Phantom Vision Plus or Phantom 2 with GoPro

Reaction score
New to multirotors but lots of RC helicopter experience. I am looking at the Phantom and trying to decide between the Vision Plus or Phantom 2 with GoPro. I would like to be able to view what I am filming so the "all in one" features of the Plus are an attraction. Any advice would be appreciated

you can still get a live feed (we call that FPV) from the Phantom2 with GoPro, you just have to add it yourself (or buy a bundle with it all pre-installed). In the end, you will have spent slightly more than the cost of the Vision series, but you'll have a much more powerful platform. The FPV is longer range, and the videos you take from the gopro are drastically better. Also the gopro is useful to you OFF the Phantom, which the Vision series camera is not.

One advantage the Vision series has is the app (downside: wifi range is expensive to extend) which can stop/start recording and take pictures during flight... with the gopro you have to just press record and edit the footage later... imo this is a VERY small advantage just trying to be fair about the two products...

The Vision series is for folks that are too lazy or don't have the technical skills to turn some screws and plug a few things in, but still want all those features in a nice complete package that is NOT designed to be upgraded or modified at all.
The NON-Vision series is for the other folks... who don't mind a little tinkering (FPV is plug and play but still, you have to open the shell and plug some stuff in) and want to build a more powerful platform and have a few hundred more dollars to throw at the project.

I was torn between these as well. Ended up with the non vision. I like having a go pro for other stuff too, for pics I just set it for every 5sec. Video is amazing. I didn't want to build it and had it come assembled and tested. No regrets. I really like the FPV setup too.

I went for the non-vision Phantom 2 (pre-assembled by the dealer) for a few reasons. In case of a crash with the Vision that damages the camera or gimbal, you have to replace both. On the P2-NV the gimbal is a replaceable part and I can buy a new GoPro at WalMart. The P2-NV R/C controller operates on the 2.4GHz band, and the Vision R/C operates on 5.8GHz. The lower frequency generally will provide a link farther than the higher frequency band. On my setup, I will lose the 5.8GHz video before I lose the 2.4 GHz R/C link.

And, I don't trust WiFi.

QYV said:
The Vision series is for folks that are too lazy or don't have the technical skills to turn some screws and plug a few things in, but still want all those features in a nice complete package that is NOT designed to be upgraded or modified at all.
That's a bit harsh. Yes the Vision series is 'open the box, read the manual and fly' more than the P2-NV. At least we hope most are reading the manual, but of that I am dubious. But often that is all that the user requires. Two or three hundred feet range is fine for their requirements.

We aren't all park flyers willing to limit our activities to AMA-blessed boredom, but some are quite happy flying in that box. Some of us will open the case before the first flight, others wouldn't dare get a screwdriver near their gear. That's why we have choices.

Personally, if I don't void the warranty in the first week, then it's been a slow week.

SteveMann said:
That's a bit harsh.

fair, I didn't mean it to sound like that I'll phrase it differently moving foward, I was just in a hurry

I am in a similar position and have been doing the pros and cons for the last couple of months. At the detail level you can look at everything from battery life to crash repairs to antenna upgrades..it is a considered purchase after all.

When all is said and done, neither is the wrong choice.

If your passion is flying around and it would be nice to take videos while you are at it, PV2P is the right choice.

If you r passion is video and you would like to be able to film from the air, PV plus Go Pro is the answer.

They are both good products. Neither is clearly "better" than the other.
The P2V+ is a great, ready to fly, straight out of the box machine and is preferred by many stills photographers.
Despite the comment above about 2-300 feet range, I've had mine out to 3200 feet.

Another Factor:

• Quality of Real Time Video Downlink

If you desire or have application for the best technically-practical real time video downlink, then the Vision+ provides a better real time video downlink than after-market traditional black-n-white analog SD video on 5.8ghz (or other band). I wish the real time video downlink on the P2V+ was as good as the DJI Light Bridge product but at least it is far better than a black-n-white analog SD downlink. It comes with trade-offs however; as do most things.

• The P2V+ is an out of the box solution for the widest mass appeal audience range hence its world wide popularity.

:D
It really boils down to FPV and camera control. I like the app and being able to switch between video and pictures. I like being able to see what I'm shooting rather than hope for a lucky shot. I really dislike most GoPro videos as they have prop noise (sound) and things I don't want to see like props and usually the left landing gear.

Here's an example, after some great video, sometimes I'll take a picture or two without landing in between or capturing a screen shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 549
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 597
As a popular saying goes on another board I am a member of.....get both.
Or, do as I did. Get the Vision +, then once you get used to it, then go to dronexperts.nl and buy their quick release product, buy a zenmuse H3-3D (or H4-3d next month) and a gopro 3 or 4, and still use the app for FPV. (still won't be able to control the camera modes, etc, but just set video to record and fly.

QYV said:
The NON-Vision series is for the other folks... who don't mind a little tinkering (FPV is plug and play but still, you have to open the shell and plug some stuff in) and want to build a more powerful platform and have a few hundred more dollars to throw at the project.
+1 - - The vision, in order to make it a RTF(ready to fly) product, made some proprietary decisions, that now make it very difficult if you want to extend it, with all of the standard equipment that is available in the market out there. For instance, most radios use 2.4ghz, but vision uses 5.8ghz. The vision uses 2.4ghz for it's FPV and the more standard in the industry is to use 5.8ghz for FPV. Therefore you will have more choices when you go to upgrade the non-vision, and very little if any choices, if you want to upgrade, the vision.

I chose the non-vision, as I like to tinker...and since I bought it, I have added a much better FPV, a programmable radio(Frisky Taranis), have upgraded the GoPro with newer versions as they came out, and I am now looking into adding the lightbrige, all of which I would not have been able to do with a vision. Yes, some would argue that you WILL spend more money in the long run if you plan to do these kinds of upgrades. It all depends on how you see yourself using it, both now, and in the future.

I would go non-Vision. Getting FPV is easy. If you can work a screwdriver and watch a video instruction guide, it can be installed in about 20 minutes - and that's if you take your time!

yea the non-Vision P2 can ultimately be a much more powerful platform, but some people just don't want or need those extra benefits, and prefer the app . *shrug* to each their own

you'll still have to buy some rather expensive antenna upgrades to get any kind of decent range on the FPV/app... winds up being more expensive than loading up a non-Vision P2 if you get the stage 3 or 4 kits

I owned both. I have had zero crashes with both and no faults at all. And I liked to fly within 500m.

I liked best of both worlds though.
I hated the permanent proprietary camera on the vision plus. It only did 2 things - aerial footage and aerial photos. It had poor quality video at 1080p. It was fragile and expensive.
I liked the DJI app and the 2 way communications - radar, gs, dynamic home point, find my phantom, etc.
It was quicker to launch the Vision than the P2 Gopro as you needed to find antennas and setup the screen.

The P2 needed to have Bluetooth uplink to have 2 way coms.
P2 had better range in controls and FPV, almost double the range.
You needed to carry a the FPV device/screen otherwise you had to semi guess what you were shooting. On the vision, you could just grab any iPhone or android and download the app and be flying...
I ended up selling it.

I liked the DE concept but didn't like the price.

Solution:
Have a hybrid. A Vision Plus with H33D and Gopro.
I sold the vision plus 3axis camera and bought a plug and play a H33D and never turned back.
Cheap and simple conversion. I feel more free as I can take the GoPro and use it any which way I like. You can also leave the gopro wifi on. And you can do simultaneous video and stills. BEST!!!

If you sell the Vision Camera, it works out to be cheaper than the P2+H33D+FPV gear path.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav