Phantom Vision Camera

Reaction score
My Phantom vision camera stopped working all of a sudden,I may have unplugged it while the power was on i dont recall,I received a new camera today bound it up and still no picture.I hear the fan moving and the camera initiallly moves as the drone is powered up,i notice the light in the back of the camera never lights up.I hear the fan moving though,does anybody have any ideas what to check for next.Is the camera the problem? Is there something inside the vision broken,Can i use the drone with my gopro temporarly to fly? Thanks for all the help

never plug or unplug the camera, with the drone powered on, or it will fry...

does anybody know if something inside the drone will fry if i power it on without a camera connected? Can i use a gopro in place of the original camera?

Geo thank you for responding to my post,only downfall of not using the camera i guess is that you dont know how much battery power you have and other option do not work.Is this correct?

Can't really use the GoPro on a Vision without a lot of work and some extra hardware.

Double check both cables (unplug and plug back in... while powered down, of course). Ensure the rear cable is plugged ALL the way in (I believe you'll actually hear two clicks). Ensure that the connector on the top cable isn't upsidedown. And, then, make sure the camera switch is set to "WiFi On"... sounds silly but a number of folks forget that last one.

I think all the other causes I can think of would at least show SOME light on the cam... orange or red.

My First Vision was like that with the camera (Light never on). No matter what I do. So I exchanged the whole phantom 2 vision set
Now, with my vision 8 month old, the camera sometimes simply can not be connected(Light is on and green always). Sometime it can be connected. Every time I powered it up, I worried if the camera can be connected. sometimes I sit there for 30 minutes trying to connect the camera. it is a pain in the neck. Can you tell me where you got your new camera?

does anybody know if something inside the drone will fry if i power it on without a camera connected?

Yes you can fry the cord and or the main board if you ever have the phantom powered on and some how short the tip of the plug to any of the other conductors in the plug. Such as wet grass or metal such as a work bench or some thing on the bench. also if you unplug the camera with power on that wire you can fry the camrea and or the cable and or your main board.

That cable Carry straight up power from the battery and when shorted is drawing way more amps then the wire and the circuit on the board can carry be for some thing frys. mine shorted once for a fraction of a second when I was working on my phantom and moved it on my counter and the plug end brushed up against a tool on the kitchen counter. OPPS. it melted on of the pins on the connector that is on the board right off from were it is soldered to the board. and it also fried some doodad right next to that plug which I dont know if its a resistor or a diode bit it fried it pretty good. It was turned to black crusty charcoal. I had to use a pcs of silver wire to remake a new leg and pin for the plug and replace what ever the doodad component thingy was by stealing the same unused do hickey from a spot on the board were there was the same thing going to an unused plug that said fan. on the back side of the board. and I re soldered it were the burnt one used to be.

So if every flying with out the camera plugged In I would make sure to not have that wire dangling down and tuck it out of the way some place like one of the holes in the shock mounts or some thing just to be one the extra safe side in case you land on any grass with any dew on it or what every.

yali said:
My First Vision was like that with the camera (Light never on). No matter what I do. So I exchanged the whole phantom 2 vision set
Now, with my vision 8 month old, the camera sometimes simply can not be connected(Light is on and green always). Sometime it can be connected. Every time I powered it up, I worried if the camera can be connected. sometimes I sit there for 30 minutes trying to connect the camera. it is a pain in the neck. Can you tell me where you got your new camera?
Hobby and specialty I purchased the original drone from a few months ago,horrible turn around time for repair,they claim they do the repairs for all of North America,took me over a month for them to swap out a camera and the new camera was no good still no light on the back on at all and no video from the app.

J.James said:
does anybody know if something inside the drone will fry if i power it on without a camera connected?

Yes you can fry the cord and or the main board if you ever have the phantom powered on and some how short the tip of the plug to any of the other conductors in the plug. Such as wet grass or metal such as a work bench or some thing on the bench. also if you unplug the camera with power on that wire you can fry the camrea and or the cable and or your main board.

That cable Carry straight up power from the battery and when shorted is drawing way more amps then the wire and the circuit on the board can carry be for some thing frys. mine shorted once for a fraction of a second when I was working on my phantom and moved it on my counter and the plug end brushed up against a tool on the kitchen counter. OPPS. it melted on of the pins on the connector that is on the board right off from were it is soldered to the board. and it also fried some doodad right next to that plug which I dont know if its a resistor or a diode bit it fried it pretty good. It was turned to black crusty charcoal. I had to use a pcs of silver wire to remake a new leg and pin for the plug and replace what ever the doodad component thingy was by stealing the same unused do hickey from a spot on the board were there was the same thing going to an unused plug that said fan. on the back side of the board. and I re soldered it were the burnt one used to be.

So if every flying with out the camera plugged In I would make sure to not have that wire dangling down and tuck it out of the way some place like one of the holes in the shock mounts or some thing just to be one the extra safe side in case you land on any grass with any dew on it or what every.
j.james thanks for the reply,and the important tips about the plug not getting wet,I was wondering if something inside my drone was fried would there still be the noise coming from the inside of the camera? I guess that's the fan working.i also never smelled any burning at all from the drone.i have in the past shorted electrical items out and know what it smells like,but main question is would fan still work if the plug shorted out,thanks for all the help,happy flying

depending on what part of the plug shorts would make a difrance on what burns out. and also how long the short out lasted for before some thing gives. In my case I not only smelt it I also heard the part on the broad pop when it fried. But i think what ever that part was that fried on me was some thing to do with the wifi data bus because I still had power on the cable after and the lights on the camera and the fan still worked after it shorted.

Got a brand new camera today and i connected to my phantom vision powered it up,followed the steps to bind to the extender and again no video at all.I guess something else may have fried.I Then connected the camera back to my new fantom vision,bound it and again no video.I guess i should have tried the camera on the new phantom vision to make sure it worked before connecting it to my other phantom vision that has the broken camera.Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the rest of the electronics responsible for the video? Thanks for all the help

So, The camera does not work on your new vision? that means the camera you just got is a bad one. return to get another one!

No... I think krsdj1 is right. It's something else that's fried. Remind me how a spare FC200 is packaged... does it come with new cables? Or no?

My new replacement camera didn't come with a cable..

To be able to try and see if the circuit board in side the phantom has any thing burned out you will need to open the shell and look in side an look around the spot were the cable plugs in to the board and see if any thing looks burned like in this pic here ---->
2dt9en7.jpg

krsdj1 said:
Got a brand new camera today and i connected to my phantom vision powered it up,followed the steps to bind to the extender and again no video at all.I guess something else may have fried.I Then connected the camera back to my new fantom vision,bound it and again no video.I guess i should have tried the camera on the new phantom vision to make sure it worked before connecting it to my other phantom vision that has the broken camera.Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the rest of the electronics responsible for the video? Thanks for all the help

Did you remember to upgrade the software on the new camera in case its not compatable with what's on the phantom?

Madwak said:
krsdj1 said:

Did you remember to upgrade the software on the new camera in case its not compatable with what's on the phantom?
Did this burn out as a result of unplugging the camera?

krsdj1 said:
My Phantom vision camera stopped working all of a sudden,I may have unplugged it while the power was on i dont recall,I received a new camera today bound it up and still no picture.I hear the fan moving and the camera initiallly moves as the drone is powered up,i notice the light in the back of the camera never lights up.I hear the fan moving though,does anybody have any ideas what to check for next.Is the camera the problem? Is there something inside the vision broken,Can i use the drone with my gopro temporarly to fly? Thanks for all the help
Ok so here it is are you all ready? So my camera wasn't working due to the plug that looks like a headphone plug that plugs into the camera wasn't plugged in all the way.i plugged the plug in all the way it was flushed to the socket,wow I really feel silly,So all along I was right,I never smelled anything burning when I unplugged the plug while the phantom was on,so happy it works

krsdj1 said:
So my camera wasn't working due to the plug that looks like a headphone plug that plugs into the camera wasn't plugged in all the way.i plugged the plug in all the way it was flushed to the socket,wow I really feel silly

Wasn't that, like, the very first thing I said to check? Lol

Don't feel silly, though. It seems to happen with a lot more frequency than you'd expect.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub