Phantom Vision Plus or GoPro setup

Reaction score
New to the forums and looking for some advice on the DJI Phantom 2 Drone. I am in the market to buy a drone just now and I can’t decide between getting the Phantom 2 Vision Plus or the Phantom 2 with a Gopro Hero 3+ Black setup. I know that the Hero has better Video from what I have seen on Youtube.
Could you guys let me know what I would need for the Gopro setup to give it similar functions as the Vision Plus? I know That I will need the Phantom , HD-3D Gimbal and GoPro for starters but what else needs added for things like FPV?
What would you guys go for Vision or GoPro?

Thanks

Welcome
The P2V is a more compleat setup just add cell phone it flys on 5.8
The P2/3D for FPV you'll need a transmitter ,monitor and receiver ,good set of antennas and I would add a iosd . Flys on 2.4
I like
Immersion 600
Black pearl
Mini iosd
If you go for the P2/3D make sure you get the 2.0
Do some searching here you will find some more in-depth comparisons .
GL!

Hey fin032..don't know much about the p2v other than what 750r stated..the thing is with a p2v+ is the camera and gimble are one piece so in a crash if you damage one part of the gimble /camera you'll have to replace the complete unit..another thing with the p2v+ is that the gimble mounts fail in a majority of crashes causing the camera/gimble to detach from the phantom damaging the unit or the eletrical ribon..so if you buy a p2v+ a simple but effective cure for camera /gimble separation is a zip tie..just install it loosely incase of mount failure. . Also I'm sure that which ever phantom you pick will will be great ...turbodronepilot. .

I bought them separate for 2 reasons. First I wanted to learn to fly WITHOUT the camera and Gimbal on it. Second you can use the GoPro for a thousand other things. Plus I like the GoPro because you have so many options in settings. Plus you can take stills and time-lapse. I would alway suggest buying them separate

:D
Welcome fin032!
I think you would enjoy the new Phantom 2 Vision Plus. First Person View on your phone/tablet right out of the box! You don't have to get a bunch of other parts together. You should have better range with the plus and you can do Ground Station flights if that interests you. If you want to use a gopro camera, Drone Expert makes an adapter so you can still use the DJI app for FPV with either camera. Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks for all the replies and welcome. I think I will be on here a lot after I get my new drone. As for buying a drone I am leaning towards the P2V+ simply because it ready out the box. I think after I have been flying for a while I may then go GoPro setup

I have herd all about the P2V+ gimbal and camera problems and they do worry me as I would want to have to replace the unit after a slight bump. I have been looking in to the camera guards and ribbon protectors which help stop the camera separating. What are your thoughts on them and which one would you go for.

Thanks again for the advice. Can’t wait to get some video’s up from Scotland

You will likely be happy and have tons of fun whichever you get. I have a couple of P2's and several tiny little UAV's (so much fun and so cheap!). Right now I am using P2 with GoPro and LightBridge. If I had it to do all over again, with all the money I have spent, I would buy a P2V+ AND an Inspire 1 or something like that :geek:

Hey fin032. .without a doubt the billet gimble mount from killer rc..I wouldn't worry about damaging your p2v+ from minor crashes or even a major one ..I believe most damage is caused by the separation of the gimble / camera from the phantom. .uav bits has a guard for underneath the camera too.. I crashed my phantom into a tree at 30 mph about 100 feet up..the camer/gimble separated from my phantom and luckily I was able to repair the damage myself. .I believe that if I had a couple of zip ties on two of the gimble mount holes I wouldn't have bent my gimble. .so hopefully you will learn from my mistake and install a couple ..happy flying turbodronepilot. ..

Thanks for all the replies. I went out and got a P2V+ V3 :)

Its not been out its box yet as I would realy like the to get hold of the bracket and gaurd before flying it for the first time plus its snowing here in Scotland just now. i am going to go ahead and order them tonight so i can get it flying asap.

I have been having a look on Youtube for videos on first flights and advanced flying. Any of you guys have any links to some good videos?

Thanks,

Read the cautionary messages about flying when it is very cold. Just to be safe and all.... And congratulations on your purchase! I remember how excited I got when my first Phantom arrived, especially since I hadn't ordered it! It was Amazon's mistake... I had ordered a cheap $49 UAV just to get started, someone else ordered a phantom and Amazon got the labels mixed up. Strangely they let me keep it but I think the person that told me that (in writing) might have lost their job... I have moved on and made enough real purchases of phantom stuff and other stuff from Amazon, everyone wins. BTW, I never order UAV stuff from Amazon since I have gotten stale stock, open box, and even damaged stuff from them. I go with UAV Outlet, getfpv or B%H for the quality stuff....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers