice to say as an all in one package it really is impressive and if the Phantom 2 really is coming it is some good ground work. I really hope 5.8ghz is kept just for the vision and not the 2. I'd love to see how well it copes flying behind objects. 2.4ghz is pretty reasonable for this... 5.8ghz is much more sensitive.

Still all looking good! 5200mah... how!

The Editor said:
martcerv said:

Sorry - wrong way round, Li- Po batteries ARE LIGHTER than Lithium Ion per given capacity/discharge ability. It's the two main reasons they have been adopted in RC models...
1. They are lighter
2. They are able to provide huge amounts of current very quickly

I was just goin by all the lithium ion batteries I have seen for sale as they are much lighter but also much slower discharge rates. So it must be that if they match a lipo discharge rate then they will end up heavier. I havent ever seen a li-io that matches the discharge rate and obviously that must be the reason, I thought maybe it wasnt possible but guess it is just ends up way too heavy to bother anyone making such batteries.

No one has responded to my comment yet regarding the fact that if the Vision battery really does have more than 2 grams of lithium, it can't be carried on a commercial airplane either as checked or carry on baggage.

This would be a serious problem in my case.

FrankB said:
No one has responded to my comment yet regarding the fact that if the Vision battery really does have more than 2 grams of lithium, it can't be carried on a commercial airplane either as checked or carry on baggage.

This would be a serious problem in my case.

Limit is 8gm not 2gm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

what then is the difference between classic Li‑ion and Li‑ion polymer? Although the characteristics and performance of the two systems are very similar, the Li‑ion polymer is unique in that solid electrolyte replaces the porous separator. The gelled electrolyte is simply added to enhance ion conductivity.
the promised superiority of the Li‑ion polymer has not yet been realized. No improvements in capacity gains are achieved — in fact, the capacity is slightly less than that of the standard Li‑ion battery. For the present, there is no cost advantage. The major reason for switching to the Li-ion polymer is form factor.

check there
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... st_battery

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic