Phantom Vision 2

Reaction score
I really want to get a Phantom 2 after having a Parrot AR.Drone. The AR.Drone is just limited because of the wifi signal dropping out all the time. I have a few questions for some advanced flyers to answer.

1. Can you change the camera to a Go-Pro on the Vision 2 if you want to switch back and forth? Is there a reason to do this or are the comparable?

2. If you don't get the vision 2 and you just get the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse H3-2D http://www.amazon.com/Dji-Phantom-Ready ... 1391917531 gimbal can you do FPV as well? If so what do you need to buy?

3. I see that if you get the Vision 2 transmitter is 5GHz and the Phantom 2 is 2.4GHz ISM, which is better?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Hello Brad and welcome to the forums!

I also come from an AR Drone, a lot of fun I must say but pretty much a toy so looking in to the DJI quads is definitely a good choice. The Phantom Vision is very integrated and and all-in-one solution out of the box, so really replacing the camera from the vision for a go pro is not something you want to do, it is possible but things like the camera shutter and settings which you can change from your mobile device while the Phantom vision is in the air using the DJI app is something you will not be able to do if you swap the vision camera with a gopro. In the other hand if you go for the Phantom 2 and you start building a pro system like the one I see you are after with go pro, telemetry, FPV monitor and so forth the price will be higher than the Vision and not as neatly integrated. so you will need a very precise balance to make your choice :D So yes, that is the million dollar question, get the vision ready out of the box or a much better/bigger system with the phantom 2 for more $$.

For me (and please note this is my personal preference and opinion) the best DJI system is the Phantom 1.1.1. it is an old/stable platform very naked for you to build your system from the ground up, people is really enamored of the flying times of the late models but at what price? each phantom battery is $160 so because I do not mind coming back every 10 to 13 minutes for a fresh battery after I purchased my Vision I went head and bought me a P1 to do exactly what you want to do and boy am I happy! :D

Also in refference to your frequency question. I do believe that 2.4ghz is more robust than 5.8. again, both frequencies work phenomenal but 2.4 is a distance warrior with good quality all the way out.

Hope this help.

To Elaborate a little more on Amrflyingdude. answer, If you do buy a vision there are a couple of people that are manufacturing gimbals that are plug and play with the vision. some less expensive, some quite a lot more. you will have to do some research here to find out with will suit you.
(just do a search for zemmuse, Rotopixel and Dronexpert) the only issue i have with the Vision is the lack of stabilization on somewhat windy days. I am seriously considering replacing the stock gimbal with a 2 axis where i can still use the vision camera. Only cause I like the telemetry feature. And the camera is really not too bad.

Welcome to the forums and good luck

Richard

rfernandez said:
To Elaborate a little more on Amrflyingdude. answer, If you do buy a vision there are a couple of people that are manufacturing gimbals that are plug and play with the vision. some less expensive, some quite a lot more. you will have to do some research here to find out with will suit you.
(just do a search for zemmuse, Rotopixel and Dronexpert) the only issue i have with the Vision is the lack of stabilization on somewhat windy days. I am seriously considering replacing the stock gimbal with a 2 axis where i can still use the vision camera. Only cause I like the telemetry feature. And the camera is really not too bad.

Welcome to the forums and good luck

Richard

+1

Wow guys, thanks for the quick responses. Thanks for the welcome.

I'm really excited to be able to get into this hobby. I've always had R/C cars since I was about 8 yrs old (now 40) and have even dabbled in R/C helicopters (nitro & elec) but just recently purchased the AR.Drone.

I don't necessarily need FPV but I like having the option. So maybe I'll just go with the Phantom 2 with Zemmuse Gimbal for GoPro and then later if I decide to do FPV I can add that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl