Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Size

Re: Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Si

I have the 1550 as well - same beautiful yellow. Fits well I would say. Haven't flown with it yet. Looks like the dimensions are just over most airlines rules for carry on.

They generally say: 22" x 14" x 9" or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
Whereas the 1550 is: 20.62" x 16.87" x 8.12" or 115.8cm (52.4 x 42.8 x 20.6 cm)

But I think it will fit on regular non-commuter planes.

OK, here are a few firsts for me but all centered around the Phantom Vision and the Pelican 1550 case.

-1st time posting video to this forum and the first time I have created a YouTube video, not to mention two of them.

First up: video of the cutouts of this particular case showing the fit of the P2V in the Pelican 1550:
http://youtu.be/GTcba7eT1y4

Second up is a video tour of the same looking at the clearance in the case....
http://youtu.be/CbUPIaAr890

Enjoy.... hope someone finds this helpful.

John

Waterborne said:
OK, here are a few firsts for me but all centered around the Phantom Vision and the Pelican 1550 case.

-1st time posting video to this forum and the first time I have created a YouTube video, not to mention two of them.

First up: video of the cutouts of this particular case showing the fit of the P2V in the Pelican 1550:
http://youtu.be/GTcba7eT1y4

Second up is a video tour of the same looking at the clearance in the case....
http://youtu.be/CbUPIaAr890

Enjoy.... hope someone finds this helpful.

John

Excellent. You're a good man, Waterborne. Thanks for going to the trouble of making those vids, they're both very, very helpful. I was absolutely sure I wouldn't be able to fit my P2V in that case, now I see, if it's designed intelligently, there's more than enough room... I'll use my current case for daily use and outfit the 1550 for travel. Perfect...

Thanks again...
-slinger

After all that I decided to go with a backpack set up for hiking around. A cinema bag made for camera equipment. It has worked out well AND will meet the TSA standard easily. I'll keep my 1560 Pelican for day to day use and the pack for hiking and travel. Oh and I found the bag used on Craigs list for $90...normally $200 new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... kpack.html

Attachments

• PV bag sm pic.png
    PV bag sm pic.png
    402.6 KB · Views: 1,136

JustJames said:
After all that I decided to go with a backpack set up for hiking around. A cinema bag made for camera equipment. It has worked out well AND will meet the TSA standard easily. I'll keep my 1560 Pelican for day to day use and the pack for hiking and travel. Oh and I found the bag used on Craigs list for $90...normally $200 new.

Sweet!

THANKS for all the info here and other threads, I'm going to jump ship on the original case I bought for the P2V (MCM Electronics) ... and today I picked up a pelican 1510. Tight fit no doubt, but smaller and more to my liking. Happy to remove the props each time to drop some size and become airline carry on friendly.

Pics comparing size below, with the top one showing how I have laid out the gear in the case that is for sale. Ample space! 2 batts fit below the props on right side (not in place), and the cut out to the left of controller holds an iPhone. Lots of potential spaces for more gear to be plucked into place. Nice case if you're using it locally.

I'm going to sell that MCM case, nice, 4 latches, came with 3 layers of foam, I picked it to fit the P2V, and didn't touch the third layer of foam- I'll include that when I sell it...

...and now for sale: 1 MCM case, 1 month old, fits P2V very nicely, and the foam is already set up! I paid $55, will sell for $45 + shipping, and throw in $35 worth of stickers from: http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-graphics.php

Outside dimensions: 24 x 12 x 16, weight 14#.

PM me, and we'll figure out freight to you- shipped without extra packaging, just the case with a shipping label if you don't mind, and let me know what stickers you want. Hot deal! I'll add this ad to the classifieds if no one is interested here.

Thanks... :)

Attachments

• IMG_6722[1].JPG
    IMG_6722[1].JPG
    93 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG_6721[1].JPG
    IMG_6721[1].JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_6719[1].JPG
    IMG_6719[1].JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,205

Hey there Chuggie, thanks for the info regarding the Pelican case. I ordered the Pelican 1560 the other day after carefully calculating the space I'd need. The 1560 has internal dimensions of 510mm wide x 390mm deep x 229mm high. Hopefully this should be enough space to carry my P2 and Ground Station gear. My new P2 hasn't even arrived yet (ex- Hong Kong) but should be here in a couple of days. Anyway, thanks for your informative post and photos. Cheers, Pete

coloradosky said:
THANKS for all the info here and other threads, I'm going to jump ship on the original case I bought for the P2V (MCM Electronics) ... and today I picked up a pelican 1510. Tight fit no doubt, but smaller and more to my liking. Happy to remove the props each time to drop some size and become airline carry on friendly.

Pics comparing size below, with the top one showing how I have laid out the gear in the case that is for sale. Ample space! 2 batts fit below the props on right side (not in place), and the cut out to the left of controller holds an iPhone. Lots of potential spaces for more gear to be plucked into place. Nice case if you're using it locally.

I'm going to sell that MCM case, nice, 4 latches, came with 3 layers of foam, I picked it to fit the P2V, and didn't touch the third layer of foam- I'll include that when I sell it...

...and now for sale: 1 MCM case, 1 month old, fits P2V very nicely, and the foam is already set up! I paid $55, will sell for $45 + shipping, and throw in $35 worth of stickers from: http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-graphics.php

PM me, and we'll figure out freight to you- shipped without extra packaging, just the case with a shipping label if you don't mind, and let me know what stickers you want. Hot deal! I'll add this ad to the classifieds if no one is interested here.

I'm interested in your MCM case. Is it still available? I couldn't PM you because I just signed up here and they won't let me PM yet.

JustJames said:

Man I would like to get this !! you totally scored with craigslist on that

Studmule said:
coloradosky said:

I'm interested in your MCM case. Is it still available? I couldn't PM you because I just signed up here and they won't let me PM yet.

Thanks all- have several interested in the case, so lets say it's 'Sold' and I'll go through the PM/post in order to discuss and sell.

streetcreep said:
JustJames said:

Man I would like to get this !! you totally scored with craigslist on that

Thanks. I rarely am the guy who gets the"score" but I lucked out for once. It is very sweet. It's kinda nice if I want to just throw it on my back and go for a hike or bike ride to a remote area to fly it. Im really happy with it so far. The one thing I was concerned about was the props. But I found a clear art bin pencil box that hold 2 sets perfectly and keeps them protected.

J

Saw this picture of the Phantom in a 1510 on another forum. Pretty clean set up so I thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 1545169_10201437204953869_1112939475_n.jpg
    1545169_10201437204953869_1112939475_n.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 705

JustJames said:
Saw this picture of the Phantom in a 1510 on another forum. Pretty clean set up so I thought I'd share.

Looks Nice, His Pluck Job does appear to be a bit more efficient than mine...

JustJames said:

Are you sure that's a 1510? It looks longer than Chuggie's 1510 (even while considering that the RC and bird are closer together).

Edit: After looking at the 1510 on B&H, the picture that JustJames posted looks just like a 1510, while Chuggie's actually appears to be smaller.

yeah just a matter of perspective, photo size and orientation in the case. But they are the same. Here is a side by side compare of the 2. Makes it easier to see.

J

Attachments

• 1510 comparo1.jpg
    1510 comparo1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 639
  • 1510 comparo2.jpg
    1510 comparo2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 644

Yes, I and others have it, and it seems to work well.
Like most cases, it is larger than the 22x14x9 that the airlines define as Carry-On.
Discussed and pictured in another Cases thread.

texami said:
Has anyone considered this case for the P2V?

http://www.tradecraftcases.com/shop/tou ... -2-vision/

That looks like a very nice case, but it is too large to be a carry on, and would have to be checked luggage. My last flight the airline charged me $25 each way for each checked bag, and then they lost my luggage for 3 days. Fortunately, the phantom was carried on in the 1510, and I got some lovely videos of the beach, while wearing a dirty shirt.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Chuggie said:
texami said:
Has anyone considered this case for the P2V?

http://www.tradecraftcases.com/shop/tou ... -2-vision/

That looks like a very nice case, but it is too large to be a carry on, and would have to be checked luggage. My last flight the airline charged me $25 each way for each checked bag, and then they lost my luggage for 3 days. Fortunately, the phantom was carried on in the 1510, and I got some lovely videos of the beach, while wearing a dirty shirt.

Thanks,
Chuggie

++!

My 1510 showed up today and I agree it's a tight fit. The Phantom's arms are wide enough that they actually hang over the inside lip of the case. See pic.

So when I close the lid I almost wonder if the Phantom's shell is being squeezed/compressed/bent a little so that the lid shuts all the way.

Interested to hear from other 1510 owners on this.

Thanks.

tybesaby.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.