Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom Vision 2 with 4G or LTE

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by nashvillephantom, Jan 13, 2014.

1. nashvillephantom

Wouldn't it be possible to give the Phantom it's own 4G or LTE signal like with a Verizon MIFI or some other 4G / LTE modem data link? I feel like this would give you unlimited ranged if you could also find a way to control the Phantom with an internet connection rather than the transmitter supplied. Just wondering...

2. amrflyingdude

For "monitoring" the camera could work but due to the expected delay will not be acceptable for FPV or controlling the phantom itself. The problem with even 4g is that the data path for the control input to get to the phantom is pretty large so the delay will not make it suitable for live real time control. It would be much like piloting the rover in mars, obviously not a 7 minute delay but enough delay to make it a problem.

To test this try to remote in to your home PC using your 4g signal and you will see how when you move the pointer it takes a bit for the screen pointer to move.

3. Pull_Up

And of course unlimited range is rather moot without unlimited battery power... :)

At 20mph average you'll get under 3.5 miles out before you need to turn around and get back.

4. amrflyingdude

+1 on Pull Up's comment

Also, take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079nFGLHQKQ

I must have watched this video over a dozen times, this guy is a great drone pilot in my opinion but now imagine him doing this with the obvious delay on his FPV goggles... See my point?

Also, 4g sometimes downgrades to 3g when we roam about, so that is another problem not including the data drops we all encounter every now and then.

5. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Holy ****, on the vid...

6. amrflyingdude

Pretty impresive isn't?

7. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

That guy could never sneak up on you. You'd always here the "clang" "clang" "clang"...

-slinger...

8. MikeON

I fly in places where there is no LTE, 4G, or 3G coverage.