Phantom Vision 2 - RAW

If it's any consolation, the failure to transfer DNG files via wireless is not restricted to DJI; it's the same with other cameras. None of my cameras with WiFi capabilities support WiFi transfer of DNG/RAW files to my mobile devices.

Maybe it's the large size of DNG files which would impact transfer performance, or maybe because there are not that many apps that can display/process DNG/RAW files. You can put RAW files onto an iPad (not wirelessly) for example; but what is displayed in the Photos app is the imbedded JPEG in the RAW file.

Personally, I don't find this to be a problem. If I feel the need, II transfer the JPEG which is taken along with the DNG to my phone and use that for simple editing and on-line sharing; and then stick the DNG files on my computer when I get home for any more serious processing.

hughden said:
If it's any consolation, the failure to transfer DNG files via wireless is not restricted to DJI; it's the same with other cameras. None of my cameras with WiFi capabilities support WiFi transfer of DNG/RAW files to my mobile devices.

Maybe it's the large size of DNG files which would impact transfer performance, or maybe because there are not that many apps that can display/process DNG/RAW files. You can put RAW files onto an iPad (not wirelessly) for example; but what is displayed in the Photos app is the imbedded JPEG in the RAW file.

Personally, I don't find this to be a problem. If I feel the need, II transfer the JPEG which is taken along with the DNG to my phone and use that for simple editing and on-line sharing; and then stick the DNG files on my computer when I get home for any more serious processing.

WiFi is used to transfer bits, not to interprete what bits mean.

I have used EyeFi SD cards for many, many years in Nikon and Olympus cameras. RAW images are wirelessly transferred to a tablet, laptop, desktop or server as I wish. As I described my workflow, I would use a smart device (in my case Android tablet) as an intermediate phase to transfer the image material to a data store for postprocessing. I have found this workflow suits for me.

I have not suggested others to do the same. I have just asked if somebody have succeeded in syncing "all" image files from FC200 to smart device. Instead of answering my question, people are trying to convince me that I don't need such functionality. Why?

I meant native to the smartphones/tablet that you want to send it too. The app is designed to transfer photos, not data - it syncs to a gallery with a format the phones can natively display. Without third-party apps the phones cannot display dng, whereas they all can display jpegs natively.

I now understand what you want to do and I think the answer is probably no as the app is currently written, but you could always email DJI and see if they plan to allow wifi transfer of non-jpeg data in the future.

Well originally it wasn't dng, it was a proprietary raw format that nothing else would read! And you'll only get dng if you update the camera - not everyone has after the reports of problems with the previous 1.19 firmware (no seemingly fixed with a NEW 1.19!).

But as I said, contact DJI - if enough people want dng wireless transfer then they might well do it...

A couple of points. Am I right in thinking that the date/time numbering system is only applied when transferring via the app ? I ask because that is the only way I do it and for me this file name format is important. Secondly, I do not buy the argument that the dng files are too large because you can successfully transfer large video files.

I personally prefer not to have to constantly remove the card from the camera on the half baked theory that every time it is removed/inserted between devices it causes physical wear and tear on the card.

The issue is not the end of the world but for people who have got used to transferring the media wirelessly it is just a nuisance that it cannot be done.

pault said:
A couple of points. Am I right in thinking that the date/time numbering system is only applied when transferring via the app ? I ask because that is the only way I do it and for me this file name format is important.

pault, there's simple way to rename any image file from "any" camera, based on the EXIF time stamp. Consistent and unique naming. But it is off topic. Contact me by PM if you want detailed instructions.

I think that having the DJI Vision app transfer the DNG files is a perfectly reasonable feature request. Not sure how easy it would be, since when you transfer images with the Vision app - they go into the iPhone's regular photo library. And I don't know what kind of support - if any - Apple has for DNG files there.

But personally, I already find it takes too long to transfer video wirelessly from the camera to my phone - and DNG files are about the same size as a 20-second video clip. The Phantom battery gives us short enough flight times as it is. I don't care to give up an extra 3-5 minutes of flight time in order to do Wi-Fi file transfers.

jimre said:
Not sure how easy it would be, since when you transfer images with the Vision app - they go into the iPhone's regular photo library. And I don't know what kind of support - if any - Apple has for DNG files there.

On Android Vision app transfers JPGs and videos to a folder named DJI_DCIM. And you can access them with a suitable app, as you will. It could be the same with DNGs. Apple OS is based on Unix and Android is based on Linux, technically they are close relatives.

jimre said:
I think that having the DJI Vision app transfer the DNG files is a perfectly reasonable feature request. Not sure how easy it would be, since when you transfer images with the Vision app - they go into the iPhone's regular photo library. And I don't know what kind of support - if any - Apple has for DNG files there.

But personally, I already find it takes too long to transfer video wirelessly from the camera to my phone - and DNG files are about the same size as a 20-second video clip. The Phantom battery gives us short enough flight times as it is. I don't care to give up an extra 3-5 minutes of flight time in order to do Wi-Fi file transfers.
Did some quick testing on this:

1) turns out the Apple Photo app (library) handles DNG files just fine. I put the P2V SD card in my iPad's SD card reader - and the DNG files were all found and transferred over to the iPad Photo app just fine. Of course, the Photo app can't actually do anything with the DNG - it only displays the accompanying JPEG, and can only make edits to that JPEG. Still, the full-size DNG file is indeed transferred over. I was then able to import pictures from the iPad into Lightroom, and the DNG files came over to my PC perfectly. So it seems there's no big obstacle on Apple's side - DJI would just need to add this feature to their Vision app at some point, if people wanted to transfer DNG files to their phone/tablet.

2) Transferring large files to your phone via Vision WiFi is simply impractical, though. I timed the transfer of some Video files to my iPhone 5S (since we can't actually transfer DNG files with the Vision app) and found the maximum transfer speed to be around 1.5 MB per second, or 90 MB per minute. Therefore, it would take over 11 minutes to wirelessly transfer a full 4GB SD card worth of data to my phone via the Vision app! That's half a flight's worth of battery time! For my 32GB SD card, it would take almost 1.5 hours (!) to transfer the full card! That's almost 4 batteries worth!

[EDIT: Ooops! Math error. The transfer times are even worse than I thought - by a factor of 4! The 11 minutes I posted above was for just 1 GB, not 4GB. Multiply my numbers above by four! So 44 minutes to transfer an entire 4GB card - and over 5.5 hours (!) to transfer a full 32GB card worth of data via the Vision app!]

So even if DJI were to implement this feature, it's safe to say I will be sticking with my card reader...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik