phantom vision range

Reaction score
hi, I have only had 2 trips out with my pv2 now and yesterday I was losing Wi-Fi connection at around 200 meters.
rather than testing how far before I lose actual control I thought I'd ask the people who may be a bit more experienced.
1. how far should it go before I lose wifi
2. how far should it go before I lose control

I was flying on a football/rugby pitch so the goal posts/lights were metal?

I read a post yesterday saying he had gone 2000meters?!?! 10times further??

also does any know about the screw in the back that can extend the range?

your help would be appreciated

thanks Pete

PETELEEUK said:
hi, I have only had 2 trips out with my pv2 now and yesterday I was losing Wi-Fi connection at around 200 meters.
rather than testing how far before I lose actual control I thought I'd ask the people who may be a bit more experienced.
1. how far should it go before I lose wifi
2. how far should it go before I lose control

I was flying on a football/rugby pitch so the goal posts/lights were metal?

I read a post yesterday saying he had gone 2000meters?!?! 10times further??

also does any know about the screw in the back that can extend the range?

your help would be appreciated

thanks Pete

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .00_en.pdf

See page 12. Not legal in certain countries though.

I lose video connection at 300m, but I've flown my P2V up to 1.5km without video. When the P2V loses the connection with my transmitter, return to home is initiated and I usually wait for a few minutes depending how far it flew before I can hear it and I can reconnect with it. Make sure your P2V achieves a home lock before you take off!

In typical UK country scenery (i.e. trees, small hills, etc) I generally lose control signal before video (about 1000ft in any direction, including up). In more open, flat countryside (open downland farmland, for example) I lose video before control (around 1200ft). In parks or recreation areas in a suburban location you're going to have more interference and more signal absorption.

It changes depending on where you fly it. 5.8GHz particularly is more or less line of sight - once you have things between you and the aircraft (or even near the aircraft) the 5.8 signal suffers - trees, rising ground, structures, etc. If you change the mode from CE to FCC you will be transmitting at a power level which is technically illegal in the UK/EU, assuming someone from Ofcom catches you in the act with some technical testing equipment... This effects the control range only. For the best wifi performance you need to orient the range extender so it is always pointing at the aircraft. If you climb, lift the extender to track the aircraft. If you move the aircraft to one side, move yourself/the transmitter so the extender still points at the aircraft.

Thanks . Great advice .

I'll give it a go next time I can get out .. I'll maybe try fcc if I can find a place 'legal'

Thanks

Hi. So you would be Ok losing wifi and carry on going by sight alone?
Will rth work no matter where it loses connection. ? As long as I've set the home point.

You help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Yes you can fly without wifi. There's an "off" switch on the back of the camera if you just want to buzz it around somewhere without using your phone or taking photos. Control will work exactly as before. Return to home only kicks in when you lose control signal. If you lose wifi signal you get a display on your phone screen telling you so and obviously you lose video and telemtry, but you can still fly it without issue. Just bear in mind the remaining battery level and your skill level in piloting it in the correct direction!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1